2024 Begode Falcon - 14", Suspension, 100 V, 900 Wh, 1000 W Motor

techyiam

@YourAubsome Can you tell/ask Begode to add a one hand carry handle onto Falcon? Maybe also relocate the lift switch right under said carry handle?

This wheel needs a good carry handle very badly! :D Or maybe make the trolley handle same type as "Kingsong" wheels. KS-16s, 18l/xl, 16x, 14d. Where trolley handle and carry handle is one and the same?

Having great carry handle is buy & pass for me personally. 

You already said that you where talking with Begode about adding a handle.. But i wanted to ask again - that's how important a carry handle is to me. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

I hope they address the shock rebound and handle/bumper concerns as that looks to be a really fun wheel! My learner wheel has been a Kingsong 16X. I'll have a Lynx soon and like the idea of selling my Kingsong to snag this Falcon. My daughter enjoys practicing on the Kingsong, so with the Falcon being the same weight, but potentially smaller and more capable, it seems like a fun way to keep her going and add a small wheel to the mix for me. I almost snagged an Mten4, but was wishing there was a slightly larger option with some suspension. I've been eyeing the Kingsong S16 for this reason, but I'm thinking the Falcon would be perfect. First batch on a mid-level Begode wheel is a bit scary to me though. I don't want to mess around with cutouts/avoidable injuries, ha!

• Like 1

Thumbs up from me. This is a suspension wheel which has been missing. A wheel to be legally used in the EU without insurance need to meet requirement: ≤ 25 kg, ≤ 25 km/h and ≤1000 W. The Falcon has great chances to tick all these boxes.

42 minutes ago, Eucner said:

A wheel to be legally used in the EU without insurance need to meet requirement: ≤ 25 kg, ≤ 25 km/h and ≤1000 W. The Falcon has great chances to tick all these boxes.

Good point. Except the speed limit but that’s solvable and a minor point. All these requirements could be met with a bigger wheel and battery also, but this is a positive development anyway. We need more new wheels in this category. 

• Upvote 1

Speed needs to be capped in factory not just with software setting if it's to be compliant with laws and limit is different for different countries in Sweden it's 20kmh.

18 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I have 10, 14, 16 and 19in wheels and I have to say that in a city running errands the 14in is usually the wheel I take, unless I'm going a bit farther. Then it's the 19. 

You never know what size is best until you have them all. I wonder how many people take their mammoths just to go to the store and stuff. 

Interesting. You don't find much use for the 10 inch then? I've found myself using my Mten4 a lot when I'm going less than 10km or so. But maybe a 14 inch would fit in nicely in the middle. 

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

Speed needs to be capped in factory not just with software setting if it's to be compliant with laws and limit is different for different countries in Sweden it's 20kmh.

Duck that. :D I'm buying scooter - if i can't unlock speed.. No point getting euc if it's locked same speed as scooters. On euc risking getting a cutout, etc..

And where i'm from - speed limit is 25km/h -  But i don't care. I ride much slower around people and same time go over 40km/h on empty straight pathways. Limits is stupid. I'll leave at that. So this topic doesn't become another "speed/law/rules" thread.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

FYI isn't 14" name wrong..? It should be 10" or 16".

Where did you get 14"???

Rim size is 10" and tire diameter is 16". 14" for middle ground? :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Some things i would like to see improved on Falcon:

1. It needs carry handle BADLY. (Preferably one handed carry handle.)
  2. The Begode foam pads needs to go away.
  3. Add front bumper/handle rail bar. (When you remove Begode foam pads - it got empty space there, no bumper, nothing. Naked battery boxes..)
  4. The wheel sides need to be flat, the suspension needs to be covered - so you have smooth/flat sides. Also clothing can get caught in suspension?
  5. Waterproofness of some kind.
  6. Buttons and charge ports relocated on upper part of euc body for easy access. (Going under wheel, inside wheel well each time - not ideal..) Begode A2 had perfect button/charge port placement.
Edited by Funky

14 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Im always looking on what would replace my commuter (bringing on a train) wheels, currently using the MSP(53lbs) and the Tesla II (42.5 lbs),  I think both of them have larger batteries, are lighter, and have the same speed as the Falcon. Doesn't look like an upgrade at all for me.

Those wheels are unlikely to be beaten anytime soon, unless you count the A2/Mten4. The older wheels had no suspension and paper-thin plastic shells. basically nothing unneccesary. So newer wheels in the same size are unlikely to be lighter. Then again, afaik wheels from that era also were not very waterproof. 

44 minutes ago, Funky said:

FYI isn't 14" name wrong..? It should be 10" or 16".

Where did you get 14"???

Rim size is 10" and tire diameter is 16". 14" for middle ground? :D 

Good point. With the extra wide tire diameter, it likely will be an true 16" diameter in the end. I'd like to find out what the tire size is on it so I can calculate it and find out :) 

1 minute ago, null said:

This is a crappy naming convention coming from using e-bike tires where originally the large number is the outer diameter and the smaller the width (well sausage diameter). The problem is that this scales really badly when the tires get thick. Basically it's just a name at this point, this Falcon using the same 10" rim as a Ninebot S2 which was a "14"" wheel. It's stupid, we should just walk away from that convention and refer to rim and thickness..

While I agree with you in spirit, ever-widening rims mean over the last few years results in fatter tires, which results in a wider overall tire diameter. Since an extra 2" appreciably impacts your ride comfort and agility, that's why I much prefer to use an EUC's true overall tire diameter. By using the rim diameter and then adding an extra 4 inches on top, we inadvertently get pretty inaccurate numbers. For example, the Extreme is a true 18" but many people call it a 16" EUC. And on the Falcon, it (likely) is a true 16" diameter but due to the rim diameter, people are calling it a 14" EUC.

Because these numbers really do have a significant effect on the ride, I'm going to keep to the true numbers, come what may :) 

37 minutes ago, WheelGoodTime said:

Good point. With the extra wide tire diameter, it likely will be an true 16" diameter in the end. I'd like to find out what the tire size is on it so I can calculate it and find out :) 

Didn't you see the images in first post page?? The tire is ~410mm in diameter.

Same size as older 16x2.125" wheels had.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I really like that someone is still making smaller wheels and wheels for different usages. Refreshing to see anything else than just 50 kg behemoths chasing top speed. This looks like a fun wheel. 

But WHY WOULD ANYONE PUT POWERPADS ON A 14” WHEEL?!?!?? What’s the point? You cannot ride without them anymore? Have you tried to? 

Are you kidding? Power pads massively increase braking an acceleration even on such a small wheel. This is a 14" wheel that can handle stairs easily... you wanna ride stairs without pads? This wheel is super fun to bunny hop with (which is also great for jumping up curbs) and you obviously need pads for that... 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YourAubsome said:

Are you kidding? Power pads massively increase braking an acceleration even on such a small wheel. This is a 14" wheel that can handle stairs easily... you wanna ride stairs without pads? This wheel is super fun to bunny hop with (which is also great for jumping up curbs) and you obviously need pads for that... 

Sure pads do help. But if one isn't jumping and riding stairs - they aren't needed.. I have been riding my 18xl without pads for 3 years. No problem accelerating and stopping. 

My wheel start to beep like crazy as i overpower it while accelerating to fast. And while braking my ass almost touches the ground. 

1 hour ago, YourAubsome said:

A handle is a must have on all wheels, especially "small" ones. If Begode doesn't add a handle, then we will have to 3d print them like the T4 - which is what I want to avoid. I hate getting a brand new EUC and having to buy a bunch of 3d printed parts in order to achieve basic functionality that should have been part of the design of the wheel. I'm pushing for a combo handle/bumper in the front; there is already a good mounting spot for it.

Most people don't even have 3D printer - their only option would be buying metal "hardware" handles and screwing them to battery boxes or frame. (drilling holes, etc..)

I really want a strong carry handle already built by manufacturer. Also the handle needs to be bolted/fastened onto EUC metal frame. Not like Begode A2 motherboard top cover.. All that weight is held by some plastic and screws. Doesn't help that over time the plastic will crack around the screws and start letting water inside.. Begode A2 case it's very bad if it cracks, as water will get right on motherboard.

Falcon already has the "bumper" the Begode power pads.. But most people will remove them. In which case the bumpers are gone. Left behind is only battery boxes sides.. In my mind the bumpers needs to be built in the euc body, not in power pads..

Centered, right in middle of EUC carry handle would be the best... Otherwise it would lean "/" on one side while carrying. And when you place it on ground - it will start to fall over really easily. Because motor is off while carrying. Centered handle = balanced weight.

Edited by Funky

Structure

I'm a little worried about the structural integrity of the frame. It looks like the only thing holding the battery housing to the control board plate are two screws. Screws are not strong in the shearing direction. Over time, I can see these screws loosening or shearing, caused be repetitive lateral forces every time you lean to turn.

image.thumb.png.6b8b9b6bc2c88cfb04166d1b6ec738d7.png

Centered Trolley Mod

Unfortunately the position of the control board, relative to the suspension holes, doesn't make a centered trolley handle mod easy. If the display was moved a little more forward, then you could replace the suspension with a trolley handle, positioned like the OG Sherman. It might take milling a custom control board plate to make this work.

I wish Begode would just offer an option of a lightweight, suspension-free, centered trolley; directly from the factory. The Falcon is so close to being a great micromobility solution.

image.thumb.png.b748b6eece6b143951db3fb5be1603f5.png

Edited by Asphalt
spelling
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

Centered Trolley Mod

Unfortunately the position of the control board, relative to the suspension holes, doesn't make a centered trolley handle mod easy. If the display was moved a little more forward, then you could replace the suspension with a trolley handle, positioned like the OG Sherman. It might take milling a custom control board plate to make this work.

I wish Begode would just offer an option of a lightweight, suspension-free, centered trolley; directly from the factory. The Falcon is so close to being a great micromobility solution.

image.thumb.png.b748b6eece6b143951db3fb5be1603f5.pngThe position of 

"Y" shape going over suspension and out to carry handle. The trolley handle can still be at back. You just need centered CARRY handle. The "Y" structure is connected to both battery boxes and have one big handle going over the top.. (It would also act as another structural point holding both sides together.)

I also wish for lightweight wheel.. Falcon was almost perfect.

It took me 1 minute to think a solution.. If their engineering team cant think something - IDK what they are doing....

111.png

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

Structure

I'm a little worried about the structural integrity of the frame. It looks like the only thing holding the battery housing to the control board plate are two screws. Screws are not strong in the shearing direction. Over time, I can see these screws loosening or shearing, caused be repetitive lateral forces every time you lean to turn.

image.thumb.png.6b8b9b6bc2c88cfb04166d1b6ec738d7.png

Motor axle + pedals hold them also together. Each box have 2 screws. (4 per side) 4 would be better per box (8 per side)

Also trolley handle at back will help holding things together i think.. Same in front (if they add front bumper/handle)

Edited by Funky

3 hours ago, Asphalt said:

On the contrary. I don't agree.

It looks well built for a probably low cost, last-mile-device, at least as what we are seeing in this prototype. 

First of all, there is no impact type lateral loading, unless under certain type of crashes. Secondly, where are you getting the pure shear from. Since the battery boxes have depth, any lateral loading will transform to a bending type of loading. And the forces would be relatively low. (Ie. leaning to turn.) For such low stresses, and with proper spec'ed bolts, I don't see a fatigue issue here either.

Can you share some links to this type of failure in euc's?

Edited by techyiam

2 hours ago, Tomallo said:

I'm curious if the wheel diameter will stay at 3.5 inches, this seems quite fat. Perhaps a suspension "Ninebot Z10" spiritual successor if it stays that way? 

You can always mount smaller width tires.. No-one is stopping you. If you like 2.5" go ahead. :) I like 3" the most - because you have the most options to choose from.

And people who like biggest diameter tire can go 3.5" if they choose.

Now if that wheel had 2.5" tire as it's original one.. You could not go bigger. But smaller - always, tire spacing is what counts.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1