Best Selling Electric Wheel in 2022 at eWheels.com

techyiam

I would surmise that eWheels.com is one of the largest, if not the largest distributor/dealer of electric wheels in the US.

According to their website, their best selling electric wheel for 2022 is the Inmotion V12. A honorable mention went to the V11, receiving a top seller label.

I am trying to figure out what makes the V12 the best seller.

The V12 does not have a suspension. In 2022, the selection of suspension wheel was fairly comprehensive. And many riders have said that suspension is a game changer. Yet, Inmotion's own V11 was not crowned in 2022, albeit it sold very well.

The key specs for them are:

(1) 84V, 1500 Wh battery, 2200 W motor, 60 lbs, 55 km/h top speed for the V11.

(2) 100.8V, 1750 Wh battery, 2500-2800 Wh motor, 64 lbs, 70 km/h top speed for the V12.

So which type of riders would choose a V12, given its specs.

The V12 is not a beginner's wheel, but there have been those who have learn on them. The V12 was my 2nd wheel, so I would suspect many would also have chosen the V12 to help them venture deeper into their electric wheel journey.

Another group of riders who would choose the V12 are those who commute around town. They want something that is reliable, hassle free, and economically to get around. And once they reached their destinations, they would want a wheel that is easy to manage.

I have read online that some rider said top speed was a consideration when choosing the V12 over the V11.

Of course there are other factors at play. Inmotion does have a reputation for build quality, waterproofing, and emphasis on safety. But then the V13 is the epitome of this, yet the V13 is not one of the top sellers, even in it's own class. So the reason could be a combination of factors.

I would have guess the S22 / Master class of wheels could have been contenders since the specs are somewhat close. If I were to buy a wheel from this category of wheels, I would not buy one from the V12 class, and an another one from the S22 class, for example.

The Master and S22 sold very well. What could have been if the S22 and Master did not have so many issues.

Going forward, it looks like Kingsong has decided to put the S19 up against the V12/V11, the 60-70 lbs, 1800 Wh class). But Inmotion should be releasing new wheels in this class. This could be an interesting battle.

At the same time, the 77-86 lbs 2300 Wh class is brewing (Patton, Commander Mini, Extreme). For 2023, it would be interesting to see which wheel will take top honours as the best selling wheel.

Edited by techyiam

29 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I would surmise that eWheels.com is one of the largest, if not the largest distributor/dealer of electric wheels in the US.

According to their website, their best selling electric wheel for 2022 is the Inmotion V12. A honorable mention went to the V11, receiving a top seller label.

I am trying to figure out what makes the V12 the best seller.

The V12 does not have a suspension. In 2022, the selection of suspension wheel was fairly comprehensive. And many riders have said that suspension is a game changer. Yet, Inmotion's own V11 was not crowned in 2022, albeit it sold very well.

The key specs for them are:

(1) 84V, 1500 Wh battery, 2200 W motor, 60 lbs, 55 km/h top speed for the V11.

(2) 100.8V, 1750 Wh battery, 2500-2800 Wh motor, 64 lbs, 70 km/h top speed for the V12.

So which type of riders would choose a V12, given its specs.

The V12 is not a beginner's wheel, but there have been those who have learn on them. The V12 was my 2nd wheel, so I would suspect many would also have chosen the V12 to help them venture deeper into their electric wheel journey.

Another group of riders who would choose the V12 are those who commute around town. They want something that is reliable, hassle free, and economically to get around. And once they reached their destinations, they would want a wheel that is easy to manage.

I have read online that some rider said top speed was a consideration when choosing the V12 over the V11.

Of course there are other factors at play. Inmotion does have a reputation for build quality, waterproofing, and emphasis on safety. But then the V13 is the epitome of this, yet the V13 is not one of the top sellers. So the reason could be a combination of factors.

I would have guess the S22 / Master class of wheels could have been contenders since the specs are somewhat close. If I were to buy a wheel from this category of wheels, I would not buy one from the V12 class, and an another one from the S22 class, for example.

The Master and S22 sold very well. What could have been if the S22 and Master did not have so many issues.

Going forward, it looks like Kingsong has decided to put the S19 up against the V12/V11, the 60-70 lbs, 1800 Wh class). But Inmotion should be releasing new wheels in this class. This could be an interesting battle.

At the same time, the 77-86 lbs 2300 Wh class is brewing (Patton, Commander Mini, Extreme). For 2023, it would be interesting to see which wheel will take top honours as the best selling wheel.

I'd guess the relatively small size, touch screen/aesthetics, price, and visibility on Amazon have a lot to do with the V12 being most popular. The street wheel probably helps too.

I think you nailed it with the around-town use.

Edited by Esash
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Esash said:

I'd guess the relatively small size, touch screen/aesthetics, price, and visibility on Amazon have a lot to do with the V12 being most popular. The street wheel probably helps too.

I think you nailed it with the around-town use.

It certainly seemed like around-town use is one of the big factors. You would think the S22 would have monopolized the offroad use category. 

I think the telltale is the choice of battery capacity and 64 lbs. weight. It appears 1776 Wh battery capacity is enough. That means for these folks, venturing outside their normal routes is probably of secondary concern.

With my V12 or T3, I basically just rode what I needed to get around. I didn't really go outside of that until I got my 2700 Wh Abrams.

But now that I got more comfortable on my Abrams, I even prefer to ride around town on my Abrams over my V12, oddly enough.

For 2023, I would expect a suspension wheel to displace the V12 as the best seller. It would be interesting to see what battery capacity it would be.

Edited by techyiam

When wheel weight and size have been discussed, it’s been common for people to refer to whichever US distributor’s website touting a big heavy wheel as their bestseller. While I’m not much surprised about the results, there are a few things that prevent me from putting too much weight in them.

1) Price. eWheels’ fame can’t be disregarded, but it has seemed to me that a lot of people are still price hunters. I have no idea how the pricing has been compared to other sellers, but if the V12 is $100 cheaper at eWheels, most V12 customers shop there. Period.

2) Being a bestseller at eWheels doesn’t make the V12 a global bestseller. I’m sure it’s up there, but EWheels are still just one shop.

3) V12 was introduced in late spring 2021. I don’t think Master and S22 had gotten much momentum by the start of 2022 just yet. Heck, to me it has seemed that they are both still struggling with getting the wheel to sell in a ready-to-ride state.

21 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

When wheel weight and size have been discussed, it’s been common for people to refer to whichever US distributor’s website touting a big heavy wheel as their bestseller. While I’m not much surprised about the results, there are a few things that prevent me from putting too much weight in them.

1) Price. eWheels’ fame can’t be disregarded, but it has seemed to me that a lot of people are still price hunters. I have no idea how the pricing has been compared to other sellers, but if the V12 is $100 cheaper at eWheels, most V12 customers shop there. Period.

2) Being a bestseller at eWheels doesn’t make the V12 a global bestseller. I’m sure it’s up there, but EWheels are still just one shop.

3) V12 was introduced in late spring 2021. I don’t think Master and S22 had gotten much momentum by the start of 2022 just yet. Heck, to me it has seemed that they are both still struggling with getting the wheel to sell in a ready-to-ride state.

The EeVees guys in Vancouver said last year that the V12 and V11 were their top sellers as well, so the V12 is probably the top seller in North America at least, perhaps with the V11 coming in 2nd.

I believe it.

• You can pay crazy prices of 3000 and (way) above for a peak performance wheel.
  • You can pay around 2000 for a V11 or a bit more for a V12, wheels which are modern and plenty fast and powerful enough with good range, and they have nice build quality and seem to last a while.
  • Or you can pay a significant share of that money for older models or something with laughable performance and range in comparison.

Not hard to choose what the best option here is! I assume the T4 also sold well, for the same reason.

-

I'd really like to see a distribution of prices people pay. "Best selling model" (or not) doesn't say much if you have models available for a fraction of the year or many models in the same category of speed/battery/price. People's price ranges would be more interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esash said:

The EeVees guys in Vancouver said last year that the V12 and V11 were their top sellers as well, so the V12 is probably the top seller in North America at least, perhaps with the V11 coming in 2nd.

That’s probably not far from the truth. EUC World had most miles on an S18 last year, V11 being a close second. Don’t remember how the V12 stacked up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

On the homepage of ewheels.com, at the very top, it states that they don't shipped outside of US and Canada.

But that is the data I was interested in because big heavy wheels are mostly sold in the US. The fact that the V12 and V11 sold so well in the US tells me that this segment of the market is still one of the biggest, even in the US. And the battery capacity is only 1776 Wh and 1500 Wh respectively.

So to me, it makes sense for Kingsong to come out with the S19 and attempt at some conquest selling. Of course Inmotion is not going to be sit idling by and will also be releasing something to compete. 

The S22 has also sold well, despite of its pre PRO issues. So I suspect the 2220-2400 Wh market is also sizable. And we will be seeing this market segment heating up with the soon to arrive models such as the Patton, and Extreme. I want to say Commander Mini too, but I don't see anybody is carrying this model in Canada and the US. I thought the Mini was listed on the Alienrides website earlier, but I think it got taken down.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

On the homepage of ewheels.com, at the very top, it states that they don't shipped outside of US and Canada.

But that is the data I was interested in because big heavy wheels are mostly sold in the US. The fact that the V12 and V11 sold so well in the US tells me that this segment of the market is still one of the biggest, even in the US. And the battery capacity is only 1776 Wh and 1500 Wh respectively.

So to me, it makes sense for Kingsong to come out with the S19 and attempt at some conquest selling. Of course Inmotion is not going to be sit idling by and will also be releasing something to compete. 

The S22 has also sold well, despite of its pre PRO issues. So I suspect the 2220-2400 Wh market is also sizable. And we will be seeing this market segment heating up with the soon to arrive models such as the Patton, and Extreme. I want to say Commander Mini too, but I don't see anybody is carrying this model in Canada and the US. I thought the Mini was listed on the Alienrides website earlier, but I think it got taken down.

The thing is, the economy is bad and getting worse. Now the neocons in the white house want to escalate with china even if it means tanking the main st economy even more.

Sony has hardly sold any of their new VR headsets, and Meta has already cancelled 2 upcoming VR headsets.

Money is the #1 reason the V12/V11 are #1/#2.  And disposable income is going down, not up.

So none of those $2800+ wheels are going to become the #1 seller.

Even the T4 is too expensive for that in this economic climate.

Maybe the M10-4 type of wheel has a chance to be #1...

Gotta give Inmotion a lot of credit, they really know how to hit the sweet spot, V13 excluded. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Esash said:

The thing is, the economy is bad and getting worse. Now the neocons in the white house want to escalate with china even if it means tanking the main st economy even more.

Sony has hardly sold any of their new VR headsets, and Meta has already cancelled 2 upcoming VR headsets.

Money is the #1 reason the V12/V11 are #1/#2.  And disposable income is going down, not up.

So none of those $2800+ wheels are going to become the #1 seller.

Even the T4 is too expensive for that in this economic climate.

Gotta give Inmotion a lot of credit, they really know how to hit the sweet spot, V13 excluded. 

If cost is the only factor that determines which wheel becomes the best seller, why didn't the Begode T3 become the best seller since it costs less, or wheels that costs about the same like the Kingsong 16X, or the 18XL?

The T4 is only about $200 more. Electric wheels can be ridden for years. To spread the extra cost over a few years, makes it insignificant. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone I know rides a v12 in my town. Even new people either have a v11 or v12. INMOTION is the most popular company and availability on Amazon prime is great. But the cost is the #1 reason it’s a best seller. No one new wants a Begode. So t4 is not even in the picture, especially considering how ugly and like prototypes Begode wheels look. 

If cost is the only factor that determines which wheel becomes the best seller, why didn't the Begode T3 become the best seller since it costs less, or wheels that costs about the same like the Kingsong 16X, or the 18XL?

The T4 is only about $200 more. Electric wheels can be ridden for years. To spread the extra cost over a few years, makes it insignificant. 

Nobody said cost is the only factor. It's just the #1 factor.

Simply put, most people have or put a price limit on their budget for the one wheel scooter thingy, and it's closer to $2000 than $2500.

2 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Everyone I know rides a v12 in my town. Even new people either have a v11 or v12. INMOTION is the most popular company and availability on Amazon prime is great. But the cost is the #1 reason it’s a best seller. No one new wants a Begode. So t4 is not even in the picture, especially considering how ugly and like prototypes Begode wheels look. 

Hey congrats on your Olympic track career. I've been training in the 40 yard dash for a few years and I often think of you, the fellow EUC rider who was an Olympic sprinter.

• Sad 1

Then why the Begode T3 or any one of the other cheaper models isn't the best seller since they are cheaper.

Because that's 2017/2018 tech with shitty build quality and sometimes questionable electronics. People want performance and capability that should be good enough compared to the current state of the art.

15 hours ago, mrelwood said:

EUC World had most miles on an S18 last year

The S18 is also one of those wheels that I believe sells (or sold, now that there are better options) very well without many noticing. Looks cool, modern tech, good build, close enough to top performance (at release), cost about 2000. Exactly the same effect I assume for the V11 and V12. Something people can buy that is modern and reasonably priced, works for them, and is not crazy expensive or a waste of money for old weak stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Esash said:

Money is the #1 reason the V12/V11 are #1/#2.

That’s a brave claim. It wasn’t for me. I’ve been prepared to buy a new and more expensive wheel for over a year now, but there simply haven’t been any new wheels that would be a worthy buy or a better match for what I need my wheel for. And I’ve heard many others say the exact same. Nothing to do with price. It’s about the market segmentation for weight, build quality, ride comfort, etc.

It doesn’t though. It might if purchase decisions were made solely by the price. But they are not.

Look, $3-4k wheels would’ve been surreal just a few years ago. No-one would’ve paid those prices since there were several wheels available already below $2k. But currently $3-4k wheels are the only option for new and specwise relevant wheels, so if you want a new wheel, you have no choice but to pay. The problem is that you’d pay for much more speed, battery and weight than most riders need. That’s what drives people to buy old models. The largest middle segment simply didn’t get any new wheels to choose from, so V11, V12 and S18 were the only ones to choose from.

I agree, though it seems like the V13 is doing surprisingly well too.

I dont believe it, EUCs are really gaining in popularity. As to the topic, the new 3-3.6kWh wheels may really be too much for most people. I did an 80 kilometer tour on my EX20 yesterday, with a 50 min lunch break spent charging it with the stock charger, and at the end of the day I still had 55% battery left despite weighing well over 120kg in all my gear.

To me personallyit is still worth the weight and the cost though - finally, finally no more worrying about running out of battery and having to find a place to charge and having to wait two hours when doing very long tours like I have always had to do with my V11! That is such a relief!

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

Scooters are a gateway drug……..

I met a shopper at Walmart who was riding an electric scooter. We had a quick chat. Apparently, he was at Eevees looking to buy an electric wheel. But since he couldn't learn to ride an electric wheel in the amount of time that he was there, he bought a fairly capable electric scooter, instead.

I wouldn't be surprised that he would convert further down the line. 

• Like 2

When it comes to the bigger picture I think that appearance do sell a lot, Inmotion designs their wheels with a sleek finish that appeals to people who are not that into the technical aspect of EUCs, looks do sell and I think there are many riders who don't hang around forums or go too in depth into the technical aspects, I think Inmotion is pretty aware of this and put a lot of effort into the finish of their wheels.

Same goes for many other things like cars or gaming computers etc.

Helmets are another great example of this, many people in this community choose looks over function in their helmet even amongst experienced riders that has high requirements from wheel itself.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 2

New riders are no longer coming from the civilian population in the same numbers they used to because they are being scared away by the constant drumbeat from the community about how dangerous wheeling is. So smaller wheels like V8 and 16S are no longer being sold in huge numbers.

As a result most new riders are now coming to EUC the community come from other platforms ... electric skateboards and scooters. They want something more than a beginner wheel but aren't ready to shell out the big bucks for a high-end wheel. They look at V12 that appears to be safe (again, thanks all you chicken-littles) has decent specs and looks pretty.

There are so many high-end suspension wheels coming in that this will be pretty fragmented with no clear leader for a while.

• Like 1