NY Daily News: FDNY says LI-Ion fires as deadly as 9/11

GothamMike

• GothamMike changed the title to NY Daily News: FDNY says LI-Ion fires as deadly as 9/11
4 minutes ago, Robse said:

ok, i see .... nothing than gdpr problems :facepalm:

Annotation 2023-02-27 015457.jpg

You're not missing anything. I'm in the US and am blocked by a paywall and can't read more than a few sentences.

Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 20.01.02.png

Edited by litewave
  • Haha 1

Those hoping for US made wheels may get their wish granted. If import gets banned then, a domestic expensive alternative will eventually pop up. Existing wheels will increase in value. 

Importing wheels without packs could become a thing. Then you get your packs made domestically.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Those hoping for US made wheels may get their wish granted. If import gets banned then, a domestic expensive alternative will eventually pop up. Existing wheels will increase in value. 

Importing wheels without packs could become a thing. Then you get your packs made domestically.

More risky, but to each his own.

Citing from the article: 

In 2022, lithium ion batteries were the cause of 216 fires.

I assume this is NYC, so does anybody know how many fires there were overall, approximately? After all, for the conversation to be had it seems pretty relevant whether 216 fires is 1% or 5% or 20% or 70% of all fires.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Citing from the article: 

I assume this is NYC, so does anybody know how many fires there were overall, approximately? After all, for the conversation to be had it seems pretty relevant whether 216 fires is 1% or 5% or 20% or 70% of all fires.

NYC has strict fire codes, We've had the towers brought down by fire, and lots of old (wood based) construction.  You won't win a numbers argument if the FDNY wants a Li-Ion ban.

• Upvote 1

Easiest prediction ever.

Now lets do the now mostly easily accessible 40 or 50+MPH capable wheels riding in traffic whose (electrical) failure mode dumps you on the road as an immediate candidate for a dynamic suspension test of the automobile at the rider's 6.

Any predictions how long it'll take for your country's lawmakers to put pen to paper regarding these wheels if it hasn't already happened? In a way, it's lucky that ownership costs are relatively high for these more capable wheels.

1 hour ago, GothamMike said:

We've had the towers brought down by fire

I mean, if you still buy that line. Sure looked like 3 highly controlled demolitions to me that day with the official reason and reports used as tools to prevent the easily-led and emotionally charged public away from any line of thinking that the powers that be have no problem making (public) sacrifices when it comes to geo-political and strategic interests. Kind of like deliberately provoking Japan and then letting Pearl Harbor happen as shock-and-awe justification to shout-over the isolationists regarding Europe's war and get us into WW2.

Well anyway, Lucky Larry Silverstein, the MIC, and many others sure made out big that day (and the ensuing decade+ of wars of occupation). But I don't want to go too off-topic here... ;)

• Like 1

Bill Ritter and FDNY's Laura Kavanagh discuss crack down on lithium-ion batteries

Eyewitness News ABC7NY

February 16, 2023

FDNY's Laura Kavanagh joins us on set to discuss the crack down on dangerous lithium-ion batteries after the recent related Brooklyn fire.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-ebike-battery-fire-crackdown-20230224-6iyehvyskjg3ffqsd32fyn5p3e-story.html

Feb 25, 2023

New York Daily News

E-bike fire claims another life as NYC begins proactive battery crackdown: FDNY

An e-bike battery fire has claimed another life as city agencies began a proactive push to prevent similar blazes from occurring, FDNY officials said Friday.

A 67-year-old woman critically injured when a faulty e-bike battery sparked a fire in her Brooklyn apartment building on Feb. 14 died of her injuries at Wyckoff Heights Medical Center earlier this week, fire officials said.

Firefighters putting out the blaze on Goodwin Place near Greene Ave. in Bushwick found 50 lithium-ion batteries inside the apartment where the flames sparked.

The tenant had transformed the home into an off-the-books battery repair shop, Chief Fire Marshal Daniel Flynn said.

“It only takes one,” Flynn said. “Having 50 inside is tremendously dangerous and having 50 that weren’t functioning properly — they’re set to fail. We’ve seen this several times throughout the city where people have these makeshift repair facilities in private dwellings.”

The victim lived in another apartment in the building. Her name was not immediately disclosed. A second resident suffered a minor injury in the fire and was also taken to Wyckoff, authorities said.

To prevent similar fires, FDNY fire marshals, fire inspectors and members of the city Sheriff’s office conducted inspections of Manhattan bicycle shops and other businesses that sell e-bikes and batteries to make sure they weren’t lithium-ion fueled powder kegs ready to explode.

“We inspected these locations to see if they violate the city’s fire code,” city Sheriff Anthony Miranda said Friday. “It’s a holistic response to this dangerous situation. These shops are in buildings with families living above them so these stores aren’t only a danger to themselves, but to everyone around them.

In one bicycle shop on Broome St. in Chinatown, inspectors found hundreds of lithium-ion batteries being charged in racks along one wall next to dozens of e-bikes and scooters. The batteries were being charged in a room where children slept at night, Commissioner Kavanagh said.

2KZLDRVVNJDSRMXDUZUGWTZIGQ.JPG

An apartment in this burned Bushwick, Brooklyn building was turned into an off-the-books battery repair shop, FDNY officials said. (Luiz C. Ribeiro/for New York Daily News)

It is a worrisome corollary to the advice that keeping our machines near to doorways is the best idea in terms of getting them outside quickly if there is a fire. Of course that does also block the exit, if it is too late by the time you try to move the machine, and it is already too violently on fire to contend with. My house is a good example of such a situation in that one main exit has become permanently sealed over time, leaving just the one exit from the house that doesn't involve windows, and my wheel is kept quite  close to it for swift removal. In my situation I will hopefully have a choice about running past the wheel, or stopping to take it with me, with the aid of my sacrificial welders gloves and spare MC helmet, which is positioned to be easily grabbable near to the wheel.

The crackdown should not be on Li-ion batteries themselves. It should be as it currently is, focused on the lunatics who are setting up these charge shops under residential buildings.

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2023 at 1:57 AM, GothamMike said:

NYC has strict fire codes, We've had the towers brought down by fire, and lots of old (wood based) construction.  You won't win a numbers argument if the FDNY wants a Li-Ion ban.

I don't want to win an argument. I just want to understand the problem.

10 hours ago, Paul A said:

IIRC, this was not a battery fire, right?

News outlets are usually a rather poor goto source to actually understand a problem. They love to commit the Appeal to Fear Fallacy and it's so f***ing hard to not fall for it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mono said:

was not a battery fire

Fire was caused by a refrigerator.

The Grenfell fire perhaps demonstrates the high level of concern to the FDNY.

Apartment buildings.

High density of people.

Difficulties in evacuations

Limited escape routes

Accessibility to fire on multi levels at great heights

Range of equipment hoses/ladders/water pressure

Escape routes cut off

Volume and intensity of fire

Physical limitations of residents

Percentage of fires caused by lithium batteries might not be the main interest of FDNY.

The extreme difficulties and higher complexity of apartment building fires, make them much more lethal.