Time for a EUC Freestyle 'Talent' Competition -$1000 Prize

Rehab1

Update:
Time for an EUC Freestyle 'Talent' Competition Prize: $1000.00

Competition would feature a series of pre designated maneuvers/ stunts submitted by the members. Competition video footage would then be submitted by the participants to the forum for members to vote on. Since EUC members are spread out across the globe this would be a perfect way to share skills and stunts or any other form of talent and the forum members get a chance to vote for their favorite. 

This event could possibly be the impetus to get the international news media involved and the beginning of taking this sport seriously across the globe!

UPDATE: After speaking to numerous members I have decided that the completion should be more of a freestyle, anything goes competition. Tricks, humor, humaniitarian, raising public awareness on an issue, social causes, etc. This only makes sense as I do not want this competition to be inclusive and only recognize those that have possessed riding skills beyond the reach of ordinary riders. For instance @EWheelMotion has a video of him working with kids and teaching EUC riding skills while having fun.  Read my final post on this thread for more examples. Thanks for all of the kind input so far!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok...the first step is to provide an actual incentive to get this idea rolling. If a few moderators are willing to step forward and help orchestrate the competition I would be willing to provide $1000 in prize money to the winner. All I ask is that we have at least 10 competitors in the competition. The prize money would be held in a bank escrow at the moderators discretion. Anyone interested!

:blink: $1000?  You definitely are the man!  Um, any sub-prizes for coolest looking Flamebot?  JK!  We'd have a three way tie between you, me and that @tjcooper dude.  :D

Wow talk about generosity and support for this new found sport / hobby / mode of transportation!

BTW did you run this by the missus?  We'd all hate to see you have a permanent canine sleeping partner although I'm sure the dog would be more than happy to have a new sleeping buddy.  Don't forget to add in infraction one to the mix before jumping into the penalty box with infraction #2???  I'd also be afraid to see that other thread title change from "Spouse Support" to "Spousal Support!"

Maybe a reseller on the board might be interested in splitting the prize money expenditure or offer other incentives in exchange for exclusive advertising props?  Any takers out there?  $1000 is a lot for one person to front!  Unless you're super rich then in that case send me some cash too!  :lol:

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove LOL...this would be a corporate expenditure! She does not get involved with my corporate business affairs. Bringing home new expensive items, now that is different :)

I love this hobby as it has helped me cope with some very emotional times in my life and would I love to just give back! I was welcomed into this forum with open arms and that has met a great deal to me! When I see extremely skilled EUC riders performing  amazing stunts on videos while not given the full recognition and appreciation they deserve in terms of volumes of viewers I thought it would be fun to assist in putting together a competition. I cannot do this alone as it would take the moderators influence and support to make this happen. But wouldn't it be absolutely awesome to have an organized EUC tournament in the future headlining the best of the best EUC riders from all over the world? 

Let's just save ourselves some time and send the money directly to the eventual winner @EUC Extreme:D

EUCs seem to still be relatively unknown, especially when compared to things like hoverboards or the Boosted Board. There was a little bit of interest a couple of years ago with the SBU being featured on Shark Tank and we had that recent episode of Amazing Race, but otherwise the popular media knows almost nothing about them.

Maybe the major EUC manufacturers would be interested in helping out if we could get enough publicity for the event. I am thinking for example that the winner might appear on the weekend version of The Today Show in New York or something like that, they often do interesting things in their outdoor plaza area. Appearing on TV that way would generate a huge amount of publicity. That might also be done virtually, does anyone know how videos become featured on Youtube?

17 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Time for a EUC Competition'Run Off'! Prize: $1000.00

Competition would feature a series of pre designated maneuvers/ stunts submitted by the members. Competition video footage would then be submitted by the participants to the forum for members to vote on. Since EUC members are spread out across the globe this would be a perfect way to share skills and stunts combined with EUC member direct involvement.

This is not for everyone including myself but I believe there would be a huge out pouring of support in our community if we could pull this together!  This event could possibly be the impetus to get the international news media involved and the beginning of taking this sport seriously across the globe!

I am down! I could use the loot. ;) How do you unify the different styles of trick riding? We are all a bit different. 

Thank you for continuing the discussion. Certainly media attention will be a must to enhance awareness which begins with promoting the sport. We need a headliner in addition to the prize. A celebrity involved in the sport for instance. Boxer Mike Tyson drove up awareness of the hover board when his stupid fall was broadcast all over youtube and the media. Unfortunately that was a negative for hover boards (along with batteries exploding). We need to create a positive! Ideas?

57 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thank you for continuing the discussion. Certainly media attention will be a must to enhance awareness which begins with promoting the sport. We need a headliner in addition to the prize. A celebrity involved in the sport for instance. Boxer Mike Tyson drove up awareness of the hover board when his stupid fall was broadcast all over youtube and the media. Unfortunately that was a negative for hover boards (along with batteries exploding). We need to create a positive! Ideas?

If the tricks are picked by the forum, there are new tricks all the time as well as tricks already done that haven't been seen...or named for that matter. Right?

As far as contests go, I think it would have to be as they are for Skateboarding and BMX and most all action sports.

Here is the format: Everybody gets a couple complete 1 or 2 minute "runs" where as we all do the tricks of our own choice, during said time, and that is then weighed against the other contestants "runs" to find a winner. These contests were typically divided up into different kinds of skating ie skate-park type stuff and vertical ramp stuff (dirt track). There was 1st 2nd and 3rd places.

53 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Sidestreet Reny You make some excellent points! Sounds like you have participated in similar contests.  Hopefully we will get some more input from other members shortly.

Below is one of many  skateboard contests across the country, this one based in Florida. This gives me an idea on how to additionally promote EUC awareness  with this contest by teaming up with a charity. IDEAS?

The purpose of the Skateboard Rodeo is to help raise funds and educate our community on new and unique local Floridian 501c3 non-profit organizations.

This year we will be teaming up with two amazing charities; Grind for Life and Amigo Skate Charity. The mission of the Grind for Life organization is to provide financial assistance to cancer patients and their families when traveling long distances to doctors and hospitals. In addition, they educate and inspire these patients and families concerning cancer survival and recovery.
skateboard-rodeo-girls-miamiSo if you’re a skater in South Florida, consider supporting this contest event and come to Miami on November 2nd and show your shit off. It’s a good cause, it shows the Rodeo that their event is worthy to continue next year, and we need all the great events we can get in South Florida. IT MAKES SENSE!

ABOUT Amigo Skate Charity is based in Miami Florida. They work locally to help provide at risk youth with skateboard equipment, positive role models and skate park scholarships. The Amigos also travel to Havana Cuba to provide underprivileged children on the island with free skateboards, art supplies and music equipment. They have hosted skate contests and underground music events in Havana.

I Would be at the charity event in a second if I was near by for sure! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help though. @Rehab1 Your right, I was a sponsored competitive skater, I skated for Dog Town Boards and Venture Trucks! Helped me travel around and got me to Europe for contests. Competition is a big part of sports in general, it helps inspire you and pushes you to reach outside your comfort zone...and find an outlet for your ego rather than it being wasted in your daily life. ;)

Here is me Skating in Santa Cruz...

@dmethvin @EUC ExtremeLOL...you are probably right but we will see. Yes it would be great to have major EUC manufacturers involved.Hopefully we can gain some momentum of the contest n the coming weeks and see if they would be willing to increase the prize or prizes! It would certainly be in their interest!

I like the major network outdoor plaza concept and You tube saturation. Transportation costs for someone from another another country to appear on Network TV might be an issue but local USA talent is certainly abundant.

Why not freestyle.

2 minute video, the person can choose to do what they like, tricks,  down hilling, going in a straight line..

For example someone jumping out a plane with one might win, but it wouldn't have been immediately obvious.

Then a  simple vote to choose the best.

Jer

54 minutes ago, jer said:

Why not freestyle.

2 minute video, the person can choose to do what they like, tricks,  down hilling, going in a straight line..

For example someone jumping out a plane with one might win, but it wouldn't have been immediately obvious.

Then a  simple vote to choose the best.

Jer

It could turn out to be a regular talent show, lol ;) and I will ride while juggling naked and singing a song. Hehe. Seriously though imho it should all just be tricks on the wheel.

@jer  Free style would be the simplest way to arrange this and sounds like you are on the same page as @Sidestreet Reny featuring a 2 minute run. Jumping out of a plane...or helicopter.. I am not pay for liability in addition to the prize but I guess anything goes:)

@OliverH Hopefully if all goes as planned you will need many liters of coke and tons of chips just watching me go down a straight path for miles:D 

Hmm - I'm not so confident to be able to make (on purpose) any real tricks however would videos of stuff like being chased by (and avoiding) huge white poodle or near miss with drunken rollerblader in the middle of the bike lane count? :D

The only (semi-)real trick I've practised a lot is to ride in stronger gusts of wind (25 - 30 Km/h or more) ...

I think it would be really tough to judge who's "better" or who the winner would be as all the people I've seen have some mad talent.  Add in that guy from eWheelMotion:

and don't forget the Chinese:

I mean come on - these guys including the ones that frequent the forum are all crazy good... how to judge???

I agree that judging would be difficult but if the skill level can be quantified by using a point system as in any international competition I am sure the EUC Forum  members could make a sound judgement. I guess it comes down to the actual presentation (ie, the choreography, music, unique moves/tricks, jumps, etc) Maybe the best judges would be the moderators themselves which I believe would provide equal representation across the globe. 

@EWheelMotion is a real trip to watch!  From what I have seen he has all of the elements we are looking for in this competition along with many, many other ECU riders internationally such @Sidestreet Reny, @EUC Extreme @Jonathan Tolhurst.  Competition video should contain a 2 to 3 minute 'non-edited' continuous run (date and time stamped), so if you drop your wheel or loss balance that would cost points where a perfect run with complex tricks and maneuvers adds points.

I am still feeling my way through through the darkness and need assistance in nailing down the rules and judging.  Also need to know who is interested in competing? I know @Sidestreet Renyis definitely game on. Others have shown some  interest or have kindly contributed in helping me formulate the beginning structure of the rules.

I will be contact the moderators shortly for their input.

WHO IS INTERESTED? 

These guys are all sick riders and these are only some of the ones I know. The first cat Damien Gaumet is the shit, he doesn't even need his damn hands! I listed videos from Spain, France, Russia, U.K., Switzerland, Germany, Finland and the U.S. so far!

Currently I am having ongoing conversations with the EUC Moderators to iron out the rules and regulations for the competition. Great conversation, advice and feedback so far! Hopefully we can have the R&Rs completed by next week. 

What would you think of along with the serious $1000 competition having some more casual or even silly side competitions with no prizes or simple prizes like t-shirts? Something like asking for short videos that are funny, or performance oriented or from a certain age group. This lowers the bar for the more casual and newer riders to participate building the audience for the main competition and reaching more non riders who will watch on youtube. An open category can also tell you what people want to see that you may not have thought of yet.

I've been involved with juggling competitions since the 80s and have many ideas and rants about these things. Let me know if you want to hear any of them.

@Damp RabbitI totally agree. Hopefully when this event finally gets off the ground, the plans are to have a free style routine that can include any rountine you desire. If you want a comedy routine go for it. If jumping out a helicopter and landing on a bed of marshmallows is your style submit it. If pulling a group of happy disabled children in wagons through Disney World is your style (would be mine) have at it! Have fun and the voting members will join in and vote.

Example.. Who would have thought this youtube video would have garnered so many votes. Be original and just have fun!

Archived