Preventive Maintenance: Battery Cover Padding and Sealing

Skara

@Skara Thanks a lot for your post! Because of this I took a look on my battery and found this:

IMAG1539_small2.jpg.75bbc354ba4829ed3bbe

IMAG1537_small2.jpg.4337f969e3b580594bc3

IMAG1538_small2.jpg.4fa94ee5955b27690829

You see the blue cover is damaged on some places and you see something red below it. Any idea what this might be?

On 15 March 2016 at 0:52 PM, One said:

You see the blue cover is damaged on some places and you see something red below it. Any idea what this might be?

@One I guess you see the surface of the individual cells the battery is made of, but looks like they are still intact. Even though the whole package is no longer hermetically sealed, you are probably OK if you just apply electric tape on those damaged parts to prevent water seeping inside and then pad the cover to prevent a reoccurrence. I first just taped mine, but the taping immediately got chafed, so I re-taped and added the padding as described. The 9bot has now seen a fair amount of use after the fix but no damage to battery so the padding works. And it now stays clean inside so also sealing the hole worked, though I regret embedding the wires in the silicon.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Attaching pictures of my Ninebot One E+ after 1000km.  It's two and half months old.

The battery is damaged on every side.  I've put some tape on that places and also some soft protection at the top.

I don't have pictures of the other side of the bot, but the motherboard was covered with big sand grains...  I cleaned it up and closed holes with some tape, but I don't know if it will last - I will need to monitor the situation.

The bot was running without issues the whole time.  I opened it only to check if I have the same problem as you guys; and yes - I have :).

IMG_20160610_213057 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20160610_213129 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20160610_213158 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20160610_213216 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20160610_213228 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20160610_214111 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20160610_214918 - Copy.jpg

@vla good to hear that the 9b1 didn' fail on you despite the marks on the battery. Now tha you are aware of it and done some preventive measures, - you'll get many more safe miles on you bot.

I wonder if those red spots underneath the blue plastic wrap are cardboard wrap.  I've seen some packs where they place cardboard enveloping pieces around the terminal ends and sometimes around the sides of the batteries as an extra layer of protection.   I wonder whether placing the battery in a thin, foam pouch and taping the bag to the interior might help future wear or maybe cover the sharp edges of the plastic casing with some Sugru bumper bits.

foam_pouches.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After doing a 14.7 km roll, I decide to open up my NB1E+ to check the battery and sure enough it just sits loose inside there.

image.jpg

I found a small foam bag and cut it to size:

image.jpg

I wrapped the battery in the bag and used the rest to line the outer shell casing to snug the battery into.   

image.jpg

It was a little snug to screw shut, but it closed up fine. Before my mod I had noticed a clunk when dropping off a sharp curb so I think the battery rattles inside.  I wonder if the assembly people are supposed to remove the double stick tape paper pieces on both sides as that would secure it to the case and cover as well.

Thanks for the heads up.  I might take a dremel to the fins if it looks to be a problem.  I noticed there are a bunch of sharp edges in there which are not good during vibrations, but I guess for plastic rigidity they put them in.  I don't think trimming them down a bit would hurt as the side covers aren't stress bearing normally.   I think now that the battery is cushioned and immobile hopefully it might be fine.  I'll check it again later.

46 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

You could also use double-sided sticky tape to attach the battery to the compartment on the back? That would prevent it from sliding around at all.

Not sure that tape would support the weight of the battery in the long run. And in case of an additional battery - swap possibilities will be more limited...

1 hour ago, Vik's said:

Not sure that tape would support the weight of the battery in the long run. And in case of an additional battery - swap possibilities will be more limited...

Several EUCs including Firewheel use double-sticky foam tape to keep the battery in place, it holds really well. When I rebuilt mine the old tape was holding firmly and I taped it down with new tape when I put the batteries back. As for swapping batteries, yes that would be a LOT harder if it were taped in place!

I taped my ninebot battery in place after finding the wear marks on it from the fins.  The "clunk" sound going over a curb went away and I was happy for a while but now it's back so the tape must've come loose.  I'm thinking of putting some rubber or foam strips on the battery where the fins touch.

I didn't take a photo, but on mine what you don't see is the part of the foam bag that I doubled up into a thin U-shaped strip that lines the bottom and sides of the shell pad.  I fit the battery in the bag and had the extra foam around it before reinserted it onto the NB.  It's pretty snugged up in there so it's not going to move.

On 15 марта 2016 г. at 6:52 AM, One said:

@Skara Thanks a lot for your post! Because of this I took a look on my battery and found this:

IMAG1539_small2.jpg

IMAG1537_small2.jpg

IMAG1538_small2.jpg

I am pretty sure the red is the red wire that runs under the shrink wrap. Same like the red wire insulation coming out of the battery in the other picture

4 hours ago, Cloud said:

I am pretty sure the red is the red wire that runs under the shrink wrap. Same like the red wire insulation coming out of the battery in the other picture

Not quite. The "red something" is the insulation paper strip.

red.JPG

I think you're all wrong. Damage to the battery is due to the strong wheel falls. Perhaps you jumped to the curbs or falling into deep pits.
I half a year ride on the wheel, and I have not even close to such problems. because I keep the wheel and do not jump from high curbs.

• 8 months later...

Just a long term update on my battery mod.  I took off my side panel to take a look see, and all appears fine.  There was some concern the foam bag wouldn't work,  but there doesn't appear to be any issues.  It's just thick enough to keep the battery stationary even dropping down curbs.  This is after 716 kms.

e501d77bc1.jpg

e5018857e7.jpg

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Just a long term update on my battery mod.  I took off my side panel to take a look see, and all appears fine.  There was some concern the foam bag wouldn't work,  but there doesn't appear to be any issues.  It's just thick enough to keep the battery stationary even dropping down curbs.  This is after 716 kms.

e501d77bc1.jpg

e5018857e7.jpg

There is that beautiful machine I miss so much! Want to trade for a Gotway ACM 1600?:P

These EUCs are pretty unique, but my Flamebot is super unique!  You sold yours at a good time though.   I'm sure other makers will come out with some different wraps/colours with time rather than black and matte black.  The Monster colour choices are nice.  Any luck on the Captain American vinyl wrap?

Archived