One Footer - Tips

Master Ong

I watched this video a few times, and still have trouble learning this trick, when I lean on to my right I feel the unicycle is pushing against my shin and it kinda hurts, I cant seem to find where I need to put my weight. Help :)

:)Thanks for posting that, I have tried that some but I need a lot more practice.  I can see that it would help tremendously when changing foot position from side to side.  Now, I have difficulty getting a comfortable foot position while riding, but if I practise this I will be able to shift my feet whenever I want.

Interestingly some people either have numb shins or their pain tolerance is so high it does not bother them.

I plan to make  a set of inner shin pads out of low temperature plastic with foam inner liners that will then be held on my legs with velcro straps. Figure if I mold them to the exact shape of my inner shins the pressure will be distributed more evenly. I also do not want the guards shifting as i am riding.

I also have this problem but my 9 and 11 year old kids have no problem at all riding on one leg and it doesn't look like it is pressing on their legs at all. Of course they are lighter but I think if you get the balance there isn't all that side pressure on your leg. @Jonathan Tolhurst makes it look so easy!

I am pretty sure body weight is an important factor (as is personal pain acceptance thresholds). One way to reduce the pressure and sliding force is to lean the wheel to the side. If you watch one-legged riding vids you will find that most often they ride a curve such that the leg becomes the outer leg. This is the natural path when leaning the wheel to the side. I also found it essential to change my foot positioning compared to two-footed riding. I have to turn the forefoot more inwards than usual to get enough grip on the pedal. 

The comfort/discomfort at which you can ride your EUC one-footed may depend on several factors including

• your foot position on the foot plate and leg position against the side of the wheel
  • your balance technique/stance
  • the strength of the muscles in your leg and core
  • the shape of your leg
  • your weight
  • the amount of padding on the side of the wheel (I.e. battery/compartment covers)
  • the size and shape of the foot plates
  • The shoes you are wearing
  • Any padding offered by your trousers
  • potentially any medical conditions (or injuries) relating to your foot/leg
  • your perception of pain & pain threshold

It's quite normal to experience some discomfort when learning to ride one legged - this should hopefully reduce as you practice and build up the strength in your leg(s). Doing some exercises before and during practice may also help (E.g. gentle foot shakes/rotations, calf stretches etc).

It's probably best to watch a few different riders riding one-footed and then experiment with a few slightly different positions and see what works best for you. Try to aim to achieve the maximum amount of control & grip balanced against what you are comfortable with).

I find that some shoes make riding one-footed slightly more comfortable than others. I do wear shin guards when practising unispins/flips but find that they slightly reduce the control I have when riding one footed - they take away some of the physical connection that my leg have with the wheel.

I expect some wheels are generally more comfortable to ride one footed than others, although I have only ever ridden a NB1 :)

while i was not able to drive with one leg with my Ks14 until now....after 1,5 days on my new Ks18 ...on that new machine, where i also have still to do the "transforming" ....i done it without any problems...

as the Ks18 leans more to your knee ...it was very easy :-)

so the type of the wheel and where you got your leaning in to it, seams to play one of the biggest parts....

Archived