Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Mango

Hey guys, this is actually a brilliant video demonstrating differences between a 16" wheel and an 18" wheel. They risked their wheels to sand damage to show how they handle differently in tough conditions demanding high power draw. It looks like the 18" wheel has some advantage to not sinking as much in the sand while the Patton has plenty of torque to push through it all. Both riders had to step down and reset at one point; I wonder if the gyroscopic forces of the 18" made a difference to stability. Looks like Zen Lee was able to stay upright a bit better but I bet both riders are comparably skilled and fortunately in this video they look similar in weight and height. Edit: I cross-posted this in Kingsong subforum. Please don't merge. I want to get thoughts from both groups of readers.

Edited by ikeceosaor

5 hours ago, Tomallo said:

Camber? You mean caster right? As in changing the pedals "neutral position", whether they lean you a bit to the front or to the back?

I translate with the deepl so I don't know exactly what it says in my English text hehehehe. I mean at first the wheel was tilted forward and then I put it tilted backwards. And with the heidenau that made the wheel much better at turning.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 12:42 AM, Pablocavern said:

I translate with the deepl so I don't know exactly what it says in my English text hehehehe. I mean at first the wheel was tilted forward and then I put it tilted backwards. And with the heidenau that made the wheel much better at turning.

Despite some improvement as mentioned above, I strongly advise against the heidenau. I have looked up The local EUC store has recommended putting the v12ht tire on the Patton. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 hours ago, Pablocavern said:

Despite some improvement as mentioned above, I strongly advise against the heidenau. I have looked up The local EUC store has recommended putting the v12ht tire on the Patton. I'll let you know how it goes.

I 100% agree. While some may like that characteristic of the tire, it probably won't suit most riders.

On 7/22/2023 at 2:13 AM, Cyberwolf said:

Depending on what the final word on power specs look like and form-factors available, I've been toying with a few different mounting ideas and options as well...

I can recommend something like the sofirn C8L. The beauty of a hand held light is that you can point it to where you want to go; awesome in turns. 

Dawn Champion recommends a much larger light, but it is physically larger, heavier and more expensive. My C8L is sufficient and relatively cheap. There is some possibility of it becoming damaged in case of an off - so not spending a huge amount is good. Also this is a great all round light for general use.

image.thumb.jpeg.32d3b1d7ca58ee1afce15dede8c0a51f.jpeg

Edited by Uras

On 12/1/2023 at 10:42 AM, Pablocavern said:

I mean at first the wheel was tilted forward and then I put it tilted backwards

That will make the steering a bit more forgiving. Essentially you're moving your weight a bit behind the axis - weight forward of the axis on a small wheel will turn tighter but less forgiving. I believe it is equivalent to head angle on a mountain bike (slack vs steep). The only potential downside (theoretically) is riding backwards. I prefer a bit of backward tilt myself - it seems to help with all my riding (hopping kerbs, steep descents etc).

On 12/2/2023 at 9:40 PM, Uras said:

I can recommend something like the sofirn C8L. The beauty of a hand held light is that you can point it to where you want to go; awesome in turns. 

Dawn Champion recommends a much larger light, but it is physically larger, heavier and more expensive. My C8L is sufficient and relatively cheap. There is some possibility of it becoming damaged in case of an off - so not spending a huge amount is good. Also this is a great all round light for general use.

image.thumb.jpeg.32d3b1d7ca58ee1afce15dede8c0a51f.jpeg

Thanks for the info! 

I toyed around with a few different lights from aliexpress and some 3-way switches and Schottky diodes (light-both-drl), but ultimately decided I was too busy elsewhere to spend any more time with it and ended up just using a helmet-mounted light.

This one's been working very well - no flood (only spot), but still works great (and very lightweight):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071QXH72Y

Also, I've found that the helmet-mounted light has a massive advantage in how easy it is to track the upcoming path/trail around turns or curves at speed...

• Like 1

This is a low production video just showing some of the commercially available upgrades for the PATTON. If anyone is interested in the LYNX, this will give you some idea what you may want to add on to (at least the tire, break light and seat) I have the part list in the comments section of the video if you want what you see in the video.   And just to update you guys about the Shinko 241 SR tire, pleassseeee switch over to it!! 

• Like 2

Just received my Patton today and had a quick test of what it’s like to ride and for me it’s like learning to ride all over again coming from a small Begode mcm5. 

The weight will take some getting used to as it leans a lot when going slow but for me it was the pedals that I found locked me in too much as I am used to the sandpaper effect on the mcm5, almost fell straight away as I couldn’t get my foot off the pedal which was embarrassing as I dropped it scrapping the pedals on my first go.  Can’t imagine how bad it must be with the spiky erides pedals.  

Also the 62lb suspension before any tweaking also feels very plush, won’t be jumping so it should suit me fine. 

1 hour ago, Spiwrs said:

Just received my Patton today and had a quick test of what it’s like to ride and for me it’s like learning to ride all over again coming from a small Begode mcm5. 

The weight will take some getting used to as it leans a lot when going slow but for me it was the pedals that I found locked me in too much as I am used to the sandpaper effect on the mcm5, almost fell straight away as I couldn’t get my foot off the pedal which was embarrassing as I dropped it scrapping the pedals on my first go.  Can’t imagine how bad it must be with the spiky erides pedals.  

Also the 62lb suspension before any tweaking also feels very plush, won’t be jumping so it should suit me fine. 

Give it a week and your mcm5 will feel weird and you will wonder how you could have been riding around on that small thing. 😂

It's always a good idea to tune suspension from factory settings, even if you think it's fine.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2023 at 4:39 PM, Cyberwolf said:

Thanks for the info! 

I toyed around with a few different lights from aliexpress and some 3-way switches and Schottky diodes (light-both-drl), but ultimately decided I was too busy elsewhere to spend any more time with it and ended up just using a helmet-mounted light.

This one's been working very well - no flood (only spot), but still works great (and very lightweight):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071QXH72Y

Also, I've found that the helmet-mounted light has a massive advantage in how easy it is to track the upcoming path/trail around turns or curves at speed...

for sure - that's the ultimate mtb night riding setup; light on bike, another on helmet. With euc we have the luxury of hands free which opens up some more options

• Like 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Does anyone mount a Garmin Varia on their Patton?  I was guessing the best place was between the turn signals as it keeps the rear handlebar free?

Also I find the Patton extremely easy to mount and keep upright, it must be a great wheel to learn on. 

Edited by Spiwrs

On 3/12/2023 at 2:00, Pablocavern said:

On 12/3/2023 at 2:00 AM, Pablocavern said:

Finally the dealer of the area recommended me to put the tire that carries the Inmotion v12ht and it is a marvel. On asphalt it is quiet (it should spend a little less battery because there is less friction) and takes the curves with smoothness and stability. On offroad I have not noticed that it gets worse.

On 12/12/2023 at 3:32 PM, Bigkidneys said:

Hey guys.  Been scrolling the thread as I am new to the community.  Been using my V11 for 200 miles now and decided to upgrade to the Patton as the suspension on my V11 wasn't up to snuff for my weight.  I think my right shock was leaking in the lower chamber.  Anyway, purchased the Patton with the stock knobby from Ewheels and got it this past Saturday.  #32 lbs psi works great for me on my V11 ( I am 215lbs without gear.  I will likely mostly be riding street.  I set 32lbs psi on the Patton but naturally having some squirrelly issues with it which I am attributing to the smaller wheel from my V11.  That being said, I know PSI seems to be a preference that can be all over.  What do most of you in my similar weight category recommend?  Probably should have got the street tire but since I already have one with a street tire I figured I would change it up.  I will say I know when turning the patton and stock knobby turns much quicker than the street tires.  Have too watch my line when turning so I don't overturn lol.

Ok.  I lowered my PSI to 25psi from 32psi and it made a world of difference just riding on the street.  Nowhere near as squirrelly as it was at 32psi.  I weigh about 220lbs with gear.  Still not as comfortable on it compared to the V11 so hopefully that gets better.  On a solid note, I bought my wife an A2 for Christmas and within 30 minutes she was riding on her own yesterday!  

• Like 2

On 12/23/2023 at 3:39 PM, Pablocavern said:

Finally the dealer of the area recommended me to put the tire that carries the Inmotion v12ht and it is a marvel. On asphalt it is quiet (it should spend a little less battery because there is less friction) and takes the curves with smoothness and stability. On offroad I have not noticed that it gets worse.

Hi, you have pictures of your patton with this tire?

How much PSI ?

No gyro effect?

Thanks

Epic save, but also a perfect example of Patton power. I don’t know how this video has so few views/likes:

Edited by stizl

On 12/2/2023 at 11:40 PM, Uras said:

https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-tk35ue-v2-flashlight?_pos=2&_sid=bb6f017c4&_ss=r

i use the TK35 for night time riding... wider coverage than car headlights and just as bright.  you cant cheap out on quality lighting equipment,  your safety depends on it.

Edited by bpong

20 minutes ago, bpong said:

https://www.fenixlighting.com/products/fenix-tk35ue-v2-flashlight?_pos=2&_sid=bb6f017c4&_ss=r

i use the TK35 for night time riding... wider coverage than car headlights and just as bright.  you cant cheap out on quality lighting equipment,  your safety depends on it.

I use a Sofirn Q8 Plus. The 16,000 lumens is bright, but I don't use it much at this setting because the flashlight gets hot too quickly and drains the battery too fast.

The light beam is useful since it floods the area in front of you. For unlit pathways at night, it is great.

But for road use and for battery life, I dial it down, and use it like a regular really bright bike light.

• Upvote 1

Anyone have experience with Patton and Heidenau K57 snowtex tire? hows on turns, on snow, on ice? :) Stock tire i find is prety slippery on the snow, riding on snow where is much of pedestrian steps, its sooo hard and extreme

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 9:47 AM, OliG said:

Yes. I have it. 
I used for my roadtrip last summer. Here is how I placed it. I works perfectly placed like this. 

IMG_9764.jpeg

IMG_9750.jpeg

IMG_9736.jpeg

IMG_9751.jpeg

IMG_9755.jpeg

Thanks for the help. 

I decided to 3D print the attachment as I received a 3D printer for Christmas (AnkerMake M5C which is amazing as it has printed out everything flawlessly in TPU, PETG and PLA when I have never used a printer before). 

The 3D file was https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6119232

I also highly recommend if you have an Apple Watch to buy ARadarWatch app as you don’t need a iPhone any more as it connects directly to your watch and shows how fast the car is approaching and its distance with warning alerts.  It’s much more detailed than the Garmin app and I wouldn’t ride without it on any roads.

IMG_0246.jpeg

• Upvote 1