Inmotion V14 Adventure 50S. (Update: Mine has arrived)

Unventor

Linking it here to keep the video in my review focus. As I am likely to do this in the future 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Unventor said:

As I am likely to do this in the future 

Great, i should have my wheel by the end of this week and i will report back some measurements on the max extension/travel etc.

@mih if you need anything specific you want to know about the V14 I will do my best to answer it.

Today I got the following info from my contact at Inmotion. This it kinda taken out of context so...

Quote: "V14, spring, 200*56mm"

Note: This means the eye to eye installation x travel. 

Confirming the info @Jason McNeil posted in a picture earlier.

So a little more info on how it is going with my V14. 

I now have around 120-125km of ride on it. I raised the top speed limit to 50kmh and the alarm top 45 kmh. This seems to suit my rides on bikelanes that are mostly empty. 

I have had a few near crashes mostly because cars do not show their intent to drive or stop. But so far I managed to save these situations. Sometimes the pads helps other time they limit my control so I am still learning to ride with pads. I have never been a fan of pads or atleast power pads. 

So yesterday I had like 25km ride and today a 12.5km ride. It seems to help my knee to get back into shape and realeasing the constant pains. And the odd part I do not get tired feet nearly as easy as in other seasons after the winter break.

Now the ride is very stable in a straight line, but I am missing some of the nimble turning I could do on the V11 still. But I think it gets better with I have adjusted more to the V14 and gotten stronger in my knees. Now I don't look as much as an alpatross take off but I am not grateful gliding off just yet either.

But I guess I just need more miles in my legs before I head off on a trip to Denmark. Another part is I might be running in the tire too.

And I found the Pidzoom charger enhancer to be very nice in the way I chard my V14. It in a garage 100-150m away from my apartment. So I use it to cut charging but not having to run down from 4th floor to cut the charge of from the EUC.

@Bob Yan I just miss an easy charge preset switch when you use this between different models. But the great part is it is small and light so you can being it with you in a backpack if you need to charge on the go. Noted you have to bring a charger too. The change of setting is relatively simple, but it could have been designed to be faster, but that is why product development occurs. The short story is it works nicely. Good job @Bob Yan.

Now one thing I am not enthusiastic happy about is the trolley handle of the V14. It works but that is about it. It is not convenient to use. But maybe there is some great news on this in not too far future. But I will leave this as cliffhanger. Maybe @Jason McNeil have done some magic on this. If so thanks Jason 😁 if not I am happy for him taking credit for this anyway. 

As soon I can share more I will do so. 

Ohh I almost forgot. I had to break semi hard today due to a car riding to a T-crossway, the car coming from small road to turn into a main road and the bikelane crossing just short of a car length beside it. I could have been braking much harder but it felt under good control and no complaints from the EUC of overcharging on hard braking. Only afterwards when typing I recalled I should have checked the app for negative force but I forgot to do so. 

I hope this makes more sense looking at the map in street view.

Screenshot_2024-03-11-22-29-50-43_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.thumb.jpg.053017ce533bcc86a0c4fc6596f50154.jpg

The sight around the corner is limited due to the tall signs. But this is when I started to look right on the T section just spotting a car coming up very fast. What the guy was thinking I don't know. He finally starting to brake just stopping hard crossing one of the bike lanes due to abs kicking in. I could have stopped but glided passed him just shaking my head. There is no way he could have made a turn onto the road due to both speed and other traffic. I guess that is the benefit to riding in high visibility colours. 

Now that said another fun story of today is I were on a @Duf coffee run. Kinda. Or I rode to get coffee beans to make coffee at home. The guy on the shop that sold me the beans asked what kind of BMW MC I am riding, since he seen mpst that ride in Klim suits and in a Adventure Badeland A3 pro rides BMW. I couldn't help laughing pointing at my V14 that I trolleyed into the shop. So he had to bend over the counter to see it. Then he just looked at it in disbelief...and I added it do 70kmh and about 100km pr charge...and I got the classic you are crazy...

The guy and 3 other customers just dropped the jaws as they saw me riding off (once I got outside). 

That is one thing that I found with the V11 it looked serious not like a toy, but beside V14 being both smaller and bigger it do not at all look like a toy. Yes it is not like a 22" EUC but it still looks rather "I mean business" still.

• Thanks 3

Let’s try to guesstimate that spring.. but this is based on many assumptions. You weigh 210lb geared up and the weight of the EUC minus the wheel portion is 55lb, so we’ll say 265lb total. The V14 has 85mm travel, but we’ll call it 3” since they probably lie.  You would either want 1/3 sag (like MTB, cars) or if you want it plush 1/2 sag; we’ll solve for a linear system first. So that would be a 265lb/inch spring for 1” sag, or 175lb/in  for 1.5” sag. By looking at the linkage the motion ratio is probably near 2:1 (that is generally the MTB target) so multiplying by the values above we get: 530lb/in for standard 1/3 sag setup, or 350 for super-plush. Wild guess is that stock spring is around 750lb/in. And there is probably pre-load, so not surprised you don’t make it sag (it will feel like shit!) If you want to take measurements of actual total suspension travel, and actual shock shaft compression we can figure out the real motion ratio and you’ll get a lot more accurate.

40 minutes ago, drader said:

Let’s try to guesstimate that spring.. but this is based on many assumptions. You weigh 210lb geared up and the weight of the EUC minus the wheel portion is 55lb, so we’ll say 265lb total. The V14 has 85mm travel, but we’ll call it 3” since they probably lie.  You would either want 1/3 sag (like MTB, cars) or if you want it plush 1/2 sag; we’ll solve for a linear system first. So that would be a 265lb/inch spring for 1” sag, or 175lb/in  for 1.5” sag. By looking at the linkage the motion ratio is probably near 2:1 (that is generally the MTB target) so multiplying by the values above we get: 530lb/in for standard 1/3 sag setup, or 350 for super-plush. Wild guess is that stock spring is around 750lb/in. And there is probably pre-load, so not surprised you don’t make it sag (it will feel like shit!) If you want to take measurements of actual total suspension travel, and actual shock shaft compression we can figure out the real motion ratio and you’ll get a lot more accurate.

I appreciate you input. 

Now I doubt the lie, but that is not saying numbers might look different in these cases. So my plan is to get the Inmotion kit and see how that goes.

Now I would not say it feels like shit, that is your words. 

However I don't have sag and it do take some force to make the 600-900lbs spring to move. Once that impact level is reach it is a very very smooth sensation.

So for now I rather get a kit that is relative cheap. Then I can take put the stock system and measure all I want and get real nerdy and find a better solution that is more fine tuned. Or I might find that kit solution actually is a nice fit and good enough to want I want. 

Time will tell. Now one thing I am evaluating too is to get something with low maintenance. And a backup solution so I can ride as much as possible. I were very happy with my V11. But I am now liking the V14 a lot so I might not use my V11 that much in future.

(You might have noticed that it is possible so say same thing without the heavy loaded negatives).

6 hours ago, drader said:

The V14 has 85mm travel, but we’ll call it 3” since they probably lie.

Nope , they aren't lying . The travel without the shock in is 85mm. Also my Fox float DPx2 7.875"x2.25" EVOLV fits the v14....well sort of. For some stupid reason the shock loops on the Fast ace are 14mm with a reducing bushing down to 12mm and the Fox shock is 15mm with reducing bushings down to13mm so you need several 15mm OD to 12mm ID bushings as well as some 12mm washers to shim side to side. Rides like a dream now though, 275psi 25% sag.

20240313-171601.jpg

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Nope , they aren't lying . The travel without the shock in is 85mm. Also my Fox float DPx2 7.875"x2.25" EVOLV fits the v14....well sort of. For some stupid reason the shock loops on the Fast ace are 14mm with a reducing bushing down to 12mm and the Fox shock is 15mm with reducing bushings down to13mm so you need several 15mm OD to 12mm ID bushings as well as some 12mm washers to shim side to side. Rides like a dream now though, 275psi 25% sag.

20240313-171601.jpg

An air shock need more maintenance than a coil shock right?

The reason for me going with Inmotion kit solution is partly due the bushings and spacers were something I couldn't find info on. So thx for that detail of info.

Btw have you been able to test the V14 a bit bit before swapping out the shock?

Overall I know it is a little early still but anything you notice about the V14 compared to other EUCs you have ridden. I mean something that stands out?

Edited by Unventor

7 hours ago, techyiam said:

did you check the sliders for stiction? If yes, how was it?

Yes, 0 stiction. The sliders are very smooth with little to no resistance.

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

An air shock need more maintenance than a coil shock right?

Yes, fox suggests "air sleeve maintenance " every 40hrs along with the normal clean and inspect bushings/sleeves you would do for a coil shock and fluid service is the same for both at 200 hrs. I have had several fox air and coil shocks and usually just do the service every 200 hrs "roughly" anyway and forgo the 40 hr interval without any problems, they are pretty durable as long as you aren't burying it in mud and water every day.

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

Btw have you been able to test the V14 a bit bit before swapping out the shock?

A little, the original coil over shock is to stiff for my liking. Although its good for jumps, it lacks small bump compliance and had about 2% sag when i stood on it. Since i am not doing massive jumps with the thing, i would rather have it more plush. The good thing about having an air shock though is i can pump it up to dial it in exactly for my weight or higher if i plan on doing some large jumps, the fox EVOL can be pumped up to 350 psi. It's also about 3 lbs lighter than the coil over.

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

Overall I know it is a little early still but anything you notice about the V14 compared to other EUCs you have ridden

It's definitely, faster off the line than my v11/v13 as well as having a lot more low end torque than both. But those are the only other 2 i have ridden except for the v5f briefly.

• Like 3

I ordered this one.

Inmotion v14 shock kit.

Inmotion v14 shock kit.

Inmotion v14 shock kit.

It is a Inmotion suspension kit rated 500 to 650lbs. 

I just hope I get it in time to install it and test it out before I am going on a trip to Denmark mid April. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Unventor said:

(You might have noticed that it is possible so say same thing without the heavy loaded negatives).

What heavy-loaded negatives? I take the time to try to help you and this is what you comment on? ANY suspension that doesn't have droop will ride like shit... that is not a negative, it is accurate. True story - the VW Alltrack was a car that came from marketing to compete with subaru. They jacked the car up on the standard Golf platform, to the point that there was very little droop. And it rode.. weird. Ok for a soccer-mom, but no where near as nice as a basic Golf, that has more equal compression and rebound. The car rides way better when you lower it back down.  I guess I also criticized the actual travel probably not being 85mm. I've just seen a pattern on "other" brands: when the shock bolts up it takes up a bit of space that otherwise looks like travel. Happy to hear Inmotion is accurate here. I am not actually negative on the V14, in fact I want to buy one. I do scrutinize all these early EUC suspension systems, because the first few iterations proved they had no idea what they were doing. The V14 looks like they finally got it right, except for spring rate, which is to be expected. I appreciate: the 2:1ish motion ratio, pneumatic shock, progressive spring, smooth/simple slider system, and 85mm of true travel. Should be less maintenance, and easier maintenance than the Patton.

So today I got my other shock option from Inmotion.

V14 optional shock

Fastace model BDA53C

V14 shock option

So it has a 500-650 lbs spring.

So next step is the installation which I expect to happen in the upcoming weekend.

Hopefully this goes well so I have it is sorted out before I come to visit Denmark mid April @CasperBak.

• Like 1

So today I got my other shock option from Inmotion.

V14 optional shock

Fastace model BDA53C

V14 shock option

So it has a 500-650 lbs spring.

So next step is the installation which I expect to happen in the upcoming weekend.

Hopefully this goes well so I have it is sorted out before I come to visit Denmark mid April @CasperBak.

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

it feels softer now and the suspension now contracts easier. But ai didn't get to measure the sag. But is was much nicer going over street bumps and up and down curbs.

Good to hear, I might even consider doing it myself, although I kinda like the firmer suspension. Looking forward to meeting you :)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I just got too curious to resist. So last night I ordered a set of orange top side panels. And last week a Roger Charger SC.

On 2/21/2024 at 1:56 AM, mtl said:

@Unventor, how did the stance feel going from V11 to V14? Is it noticeably wider, and did you have any issues with that? Also, how was the stability going down to the smaller wheel diameter

I am not used to wide stance wheels. So in the beginning this was challenging. But in my case there is more to that story. I ride because I have rheumatic diagnoses in several joint and it shifts at random. But my right knee has a permanent damage and this hurt more when initially riding the V14.

But training and building up muscles around the knee will ease the pain and I am slowly shifting from pain to longer rides. 

Regarding the charger, I don't mind if the wheel charges slowly so long as the charger is silent, and feel better having the wheel close by or within eyesight while charging. Supervising a wheel connected to a noisy charger would be irritating. Ideally we could get a configurable charger that could switch between slow/quiet and fast/loud, and perhaps something in between to charge a bit faster when out and about but avoid tripping circuit breakers.

I am very much on the same page. But I ordered the Roger Charger to have a more compact mobile solution in case I will need to charge fast. Like when I go to Denmark in a few weeks. Luckily this time I can bring the car but that is not always possible.

Agreed the V11 handle is very practical and sturdy, both of which sound to be lost going to the V14

Something is in the works once I know more I will post about this read once I have the solution (still being look at how to do it), I will review it here. I don't have pictures of it just yet.

So for now I am vey happy with my V14. Yes it isn't as super nimble as my V11 with K66 tire but it is a very great cruise wheel in my opinion.

Yesterday I went on an Adventure 😁. Taking a new route between 2 shops.I ended up on a newly constructed horse trail. The problem was it was very loose sandy so the wheel  sagged in like 2-3" so it was impossible to ride. After like 300m walking my wheel I came to a road or a road under construction. Very sandy and loose gravel but now the wheel only sagged like 1-2“. It was very very hard to ride it but I managed to ride this like 500-700m. Then I got back to asphalt roads and bike lanes.

So what I had difficulty with the wider stance on the V14 is no longer a problem. I like my V11 but this package of the V14 is a very different wheel and I have full confidence in it.

I went to IKEA for coffee and cake and a few bits and bobs. While drinking the coffe I did a FW upgrade.

Normally I would never do this on the trip but it just shows how much trust this V14 gives me. Normally I don't go up or down curbs that often. But the V14 despite of a smaller rim diameter has not had any problems with this. So now I don't avoid this I just do it.

It isn't a wheel for every one. But it is a very flexible wheel. And hold on to you helmet. Simply the best EUC I have had so far.

On top of that the extra stuff I have from Pidzoom (Horn Bell and Charge Enhancer) is very nice add-ons. Too bad the tire pressure monitor didn't fit the V14. That is down to the solid motor rim  so the sensor hits the battery pack on totations.

I will come back with more things soon. And an update with my trip to Denmark. But that trip is a hole different story.

I hope the weather is with us @CasperBak

This video will make so much more sense later.

Once upon time....

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

@Unventor, I'm happy to hear that your knee pain is lessening and you are getting used to the wider stance. I've been on the V14 four times now and the wider stance feels natural to me as well. It took a while to get back out there as I damaged my ankle badly on the first ride. That is mostly healed now.

I'm curious to hear your handle solution as I haven't quite figured out a stable point to put my helmet while trollying. However, I realized a benefit to the flat top today in that you basically have a convenient place to sit anywhere you stop. Never having mounted a seat on the V11, I didn't know what I was missing.

Nice to hear you have trust in the new wheel! I wonder what the typical breaking-in time is for a new EUC to be fully confident. When first learning, I had read that you need 1000km before exiting the learning stage. Hopefully moving over to a new wheel can be done with less time / distance. :)

18 hours ago, mtl said:

@Unventor, I'm happy to hear that your knee pain is lessening and you are getting used to the wider stance. I've been on the V14 four times now and the wider stance feels natural to me as well. It took a while to get back out there as I damaged my ankle badly on the first ride. That is mostly healed now.

I'm curious to hear your handle solution as I haven't quite figured out a stable point to put my helmet while trollying. However, I realized a benefit to the flat top today in that you basically have a convenient place to sit anywhere you stop. Never having mounted a seat on the V11, I didn't know what I was missing.

Nice to hear you have trust in the new wheel! I wonder what the typical breaking-in time is for a new EUC to be fully confident. When first learning, I had read that you need 1000km before exiting the learning stage. Hopefully moving over to a new wheel can be done with less time / distance. :)

In most cases it takes me  around 300+km to get intuitive linked to the new wheels behaviour. Also to take into consideration is a time can take some time to be ridding in. Think of it as you get new shoes. It takes time for them to shape to your feet.

I agree the V14 is nice shape and height to sit on for a rest. But I can't see myself doing seated riding due to my bad knees ai can't shift from stranded to seated stance during riding. 

About the handle I will post more once I got more info.

3 hours ago, BlueCrow said:

Did the lighter 500 lb. spring come with spacers? Mine did but the stock white shock kit didn't use any spacers when I took it out.

I am not fully sure. I mean I am not familiar with MTB suspension parts. 

Since I ordered a full suspension kit I just swapped out the shock with the coil mounted. There is a "normal" screw the goines into a long screw like tube that long part is what holds the shock in place through the eye. On one of these 2 tubes-screws that goes though the lower eye there are a part that keeps this in place. If you watch the Inmotion Global official YouTube video how to change the shock it properly makes more sense I guess. I didn't take pictures of this when I made the swap. But you can see my alternative shock in this thread.