eWheels 16hr Endurance Challenge

3 hours ago, techyiam said:

Your point is very different than the point made by @Archee Jan Bloch.

Archee is not talking about catering to a few individuals to favor them due the personal difficulties they face.

He is talking about this challenge being unfair to the participates who live in the northern hemisphere due to the timing of this Challenge.

And it is well known that when it comes to range and lithium battery, ambient temperatures matter.

I think it is fair to extend it to end of June. In the month of June, the temperatures are usually decent in the northern hemisphere. He is not asking for longer.

Absolutely there are riders in Canada, Sweden and Finland that literally chew miles days in and days out and because of the weather they are being handicapped by this. I mean, it makes no f.. sense to do this challenge in winter. If they were in SoCal like Roger they can literally ride  everyday for last 120 days or so, no rains, warm weather.. for those up north, they have zero chance.. Unless this was designed to benefit only few, this makes no sense

1 hour ago, Archee Jan Bloch said:

If they were in SoCal like Roger they can literally ride  everyday for last 120 days or so, no rains, warm weather.. for those up north, they have zero chance.. Unless this was designed to benefit only few, this makes no sense

I am also puzzled as why set a deadline at the end of May, if this Challenge was open to countries all over the world.

Most people around here don't really start to engage in these type of activities until at least around mid May. And the season last thru Aug/Sept. That is the season.

I can understand in SoCal, it could end in May. Maybe for them, it is getting too hot?

Also, why artificially limit submissions if there could be better ones? Sure, there needs to be a deadline, but why so rigid, and that would handicapped or make it more difficult for the northern participants.

Not sure what the rationale is behind this particular window of time for this Challenge.

4 hours ago, techyiam said:

I am also puzzled as why set a deadline at the end of May, if this Challenge was open to countries all over the world.

Most people around here don't really start to engage in these type of activities until at least around mid May. And the season last thru Aug/Sept. That is the season.

I can understand in SoCal, it could end in May. Maybe for them, it is getting too hot?

Also, why artificially limit submissions if there could be better ones? Sure, there needs to be a deadline, but why so rigid, and that would handicapped or make it more difficult for the northern participants.

Not sure what the rationale is behind this particular window of time for this Challenge.

if @roghajwins with his 362 miles and injured leg, I have no issue with that. That wheel is about 210 lbs or so, no easy task for someone being healthy  At the same time  having 5-6  rides listed instead of a one or two tours that's a bit fishy as you want to be able the monitor the downtime as well when they charge.. either way I will do this for myself in June when the field levels a bit.. I don't think anyone cares about the distance but the prize, for me it's the other way around

1 hour ago, Archee Jan Bloch said:

if @roghajwins with his 362 miles and injured leg, I have no issue with that. That wheel is about 210 lbs or so, no easy task for someone being healthy  At the same time  having 5-6  rides listed instead of a one or two tours that's a bit fishy as you want to be able the monitor the downtime as well when they charge.. either way I will do this for myself in June when the field levels a bit.. I don't think anyone cares about the distance but the prize, for me it's the other way around

I just thought you brought up a good point, and your request was reasonable. But beyond that, I have no opinions. It's the organizers' responsibility to scrutinize the tour data entries and determine the legitimate winner. This is a first attempt at such competition at a global scale. So they may encounter some hiccups along the way. Hopefully, everything goes well enough, and more Challenges are held in the future.

I thought @roghaj and other fine folks put in some serious, creative, and valiant efforts into this Challenge. I look forward to see what people were able to achieve, and how they did it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I just thought you brought up a good point, and your request was reasonable. But beyond that, I have no opinions. It's the organizers' responsibility to scrutinize the tour data entries and determine the legitimate winner. This is a first attempt at such competition at a global scale. So they may encounter some hiccups along the way. Hopefully, everything goes well enough, and more Challenges are held in the future.

I thought @roghaj and other fine folks put in some serious, creative, and valiant efforts into this Challenge. I look forward to see what people were able to achieve, and how they did it.

give me warmer days and I give you 400 :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Archee Jan Bloch said:

give me warmer days and I give you 400 :)

I look forward to hearing your attempt in achieving 400. I hope they run this Challenge again.

• Like 1

As a rider in Finland, I support doing this in summer (if there’s next round). 

I was never going to go for extremes to actually have a chance of winning but I did want to participate as a fun challenge. We had snow until almost may. Unfortunately I didn’t find the time to do this in time. It takes a weekend with good weather to do it before holiday season. I would think holiday season in general is better time anyway. Just to get more entries, I would think that’s beneficial for the organisers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UniVehje said:

As a rider in Finland, I support doing this in summer (if there’s next round). 

I was never going to go for extremes to actually have a chance of winning but I did want to participate as a fun challenge. We had snow until almost may. Unfortunately I didn’t find the time to do this in time. It takes a weekend with good weather to do it before holiday season. I would think holiday season in general is better time anyway. Just to get more entries, I would think that’s beneficial for the organisers. 

Same goes for people in Maine USA, snow till early week of May, temps around 0C at night and during the day 10 degrees, either that or strong winds .. in February temps -20C

Hemisphereists!
Won't anyone think about the southerners when it's winter in July!

The only truly "fair" ways of dealing with this are to either:
Have a 24-hour Le Mans-type event that everyone travels to.
OR
Have everyone record their runs on a local indoor 200m track.

;)

6 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Hemisphereists!
Won't anyone think about the southerners when it's winter in July!

The only truly "fair" ways of dealing with this are to either:
Have a 24-hour Le Mans-type event that everyone travels to.
OR
Have everyone record their runs on a local indoor 200m track.

;)

Or make it a year long challenge and everyone can post their best efforts when the conditions are most favorabke where they are.  But that takes too long and we humans have short attention spans.  :)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, pikacher said:

Honestly I was going to beat roger record but my fuse blew. I was pushing 48a. Gg, I'll be more prepare next year. 

Next time I'll have 2 good legs.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 9:53 PM, Archee Jan Bloch said:

@Declan acoustic-unicyclist

As a competitor, I urge you to consider fairness and equity. 
Ok then come here to Upper Northeast when we have  60s during the day (most of may) and low 50s at night..   if you are talking about fairness  coming from Washington DC where you have have 80-90s.. good joke

Imo, 50s is ideal temp for this challenge. Comfortable temp with gear and batteries/mobo won't overheat. 80-90 is much worse conditions.

Anyways, extensions should be requested earlier on in the challenge. Changing the deadline when it's almost over is unfair to everyone who planned around the original deadline.

On 5/27/2024 at 4:20 PM, Jason McNeil said:

I'll confer with Albert, see if we can push out the deadline by a week, or two. Just learned this morning that Roger's been working on something quite exceptional, with this 9,600Wh Monster(sity), I'd say there's a fighting chance at breaking the 400 mile mark. If there's anyone out there who has charging figured out, it's got to be Roger :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/poHMhmzSCMwSwaVN/?mibextid=K35XfP

If I could do 300 miles on a 3600wh EX30 with an energy consumption average of 46.8wh/mi , I can only imagine how far I'd get on a 9600wh MasPro. Having to charge only 4x vs 8-9x would make a world of a difference. 

On 5/22/2024 at 12:42 AM, Archee Jan Bloch said:

Second, can you fix the link to the top rider as that link is not working, so we can see and lastly, I assume you go by GPS miles not by gauge / screenshot right? in that case 2nd rider should be at 310 miles not 300.

300 miles is my official 16hr GPS mileage. 310 was to get back to my starting destination.

On 5/27/2024 at 9:53 PM, Archee Jan Bloch said:

@Declan acoustic-unicyclist
As a competitor, I urge you to consider fairness and equity. 
Ok then come here to Upper Northeast when we have  60s during the day (most of may) and low 50s at night..   if you are talking about fairness  coming from Washington DC where you have have 80-90s.. good joke

For my entry, I did most of my riding at night which was in the 50s. I must say the battery sag was real.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Seba said:

I understand @Archee Jan Bloch and @UniVehje comments perfectly. Certainly, extending the competition by a month would allow more riders to compete. I can only confirm that in many countries and regions in the northern hemisphere, it is only now that the length of the day and the weather are beginning to favor such challenges. However, I am also a sports referee and I know that you don't change the rules in the middle of a game. Even if during the course it turns out that the original rules are not perfect.

The first edition of the competition showed that there is interest in such a challenge. So maybe it would be worth repeating this challenge in July? The rules in general would be the same, but the contest would run from July 1 to July 31. July is the summer vacation period in many places, so potentially more free time to take on the challenge. It's also the month with long days and the best chance of warm and favorable weather.

I would suggest that, separate from an overall classification, we also run a classification for two equipment categories - modified wheels ("Open") and factory wheels ("Production"). And I'm not talking about rewarding the winners in each of these categories separately, but at least presenting the results separately for these categories, if only for the satisfaction of the participants. This would be a nod to those who - not unreasonably - accuse the current competition of being more of an equipment race than a rider race. After all, riding 200 miles in 8 hours on a custom Monster with a 9600 Wh battery is not the same as riding the same distance in the same time, but on a factory Monster. Not to mention the different wheels.

If you convince @Jason McNeil to organize a second edition of the contest, I, for my part, pledge to reward the top three in each of the two classifications with a lifetime EUC World Premium Account.

Dawn and I both bought EUC World just for this competition.  I was waiting to the last second because I had heard that you may be releasing a version for iOS.  Turns out I like EUC World, but I'm still an iOS user.  Great program and an awesome way to referee these types of contests.  

Thanks

Edited by roghaj
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2024 at 12:11 AM, Seba said:

I understand @Archee Jan Bloch and @UniVehje comments perfectly. Certainly, extending the competition by a month would allow more riders to compete. I can only confirm that in many countries and regions in the northern hemisphere, it is only now that the length of the day and the weather are beginning to favor such challenges. However, I am also a sports referee and I know that you don't change the rules in the middle of a game. Even if during the course it turns out that the original rules are not perfect.

The first edition of the competition showed that there is interest in such a challenge. So maybe it would be worth repeating this challenge in July? The rules in general would be the same, but the contest would run from July 1 to July 31. July is the summer vacation period in many places, so potentially more free time to take on the challenge. It's also the month with long days and the best chance of warm and favorable weather.

I would suggest that, separate from an overall classification, we also run a classification for two equipment categories - modified wheels ("Open") and factory wheels ("Production"). And I'm not talking about rewarding the winners in each of these categories separately, but at least presenting the results separately for these categories, if only for the satisfaction of the participants. This would be a nod to those who - not unreasonably - accuse the current competition of being more of an equipment race than a rider race. After all, riding 200 miles in 8 hours on a custom Monster with a 9600 Wh battery is not the same as riding the same distance in the same time, but on a factory Monster. Not to mention the different wheels.

If you convince @Jason McNeil to organize a second edition of the contest, I, for my part, pledge to reward the top three in each of the two classifications with a lifetime EUC World Premium Account.

If you made the competition in July, there is still probability for the southern states to complain that it's too hot - disadvantaging them on charging and overheat issues. (Which Roger experienced already) 

@Seba

Maybe you can host challenges for Lifetime EUCWorld Access that are monitored by the App automatically? I think that would be more streamlined - can put out varying challenges. allow people to enter through the app - and open up more eyes to your mobile app?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1