Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

2 hours ago, BKW said:

I've had a suspicion since I joined this forum that many people here are a little too sure of themselves. It's ridiculous we even have to debate this. I'm over it. This is the last time I talk about this in this thread.. back to Sherman-S for me

Likewise.

On 12/8/2022 at 8:23 AM, Chester Copperpot said:

I’m 190lbs but I’m going with the lighter spring because I never jump and only do minor off-road. I’m looking for comfort. 

Interesting. At 190lbs (86kg) I would definitely recommend the stronger springs for you.

While I understand your desire for a "plush" ride, my concern is that if you overload the springs you will get a significant amount of sag with just a static load. This sag will reduce what would have initially been 90mm of travel to say way 50mm. Ideally a mountain bike should show something in the order of 25-30 % sag when mounted statically and I would say the same would be true for EUCs.

If you have the option I would recommend trying to stand on both a 58 and a 62 lbs set and see how much of the range is taken up with sag. If you're happy with the amount of travel left with the 58 lbs/in springs the by all means go for that option but given you are already 6kg into the "heavier" range I would consider the 62 lbs/in as the primary option and only opt for the lighter option if it proves viable after a test.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

If you have the option I would recommend trying to stand on both a 58 and a 62 lbs set and see how much of the range is taken up with sag. If you're happy with the amount of travel left with the 58 lbs/in springs the by all means go for that option but given you are already 6kg into the "heavier" range I would consider the 62 lbs/in as the primary option and only opt for the lighter option if it proves viable after a test.

is the 4lb difference between the spring options going to be noticeable? the springs on MTB shocks are typically in 50-100lb increments.

8 hours ago, Freeforester said:

Wind is the number one limiting factor for EUC riding for me where I live, as a paramotor pilot of 20 years I’ve learned to accept that not every day is a flying day, the same goes for SUP, and so it is with the EUC, those are days for e-mtb, or other pursuits which aren’t so affected by high winds.

That's the thing, isn't it; accepting limitations. Yes, it's a hugely frustrating limitation of SUP and paramotor.

I do wonder though. I have less than 100km ride experience; I'm 5'11", 85kg / 187lb on a kingsong 14d. Most of the time I'm doing around 10km/h (6.2mph) navigating single track or rooty footpaths. There is a stretch of about 1km that I often ride to a park alongside a river. The winds have been 30 - 45km/h (19 - 28mph) for weeks now. I get it on the side, then after a while go around a corner and meet it front on. It's a challenge but one I think I should get used to. I don't think it would make a difference what wheel I had under me, unless we're talking torque and holding a higher speed into the wind. I wouldn't go faster at this point though probably for the same reason I avoid big hills (up or down) on this little wheel - mechanical sympathy. If the wind was stronger again, I'd just walk. I can't see that happening often, unless I was travelling greater than 10km. 

Edited by Uras

2 minutes ago, Uras said:

That's the thing, isn't it; accepting limitations.

I do wonder though. I have less than 100km ride experience; I'm 5'11", 85kg / 187lb on a kingsong 14d. Most of the time I'm doing around 10km/h (6.2mph) navigating single track or rooty footpaths. There is a stretch of about 1km that I often ride to a park alongside a river. The winds have been 30 - 45km/h (19 - 28mph) for weeks now. I get it on the side, then after a while go around a corner and meet it front on. It's a challenge but one I think I should get used to. I don't think it would make a difference what wheel I had under me, unless we're talking torque and holding a higher speed into the wind. I wouldn't go faster at this point though probably for the same reason I avoid big hills (up or down) on this little wheel - mechanical sympathy. If the wind was stronger again, I'd just walk 

If its windy, just ride slower.  Then again you're on a 14D so its not like you can go much slower :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Well, this would kinda suck for me.  I'm 175 lb (79-80kg) so I'm right smack in between the soft and hard spring options.  What would someone like me pick?

On the contrary. You are blessed since both springs could work for you. You get to choose which one based on your use case, or preference.

For example, if your use case is mainly city communing with no jumps or drops, and you prefer a more cushy ride, then go for the softer spring.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Uras said:

I don't think it would make a difference what wheel I had under me

I’m certain that it would. One huge difference between wheels is the tire width. It can completely transform the turning and the sideways balancing, enough to cause you to have to practice for a bit until you can even turn on it. A 14x2.125” tire turns and balances so differently to a 18x3” class street tire that you wouldn’t believe.

If the wind hits the rider and the wheel from the side, a 18x3” tire will correct the trajectory many times faster than on a 14x2.125” tire. That makes 3” tires so much easier to handle in high winds.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 12:38 AM, Unicycle Santa said:

quality control/testing that eWheels is having done by their hired team

Not sure myself... 
The way I read that was "ewheels paid a 3rd party in China to inspect the EUC's before shipment to USA"

6 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Not sure myself... 
The way I read that was "ewheels paid a 3rd party in China to inspect the EUC's before shipment to USA"

Ahhhh okay, that would make sense as well. I could have sworn way back when the Sherman was first announced there were videos from this very "lab" of them testing wheels, thus I assumed it was leaperkims place.

4 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

This madman hitting 89.5 kmh / 55.6 mph indicated on the Sherman S. I think its safe to say this is one capable wheel.

It is IMPRESSIVELY stable. And judging from the shadows, he was standing, not seated. :efee78d764:

It could've been a camera exaggeration, but what happened at around 25 seconds? Nail biter...

Is it inherently safer to ride the beeps like that on a LeaperKim wheel than others?

• Like 2

Tbh, the V13, the Sherman-S, and the Begode Commando Pro all sound exciting to me. The V13 looks durable and a well-built machine by the looks of it. The Sherman-S should be very durable, with a great suspension, and all the qualities of the Shermax. The Commander pro I hear is 134v wheel with suspension and batteries comparable to the Sherman-S, and I think it also will have magnesium shelling. WHAT A LINE UP WE HAVE HERE

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BKW said:

Tbh, the V13, the Sherman-S, and the Begode Commando Pro all sound exciting to me.

+1

For me, especially after getting a taste of a big heavy, fast wheel for fast urban commuting.

On the Abrams, I like the premium feel and refined ride. I like the size; it feels more like a proper sized vehicle, instead of a pair of skates, or skateboard. 

The Sherman-S sounds like it is even more premium and refined than the Abrams. Maybe even better agility, acceleration and braking. It seems like the V13 has much to offer too. And the Commander Pro sounds promising.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BKW said:

Tbh, the V13, the Sherman-S, and the Begode Commando Pro all sound exciting to me. The V13 looks durable and a well-built machine by the looks of it. The Sherman-S should be very durable, with a great suspension, and all the qualities of the Shermax. The Commander pro I hear is 134v wheel with suspension and batteries comparable to the Sherman-S, and I think it also will have magnesium shelling. WHAT A LINE UP WE HAVE HERE

At least a good street cruising Lineup

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

Going to be interesting to see how robust each model is in terms of a 45mph or above cutout, not too long to wait now, lolno!

Indeed, given the number of newly released wheels which turned out to be cutout wheels in 2022.

On paper, the V13 looks to have the best chance of not cutting out above 45 mph.

Whereas, the Sherman-S doesn't look that great on paper.

Begode is Begode, so it has to be proven.

In the end the proof is in the pudding.

But should each wheel do cutout, which manufacturers would come out with a fix first. And which manufacturers will do a recall?

All the wheels v13, sherm-s, that begode model that shall remain unmentioned - Seem to aim 90km/h performance. It might be something you have to unlock. In the sherm-S video the beeps start 75km/h (but these could be because app settings!). We saw Kuji going 91km/h and the speed meter goes "red". The closer you get to 90km/h with these models is what I would draw the guideline. That being "the limit not to cross", if that helps anyone (althou I would also consider other factors, leaving room for bumps or other unexpected to draw power suddenly). We see later on what is what.

Given bad enough conditions, there aint wheel that would not cut-out. Just seems the bar is higher with these suspension "cruisers" pushing to the motorcycle or scooter world.

Edit. I put my bet on these models being quite equal. (v13, sherm-s, and that unmentioned begode) The higher voltage aint a thing. Even people buzz about numbers, we know from past they are bit.. misleading at times. For safety it could indeed be good idea to set your beeps at 75km/h and not that "perfect weather 90km/h" setting. Leaves you room for safety if you hit bump and get a quick draw of amps.

edit2: I just had this thought that now that the top speed is going higher, "I bet" we gonna see braking wobbles increase during racing. And the races be won more on the speeding part, should there be a lot of it.

Edited by Tasku
  • Like 1