The laws are a changing... your thoughts?

8 minutes ago, techyiam said:

$555 for using a handheld cell phone. Have any of the law makers ever ridden an electric scooter?

Exactly - one of them was on his way to an important legislative meeting riding his eco-friendly electric scooter, and then his cell phone rang, the wife on the other end with an important message about dinner, he let go of the handlebars to answer and whoop, crash. And that is precisely why he learned that a mobile phone on an electric scooter means a crash....

:P

• Haha 1

I know this may not apply to EUCs, but I hope they don't try to strictly enforce these. 

Limiting e-scooters or PEVs to 20-25km/h would ruin many of the effective commuter options.  If they can keep up with traffic then let them follow the other guidance by following the rules of the road and flowing with traffic.

Mobile phone use while riding is one way we can actually check our speed, and is much safer than trying to look at the little screen on top of many wheels. 

If they want to increase safety they should be increasing the use of safety gear, providing safe paths through the cities, setting the framework for proper insurance, and developing/providing effective safe riding courses.  It's a start, but I hope they quickly refine these to better leverage the innovation in the sector rather than stifle it.

• Like 1

The rules are on a trial basis.  They don't seem to mention other PLEV's types like they have in Queensland. 

I hope other vehicles and powerful types will be represented in due course with parity to their current definition of motor vehicles.

It's a start but not ideal yet. The fines do seem high (even with 30% reduction if converting to USD).

So are we (EUC's) better off in this grey zone or one with no legislation yet. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 5:54 AM, The Brahan Seer said:

The rules are on a trial basis.  They don't seem to mention other PLEV's types like they have in Queensland. 

I hope other vehicles and powerful types will be represented in due course with parity to their current definition of motor vehicles.

It's a start but not ideal yet. The fines do seem high (even with 30% reduction if converting to USD).

So are we (EUC's) better off in this grey zone or one with no legislation yet. 

Better off with no legislation.

1) This won't last forever. Eventually the Eye of Sauron will turn to EUCs

2) They will get it wrong. The degree of wrongness is the question.

• Upvote 2