Inmotion V14 Adventure 50S. (Update: Mine has arrived)

Unventor

8 hours ago, Unventor said:

any tips on the suspension adjustment?

The upper knob (this is the compression resistance adjustment) is turned along the "-" arrow as far as it will go, and the lower knob (this is the rebound adjustment) is turned along the "F" arrow as far as it will go, then back four clicks. You can try variants with three and five clicks, here you can try it as you like. It is also necessary to completely loosen the spring preload nut (it is the big nut on top), it is tight, it is very difficult to do it by hand without a wrench (I don't even think it's possible), you can use a hammer with a short wooden stick or a screwdriver.

9 hours ago, Sergey Sh. said:

It is also necessary to completely loosen the spring preload nut (it is the big nut on top), it is tight, it is very difficult to do it by hand without a wrench (I don't even think it's possible), you can use a hammer with a short wooden stick or a screwdriver.

I am not sure I follow you on this here. If you had a picture to show this I might get the idea better.

15 hours ago, Unventor said:

I am not sure I follow you on this here. If you had a picture to show this I might get the idea better.

This is the "Spring Preload Adjustment Knob". The installed spring is quite stiff and tightening this knob makes the spring even stiffer. In order to make the suspension softer, you need to loosen this knob as much as possible. You can't do it with bare hands without special tools, but you can use a hammer and a short stick made of hard wood or plastic. The stick should be placed on the knob and hammer blows gradually unscrew it. A screwdriver can be used instead of the stick, but this may damage the paint on the knob.

00001.jpg.842df16e84491e323ceede5264e79222.jpgPreloadknob.jpg.f4ffdaae37a9f7113fb1a96087a8befa.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sergey Sh. said:

You can't do it with bare hands without special tools, but you can use a hammer and a short stick made of hard wood or plastic.

There are collar wrenches for that specific purpose, unless there isn't enough room.

wrenches.jpg

$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

There are collar wrenches for that specific purpose, unless there isn't enough room.

I have one, collar wrench 45-52, but yes, there isn't enough room.

19 minutes ago, Sergey Sh. said:

I have one, collar wrench 45-52, but yes, there isn't enough room.

I see.

On my S22, I did it by hand.

I put my wheel on its side so the tire is off the ground (no load on the spring).

I was able to turn the collar with one hand and at the same time turn the spring with the other hand together.

I don't own a V14, so I don't know what else may work.

It is just that proper preload shouldn't be that many turns after the collar has come into contact with the spring.

Should it be that tight?

24 minutes ago, techyiam said:

On my S22, I did it by hand.

I put my wheel on its side so the tire is off the ground (no load on the spring).

I was able to turn the collar with one hand and at the same time turn the spring with the other hand together.

I don't own a V14, so I don't know what else may work.

It is just that proper preload shouldn't be that many turns after the collar has come into contact with the spring.

Should it be that tight?

My son rides an S22, so I am well aware of what you wrote.
It really is easy to do it by hand on the S22.
On the V14 I tried that, I have very strong hands - but it's impossible.
And even after using a hammer to completely unscrew the preload - the spring is still very very tight, no comparison to the S22.

Edited by Sergey Sh.
  • Upvote 1

Thanks a lot @Sergey Sh. Now I fully understand you. I think part reason for you need a tool on the V14 is the spring is stronger than on S22.

I also asked Inmotion for some tips, so we see what happens on that front. 

34 minutes ago, Sergey Sh. said:

And even after using a hammer to completely unscrew the preload - the spring is still very very tight, no comparison to the S22.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Good to know.

Are you implying that the free-length of the spring is too long for the shock on the V14?

1 minute ago, techyiam said:

Are you implying that the free-length of the spring is too long for the shock on the V14?

Yes it is. I think this was done on purpose to reduce the need for preload and get maximum suspension travel.

53 minutes ago, Sergey Sh. said:

Yes it is. I think this was done on purpose to reduce the need for preload and get maximum suspension travel.

I belong to the school of thought that doesn't believe this is the good decision. 

It sounds like an unprofessional design decision.

It is bad practice to use an over-length spring so that the spring can be pre-compressed by a significant amount, and not fear that there wouldn't be enough spring stroke.

That's crazy.

By what you said about how tight the spring was, only a certain weight heavy dude would have the proper sag. And for some lighter riders, there may be no sag.

If you don't mind my asking, is your V14 suspension as plush as your son's S22?

Edited by techyiam

59 minutes ago, techyiam said:

is your V14 suspension as plush as your son's S22?

Unfortunately, right now I'm only riding the V14 at home in the hallways )), since a large amount of snow does not allow for a full test. The suspension on the V14 feels a bit stiffer, and I think it's not as plush as on the S22, but still I find it quite comfortable. My weight is about 80 kg. I ordered a softer version of the shock absorber with a 500-650 lbs/in spring on AliExpress, I want to check how the suspension behavior will change after installing it.

Edited by Sergey Sh.
  • Thanks 1

Hi and welcome @Tony_Inmotion

The forum being international please use English as it is our common language.
You can use auto translation like deepl.com or translate.google.com if needed.

deepl gives: Would it also fit the V14? I'll definitely give it a try when I get my V14.

Edited by null

3 hours ago, Sergey Sh. said:

Unfortunately, right now I'm only riding the V14 at home in the hallways )), since a large amount of snow does not allow for a full test. The suspension on the V14 feels a bit stiffer, and I think it's not as plush as on the S22, but still I find it quite comfortable. My weight is about 80 kg. I ordered a softer version of the shock absorber with a 500-650 lbs/in spring on AliExpress, I want to check how the suspension behavior will change after installing it.

Would be nice to hear how this feels.

So time for a little update on my Adventure.

I had plans to ride this weekend as weather had an opening within the rain and storms we have had. 

But my bad knee decided otherwise for me. But today I pushed forward. And I rode to work and a shopping detour on the way home.

Now keep in mind I am not in best form to ride and I used to ride much slimmer wheels and mostly no power pads. I have had a few things to adjust to on the V14.

So when I wrote it was a classic Inmotion wheel this comes down to being top heavy similar to V8 and V10f. This comes into play when trolleying around in a shop and you need to reach out for something or lean it against something while you need both hands free. When riding I don't feel it nearly as much.

Now withe the tire I have now it is feeling like this shape of tire Ll which means together with being wide body shape that is do not turn as nimble as super low speed as I am used to on V11. Also the tire most likely need to be run in so it could change in time.

I don't think it uses that much more power to ride as I advrage around 20wh/km which used to be 18-19 wh/km on my V11 and KS18L. Some might find it uses more if ridden aggressively. I have not pushed it hard yet. Top power around 2000watt and top speed around 38-40kmh averaging 25ish kmh, very similar to my V11.

But that said it really runs smoothly. It is very easy to accelerate on it and there is just a sensation of huge amounts of power to tap into. You feel especially going up hill. Normal I would get tired in my feet due the season break of riding. But that isn't as big an issue as it normally is compared to my V11.

Now I added the pads witch has done 3 things for me. I don't look at graceful stepping up and coming to a stop.  But once up I feel a bit more guided to the right position and in case of a bump I am less likely to land on a wrong spot on the pedals. But since I am not used to pass I have them kinda loose position compared to where I stand when I ride.

The pads did help with the point of contact on my legs so it feels more comfortable. They also help when leaning the wheel as mentioned above during shopping.

So the suspension. That is something I can't put my finger on. It is kinda soft yet hard. I don't have any real sag once I step up on the wheel. So maybe I could benefit from a softer spring but it feels nice over minor bumps and smoothing out minor things. Hard bumps do not make it bottom out at least in street rides or going down a curb. But I guess I could use some sag when hitting a pot hole. Also the rim diameter make bumps feel different compared to me V11. But I have an amazing tire on the V11. So I am considering getting one as similar as I can since that tire is not made for the V14 rim size.

So the bottom line I have not adjusted just yet to the V14. But I will in time. It feels great just to go cruising on so far. My total distance is just short of 40km. It uses roughly 1% battery pr 1km. That is far enough for me. 

Ohh and the weight...I think that is part why it feels direction stable when riding. It doesn't feel like a gyro effect as on a Z10. It is possible to lift but it isn't something I would do often. In that case I would use the V11 or a V11Y.

I had very high expectations to the V14. I am not disappointed but I just need a bit more time to fall madly on love with it. It will happen I am sure.

And I have a few things incoming to help me out with that. But that is for a different post.

One last thing I do hear the warning beeps at 40kmh and in a FF closed helmet. So they work pretty good in my opinion.

The suspension is something I need to fiddle around with I think. For now ai do not fully understand the settings to hit the best settings for my body weight. It cannot be fine-tune for weight as a air suspension but it do however feel great on smaller bumps.

• Thanks 2

So @Jason McNeil I see you have been very active with Inmotion dialog to make the best of things for the V14.

Have you any insight to a suspension setup that is targeted for rides that doesn't use the V14 as a jump skateboard? Or to put it in a different way, trail and street rider that doesn't do big jumps but the occasional curb drop?

The setup I have is the fastace with the white progressive coil . But even at 95kg geared up, I don't have any sag stepping up on the EUC. So I guess I need a softer setup. For now I am adjusting to the ride behaviour of the V14.

So if you have any input it would be much appreciated. Or anyone else that has fiddle around with the setup. I am riding to get the ride to wear in the tire and yes I might need to lower the tire pressure a bit more, but that still do not give any sag on the suspension.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Unventor said:

The setup I have is the fastace with the white progressive coil . But even at 95kg geared up, I don't have any sag stepping up on the EUC. So I guess I need a softer setup. For now I am adjusting to the ride behaviour of the V14.

They've now got a load of the 500lb shocks, replacing the whole assembly, rather than just the spring, which is a bit of a PITA. If you contact your point-of-sale, they should be able to provide one of these at like $100-$150... Based on the earlier Customer feedback, we'll probably be splitting the suspension type across both the 500lb & 900lb, to get Customers what they want out-of-the-box, which is always the objective. :D 

image(39)2.thumb.jpg.6868964fef73f9ea5f45b2669f3cbb55.jpg

• Thanks 2

So the past few days is been rain a lot here so ontop of pains in my knee, I have not been riding.

But I got a few things in the mail today. I reached out to @Bob Yan to support his Pidzoom products as I like the ideas he has.

So I ordered these products from him.

V14 relative stuff

I will start with the TPMS1. I like the idea since I am a bit lazy to check tire pressure. On the V14 it is relatively easy to see the tire but to see how squishy it is while standing on the EUac not so much. And here in the start it helps to have a pressure monitor system. The Idea is also to have a sensor on bothe my V14 and V11 and share the display between them. So I got 2 mounting sets. Unfortunately I can't get the sensor to fit the V14 without rubbing the inside of the battery boxes. I hope Bob find a way to get this to work on V14 too. Btw you can change the battery in the sensor. It should last a out a year.

The other part is the Finger horn. It has different settings for sound and 3 levels of loudness. It can be very very loud. The good part is the Finger trigger which is much better than I expected. It has an elastic Velcro fitting strap the fits 1 or 2 finger or 1 finger while wearing gloves.You can find more on YouTube on this product if you want to know more. It can also double as a motion alarm on your EUC. To me it is the finger trigger part is the biggest selling point. I could have used this on my last 3 rides 

V14 relative stuff

I used 3M duallock to mount it as it is more durable when I need to recharge it 

V14 relative stuff

Here is the finger trigger resting on the lift handle so I don't forget to bring it. I plan to ride to swimming hall at some point so here I will lock it up with a chain and park it on front bumper to hide the anti theft function.

The last part I got is the Charger Enhancer. I plan to use this in my garage while charging as it is in a next door building. Mainly to stop charging to avoid overcharging. And so I can leave the EUC on charging without having to go back later to disconnect it later.

Unfortunately I didn't get the Y splitter cable to allow using 2 chargers. But it will do in most cases. Very nice green box finish. But I am not a fan of the yellow connectors or adapters. The GT60 connectors and do not get along that well. But it is what it is. I gues the settings is fairly simply once you get used to it. 

V14 relative stuff

Now speaking of charging. At first I think the charging post could have been better placed to avoid water ingress. But now I think it is actuallyuch better as I always forgot to put the rubber cap back on my V11 so many times  having it placed where it is on V14 makes it less easy to forget to close up.

So tomorrow around 7am I am riding to hospital on the V14 to get my regular 7 week interval drop medicine to keeps my rheumatic systems at bay. 

So 4.5 hours of sleep before that.

Hopefully I get to ride more in the weekend.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BlueCrow said:

So is the new knobby on the V14 50S tubeless?

No it isn't tubeless. I have not yet taken off the tire but the rim looks different to any other EUC I had before.