Best Name for EUCs

Mortal Coil

What is the best name to describe an EUC?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What would you chose as the best name to describe the contraptions that we ride? When someone wells 'what the hell is that?' when you zoom past, this is what you yell over your shoulder.

• Electric Unicycle
    • EUC
    • Segwheel
    • Hoverwheel
    • eWheel
    • Gyrowheel or Gyroroue
    • Monowheel

"Naturally, electric unicycle, abbreviated as EUC, is the best term for what we ride." - this is absolutely wrong from the cold, technical point of view. The word "cycle", as used in bicycle, tricycle, unicycle, means "a series of events that are regularly repeated in the same order" and refers to the cycling pedaling action. The word "motorcycle" was coined in 1894 because early motorcycles were produced by bicycle companies and were really just bicycles with the added motor.

We have absolutely no cycling action in our wheels, and smoothly rotating rotor cannot by called "cycling" by any stretch.

So, the only correct meaning of "electric unicycle" is the electric motor-assisted pedal-driven unicycle like this one:

(the beginning of video even spells it out, "Electric Unicycle Prototype")

Hoverwheel is technically logical name since hoverboard name is widely accepted and it's functionally the same thing, but with just one wheel (and there's no "board" like in OneWheel). You're not cycling on it, you (figuratively speaking, of course) hovering on it, i.e. moving smoothly and translationally without moving a single muscle.

Edited by Aneta

There's 1 vote for hoverwheel, but it's not mine, I didn't vote. Polling this is meaningless, because it shows the current (wrong) state of things, not what's going to be a universally established name. We already know that most members of this forum use "electric unicycle". All this poll shows right now (29 votes) is that 28 of them will have to change what they call it in several years, because there's just no way "electric unicycle" will become universally accepted. "Electric unicycle" is a totally different thing, see post above. Let's stop being wrong, people!

8 minutes ago, MR BRAD said:

Ah yes... that is a day for which I dream. A day when our wheels are mass produced junk sold at Walmart. A day when the wheel becomes akin to a toy. A day when the “cool” panache of our wheels becomes a diluted dork rocket like a hoverboard

giphy.gif

"Cycle means wheel and stems from Greek" - technically, this is correct, but is not a modern meaning. When we say "cyclist", "cycling" nowadays, we mean the pedaling action; we don't call a person on a kickscooter "cyclist" or "bicyclist" even though they are on 2 wheels. Hoverboard has 2 wheels - does anybody call it a bicycle? The prevailing meaning of the word "cycle" has changed, now it's "any recurring round of operations or events", not "wheel".

Cycle... a series of events repeated in some kind of order. Used in a sentence... 

“The specious arguments proposed by @Aneta are a greatly entertaining cycle.... I mean, a greatly entertaining hoverwheel”

• Like 1

Unicycle will always be associated with something almost impossible to ride, what circus artists use, or people doing stupid tricks.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761112bf13edb6948394bb

giphy.gif?cid=790b76112262ed10de1d7c40a0

giphy.gif?cid=790b761112bf13edb6948394bb

giphy.gif?cid=790b76111fb1918ebf8ebe196f

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d4987fece5ac272517

giphy.gif?cid=790b761198e898de41a1f8c34d

Unicycle has a clownish stigma associated with it. Prefixing it with "electric" doesn't change that, it only confuses. What we ride is no way an electric unicycle. Hoverwheel is much better name for it. 

Take an e-bicycle, turn off the motor - you can still ride it as a regular bicycle.

Take an e-scooter, turn off the motor - you can still ride it as a regular kickscooter.

Take a real electric unicycle (like Justin's), turn off the motor - you can still ride it as a regular unicycle.

Take our misnamed "electric unicycle", turn off the motor - can you still ride it as a regular unicycle?

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ca761faf58588c7527

7 hours ago, RockyTop said:

OMG!!! 

The word for a group of whatever riders should definitely be an asylum!! :popcorn:

Absolutely! If I remember correctly, it was @The Fat Unicyclistwho coined the term, wasn't it? 😂

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2

Anyone who just learned to ride a hoverwheel, knows this amazing feeling of hovering. Yes, we're not actually hovering, but it definitely feels like it. We "forget" about our legs and our body, and - especially when riding at night - it feels that it's just our head floating - hovering - in space. Months later after learning, I don't get this feeling anymore, but I vividly remember it. "Hover" in hoverwheel is not meant to be taken literally, but it conveys the feeling of riding one.

Words or phrases oftentimes don't make sense when taken literally. I hope no one thinks that butterflies actually fly inside the stomach?

Speaking of weird words, I found some Finnish words that mean whole sentences in English:

kalsariknnit-1.jpg

Me: "IT'S A HOVERWHEEEEL!!! Yehaaa!" ("they" didn't even ask anything, I'm approaching and still 50ft away, but I see the question in their eyes, "WTF is it?!" They = a couple with two kids)

They:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76110c72b9becf23719629giphy.gif?cid=790b7611bb5e02e6c78540ac46source.gifgiphy.gif

Me (passing them): Bought it at Walmart, 300 bucks! 99 for kids.

Them:

source.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

Me (already 50 feet away, turning my head back): "Wait! WHaT YEAR IS THIS?!" (stopping abruptly, looking at my watch in disbelief) "Oh. My. God. BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!" - accelerating like a bat out of hell and disappearing into sunset.

Them:

giphy.gifgiphy.gif?cid=790b76110da90e1f21d02a8eeagiphy.gif?cid=790b7611cdd8db357e921ab594

giphy.gif

• Like 1

@Aneta You got the turning around part right. White men in particular act like they see EUC’s every day until you pass and look back. When I ride with bicycles the people on bikes tell me that everyone acts so normal...... until after I pass. My son-in-law likes to ride behind me on a bike just to watch their faces change. 

My beautiful friends with the darker skin tend to be more forward with their expressions. I love them for that! :cheers:

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 3

Wow wow wow... We're already on the SECOND page of Google!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=hoverwheel&sqi=2&start=10

That was FAST!!! Soon, we'll be on the first page and kick Inventist's butt! Hoverwheel will be ours!!!

3lklk2.jpg

I feel like I've started a revolution!

3lkm58.jpg

Join the movement, say "hoverwheel" until it becomes a totally natural word to you!

bart-simpson-generator.php?line=hoverwhe