My E+ decided to punish me today

Eric Jorgensen

TL;DR:  Don't believe the range reporter, don't start a trip when the battery drops below 50%, and try not to push over 12 mph.

Today, I decided to do a 4.5 mile ride on 50% battery.  It was over flat road and the distance estimator said 9 miles, so I figure I was OK.   It was smooth sailing for the first 3 miles.  I ride pretty fast and my NB beeps at me to slow down, which I do, but after 3 miles the unit was down to about 25% battery and it I started getting a lot of beeps and tiltback way more extreme than the normal tiltback I get when I break 12mph.   It got so bad at one point that I almost had to stop.   I tried putting the speed limiter on, but it didn't really help.   I basically had to limp home at about 3-6 mph.   At home, the battery was around 10%.  

When I checked, the unit temp was 120F, which I guess is pretty hot.  Ambient temp was 60F.   I'm 6'2", and weigh ~230 lbs with all my gear and backpack,  which is getting up there, so I think this is what I get by pushing the unit a too hard.  So the big lesson is that the 9B range is probably half what is advertised for a person my size.  

-e

@Eric Jorgensen It is what it is - punishment!  :)  And it is advisable to try to deplete 9b1's battery to almost zero at least once, just so you know what to expect if you're on a long ride. Much easier when you are prepared to crawl like a tortoise at the end of journey. Been there done that and I know how it feels...

• 4 months later...
On 8/9/2016 at 11:27 PM, Eric Jorgensen said:

TL;DR:  Don't believe the range reporter, don't start a trip when the battery drops below 50%, and try not to push over 12 mph.

When I checked, the unit temp was 120F, which I guess is pretty hot.  Ambient temp was 60F.   I'm 6'2", and weigh ~230 lbs with all my gear and backpack,  which is getting up there, so I think this is what I get by pushing the unit a too hard.  So the big lesson is that the 9B range is probably half what is advertised for a person my size.  

-e

Yup, especially at over 135lbs. Most of the estimators, range and speed specs used by electric wheels seems to be calculated based on very small/light weight people. At least from what I'm seeing...

• 1 year later...
On 8/9/2016 at 10:27 PM, Eric Jorgensen said:

Today, I decided to do a 4.5 mile ride on 50% battery.  It was over flat road and the distance estimator said 9 miles, so I figure I was OK.   It was smooth sailing for the first 3 miles.  I ride pretty fast and my NB beeps at me to slow down, which I do, but after 3 miles the unit was down to about 25% battery and it I started getting a lot of beeps and tiltback way more extreme than the normal tiltback I get when I break 12mph.   It got so bad at one point that I almost had to stop.   I tried putting the speed limiter on, but it didn't really help.   I basically had to limp home at about 3-6 mph.   At home, the battery was around 10%.  

-e

The stupid mindless 9b saved ur life just as advertised and everyone else on this forum knows. If u can't read the instructions, at least read the Accident Reports.

2 hours ago, The Wizard said:

The stupid mindless 9b saved ur life just as advertised and everyone else on this forum knows. If u can't read the instructions, at least read the Accident Reports.

Erm. This thread is almost 2 years old.

Archived