Lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks after riding my unicycle

2 hours ago, UniVehje said:

This is great. Learning phase takes a lot more energy. When you get comfortable, you will consume less energy. Keep challenging yourself to keep the calories burning! Learn backwards riding or find a difficult off-road path. 

Today my thighs are burning after yesterday’s challenging off-road path. After the winter break I can feel my legs have gotten weaker. This hobby really is a good workout as long as the ride is kept challenging enough.

For sure and I just bought a yoga mat, some kettlebells and some free weights to start my own home gym. I fully expect to get back down to under 250 with the lifestyle changes I'm making. 

I can't wait till these vehicles become more and more mainstream. The tech behind them is also incredibly exciting 

• Like 2

If nothing else since riding EUC - i have gained weight. :efee565ab0: (Before i was cycling..)

Even at start i didn't lose any weight, (Second ride i was already riding true city/people.) because while riding EUC you are simply standing still.. More or less same thing as standing on ground..

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Funky said:

If nothing else since riding EUC - i have gained weight. :efee565ab0: (Before i was cycling..)

Even at start i didn't lose any weight, (Second ride i was already riding true city/people.) because while riding EUC you are simply standing still.. More or less same thing as standing on ground..

I think it comes down to relative weight of machine and efficiency of the moves that you make while riding it.

MS3 felt 'lazy' to ride - everything about it was just so easy, pretty much right from the get-go. Whereas the Master is still a workout every time I get on it, even though my movements have had a year to 'efficiency' themselves, and my leg muscles have risen to the task over the same period ! Stepping up onto that, if you have to do it a lot, is rather like those exercises people do where they run up and down stairs, and the sheer weight of the thing as you ride, even at higher speeds has a much higher physical demand than the smaller wheels.

To OP I would say that it will feel like less effort as time goes on, once your muscles have fully adapted the new expectations you place on them, and your movements become more refined and minimal as your XP grows.

Edited by Cerbera

I really enjoy riding the EUC.
In the evening, you can sit at home on the couch and fill your belly, or you can have a good ride. I choose the latter. :D

1 minute ago, 0000013 said:

In the evening, you can sit at home on the couch and fill your belly, or you can have a good ride. I choose the latter. :D

These things are not mutually exclusive ! There is time for both !! ;)

I don't think there is enough statistics to show EUC can help you lose weight. But one thing for sure, having an active lifestyle than a sedentary lifestyle can keep you healthy. McDonald definitely can give you plenty of calories!...and perhaps pounds!

You can be passive while riding EUC and EUC can replace bicycle. But it is a common phenomenon that getting an e-bike increases time on the bike. Same with EUC. If I used all the time cycling that I ride my EUC, I would be in amazing shape. But in reality cycling for a few hours a day is not a realistic alternative to my EUC riding. A couch is. 

One thing I do to keep the calories burning is Idling at stop lights or when I am waiting instead of putting a foot down.

It engages core, back, and thighs for a solid 1-2mins. Also great for warming up during a cold ride.

EUC is like E-Bike you can make it a healthy workout, or you can just do the bare minimum to keep moving. Its up to the riders mindset.

On 5/6/2024 at 10:16 PM, alcatraz said:

I think the weight loss is attributed to learning how to ride. Not actual riding. :)

I would agree with this statement and OP, I hope you keep-up on your weight-loss path. I'm a personal trainer/fitness coach for 20 years. On any contraption, it's the amount of activity effort/output that yields results....

It’s easy to explain the weight loss. I find that I lose weight if I ride a lot as well. You simply decrease idle time and boredom. Boredom usually leads to overeating as food is a great pacifier of that. Riding for hours and you simply forget to eat, whereas if you were at home you would have already had a few snacks as you played games or watched TV. The adrenaline likely is what inhibits appetite.