The term "Electric Unicycle" is wrong

plentora

There is no cycling involved. I believe cycle is some kind of process (up/down, around) and I don't think rolling of the tire counts.

Unicycle is understandable, you need to pedal.

But on these computer balanced electric single wheels there is no pedaling, you just roll.

Why not "monowheel" or "electric single wheel" ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 10/9/2022 at 1:10 AM, plentora said:

Sounds OK, but why not just "electric wheel". The single is implied. After all, it is just a wheel with foot plates, and is motorised. 

And if we want to be more specific, we can call it personal electric wheel, PEW.

Or Single Person Electric Wheel, SPEW. :)

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Sounds OK, but why not just "electric wheel". The single is implied. After all, if is just a wheel with foot plates, and is motorised. 

And if we want to be more specific, we can call it personal electric wheel, PEW.

Or Single Person Electric Wheel, SPEW. :)

EW would be actually cool. Wonder why some company is called eevee's .. :)

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Cycle comes from the greek kuklikos  and latin cyclus both meaning circle. So Electric Unicycle is fine.

@plentora Motorcycle.

Motorcycle is a "cycle" (bicycle?) with motor. Also motor has cycles :) BATATATATATA!

The greek origin is a bit blurred already if you look at dictionary: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cycle

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

My favorite alternative name is onewheel. Nice, catchy, rolls of the tongue. What's not to like? Let's all adopt it!

MonoWheel is better name then. :D Rolls even better of tongue. 

29 minutes ago, John Jones said:

OneWheel and Monowheel are both trademarks.

Try again 👎👎😀

Trademarks are bullshit anyways. :D I will trademark my real name and there won't be anyone else named in my name again. :D Simply write them OniWheel/Moniwheel. People still will call them for that they are.:D 

In German it fits perfectly. "Unicycle" translated into German means "1 wheel". And that is exactly what we ride, just electrified...

cycle is not the same as a wheel, the wheel is a cycle, but not the same I think. We also use μονόροδο to describe them, "ρόδα" being a "wheel". I agree that unicycle is just fine, we have other problems to solve :)

4 hours ago, plentora said:

There is no cycling involved. I believe cycle is some kind of process (up/down, around) and I don't think rolling of the tire counts.

Unicycle is understandable, you need to pedal.

But on these computer balanced electric single wheels there is no pedaling, you just roll.

For your reading pleasure :

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/119-why-am-i-calling-electric-unicycle-euc-for-short/

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/16860-best-name-for-eucs/page/3/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_unicycle

People who know me locally know I get a little pedantic about my “euc”, or “electric unicycle”, or just “wheel” when they call it a “OneWheel” by mistake.

• Like 1

It's stupid, the best micro-mobility PEV got cursed with the worst acronym. Like getting dead last at the EV naming convention.

"E-U-C" wats an E-YEW-SEE?? does it have pedals, how can it be a unicycle tho??" :blink1:

...how many damn times do I have to say...

you know what, it's a *bleeping* wheel, I stand on it and it goes! *bleep* you!

Now I just wheel past flipping people the bird. Saves me the trouble.

Sincerely,
--EUC Ambassador

Edited by Vanturion