The laws are a changing... your thoughts?

I forgot to include the link:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-15/queensland-e-scooter-fines-mobile-phones-speeding/101539846

Anything over 13kph (8Mph) on footpath  or 26kph (16Mph) on bike paths results in a fine.. and currently limited to use on roads under 50Kph (31Mph).  Pretty much the kind of legislation we are seeing elsewhere too. As a law its a start and as it matures and with experience maybe the speed and roads accessible will increase. Australia does love using fines as a form of tax revenue so although you might think you could get away with it pretty easy. They will enjoy catching you out.

• Like 1

Mobile phone use $1078.

Drunk scootering $431.

:roflmao:

As long as it means talking on the phone, not using it to monitor speed, etc.

Are the authorities there likely to recognize the difference? :blink1:

Edited by UPONIT

8 minutes ago, UPONIT said:

As long as it means talking on the phone, not using it to monitor speed, etc.

Are the authorities there likely to recognize the difference? :blink1:

I bet they'll hear Euc World "talking" Speed xx, Battery xx and get ready to collect $1078. :lol:

You'd hope they'd recognize the utility and safety of EUCW, and spot that its voice announcements mean we don't even have to look at it as we ride to get the information.

If you were a speed demon though you'd wanna turn off tour recording lest you were hoisted by your own petard ! ;) Though of course the corollary point remains that if you have been riding sensibly and tour recording you carry your defence with you, and that should be all you need to prove your innocence !

Edited by Cerbera

So you can't ride E-scooters at all? Because most go at least over 1km/h speed.. :D

Limit is 25km/h right? (At least in my country it is.) I still would ride my own speed, as i choose.. Mostly because we don't have cops here. :D 

Edited by Funky

heh. here in the US, drunk driving related deaths outnumber mobile phone related incidents 32 to 1.

Do they have a very, very serious mobile phone addiction or does the US have a drinking problem? :roflmao:

Edited by level9

can't find it now, but some guy on joe rogan said in the uae, i think, they were already issuing speeding tickets to drivers over their phones. 

ur speeding down the highway and u get a text, "we caught u" u owe us x amount of dollars for this speeding ticket based upon how fast the phone was moving.

humans are gonna be buying lots of cellphone rf shielding sleeves in the future.

Edited by novazeus

15 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Expensive penalties are perhaps a sign that enforcement will be rare. Like, scare tactics. 

Totally agree. Can't see law enforcement in my neck of the woods chasing down PEVs with all of the other crap they have to manage. 

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Totally agree. Can't see law enforcement in my neck of the woods chasing down PEVs with all of the other crap they have to manage. 

CALLING ALL UNITS. WE HAVE A MAN ON A SINGLE WHEEL. I REPEAT, A MAN ON A SINGLE WHEEL. HE APPEARS TO BE WEARING PROTECTIVE GEAR AND FOLLOWING TRAFFIC LAWS. HE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED ARMED AND DANGEROUS. APPREHEND HIM QUICKLY. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it's entirely reasonable to expect PEV riders to adhere to the established rules of the road that all other vehicles are expected to follow. It's way better than the alternative of banning PEVs altogether. I do agree that in this particular situation, the difference in penalties between drunk driving and mobile-phone use seems strange. Also that exceptions need to be made for using your phone as a gps/speedometer; the same way I assume they have such exceptions drivers in traditional motor vehicles.

On 1/2/2023 at 7:57 PM, The Brahan Seer said:

Anything over 13kph (8Mph) on footpath  or 26kph (16Mph) on bike paths results in a fine.. and currently limited to use on roads under 50Kph (31Mph).  Pretty much the kind of legislation we are seeing elsewhere too. As a law its a start and as it matures and with experience maybe the speed and roads accessible will increase. Australia does love using fines as a form of tax revenue so although you might think you could get away with it pretty easy. They will enjoy catching you out.

I know this will make me unpopular but I'd actually like to see those laws over here in the UK as currently it's illegal to ride here at all. Your laws actually seem fairly sensible to me and wouldn't affect how I ride currently at all - I usually ride between 20 and 30mph depending on traffic. 

• Like 3

On 1/2/2023 at 9:57 PM, The Brahan Seer said:

I forgot to include the link:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-15/queensland-e-scooter-fines-mobile-phones-speeding/101539846

Haven't seen anyone riding in traffic in my country. And everyone is going 25kph everywhere. Because 25kph is "hard" limit on rental scooters. :D I have never seen anyone going slower.. Even with their personal scooters. (We have them ~50 to 1 euc here.) Everyone simply pushes the throttle down and go. I did the same. 25kph felt so slow.. (Doh our laws allow us to go 25kph everywhere. Even on footpath.) And we don't need to wear helmets. :D Yes - we are allowed to ride without one.

(I knew laws/rules, but when i was looking at scooters - i was looking at bigger/faster ones.)

I will keep riding ~35kph on footpaths. Gotta love non-busy cities and having no cops. :D (Ofc i slow down around people.)

Edited by Funky

On 1/3/2023 at 12:50 PM, Roadpower said:

In the last few years Australia has revealed itself as one of the worst totalitarian S holes in the western world, it's really a shame.

yes, our previous leader is a wannabe pinochet; things have been improving rapidly since he was ousted. The fact that he was voted in for two terms is a bit scary though - there's still a whole lot of conservative control freaks out there who don't like to see the plebs enjoying life.

Edited by Uras
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Great News e-scooters are now legal in Victoria, Australia. We need to start somewhere.

I suppose.

But some of the penalties seemed too harsh.

$925 for riding a noncompliant e-scooter. Unlike a car or truck, the potentially destructive nature is not in the same order of magnitude as cars and trucks. 

$462+ for not obeying traffic light. Unlike, a motor vehicle, the casualties suffered are usually to the rider, unless the scooter is mowing down pedestrians. Even then the damage and injuries caused is nowhere near to that of a car or truck.

$555 for using a handheld cell phone. Have any of the law makers ever ridden an electric scooter?

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 2