Preventive Maintenance: Battery Cover Padding and Sealing

Skara

Credit: @9bots a million thanks for the battery chafing discovery! I can see the same effect though my battery still works.

Battery problem: the battery cover chafes the battery.

Image 1 shows the same damage described by 9bots, and image 2 shows that in addition my battery pack shows wear in all the places where it has touched the ridges in the casing. Image 3 shows my solution: I glued strips of an old mouse pad on top of all the ridges. And taped the worn places on the battery pack.

Sealing problem: dust/water enters battery and motherboard compartments.

While checking the status of my battery, I also noticed quite a bit of dust and even some sand both in the battery compartment and in the motherboard compartment. Due to the sand, my battery pack also showed wear in places where it had moved against the smooth parts of the casing. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the 9B1 shutdowns were simply due to debris ending up in a wrong place; afterwards it would be hard to say what caused a component to melt. The motherboard does have a coating to protect it from the elements, but there are certainly places where conductive material would cause problems. On my board one corner of one of the chips is actually missing the coating, perhaps a bubble when they were dipping it. A tiny piece of conducting material there and that’s it.

Image 4 shows the likeliest route of sand into the battery/motherboard compartments. If you shine a light through the circled hole, you can see the rubber of the tire about 1 cm directly below the hole! The tire sprays anything you ride over at the hole, be it sand or water. The ninebot.com page says "Waterproof of IP65". Humph. Image 5 shows my bad solution, should have slept one night before implementing it. I used silicone sealant to completely seal the hole and made a large enough lump over it that it would also block the large hole at the top of the cover. I then used the cover as a mold (coating it with liquid soap) to shape the silicone before it dried. This does not make the cover 100% water tight, but at least the largest holes are now covered.

I used the same sealing method for the motherboard compartment.

Today I realised I could have just glued a thin piece of plastic under the wires for the same effect, and it would have left the wires free. Moving the wires will be more difficult in the future after this. Though that would still leave the hole at the top of the cover unaddressed.

I confirmed with my retailer first that I would not void the warranty by implementing these mods. Translated reply: "In theory, opening the covers will void warranty, but I confirmed with HQ that you're OK so go ahead, but don't touch any electronics!"

Everyone: I'd love to see pics of your preventive maintenance solutions, if any, also for other topics.

01_battery-problem.jpg

01_battery-problem2.jpg

01_battery-solution.jpg

02_sealing-problem.jpg

02_sealing-solution.JPG

9 minutes ago, Vanquiz said:

Thank you, I guess we all need to make these little adjustments to prevent future unwanted problems. 

Ok, just in case other people start making mods based on this, writing below some thoughts I left out to keep the original post concise:

1 - Sealing the holes would prevent airflow... if the designers left the holes on purpose for cases of the battery pack heating up, it will now cool more slowly. Sadly, in Finland overheating is not likely, at least not due to outside air temperature, so I was not worried. But if you're in a really warm climate, then you may wish to consider leaving one or both of the holes open (for rain water to go in). :)  The holes are not a very effective cooling method, but they do provide some cooling. On the motherboard side this is not an issue, since the motherboard generates so much heat that an effective heatsink was needed, and cleverly implemented by leading heat into the wheel casing.

2 - The two holes at the bottom of the case look like they were meant to direct out any water that got in, so I would not seal them unless you really seal the entire case hermetically. You'll notice from the bottom of image 3 that I cut two small pieces out of the padding to make sure that if some water still managed to get in, it would have a way out. The battery should be hermetically sealed already (excepting the chafing), so I was not horribly worried about leaving the outer casing a little leaky, just wanted to keep small stones and larger quantities of water outside.

Copy of my message from: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/2835-pedals-dip-forward-on-right-turns-old-firmware/?do=findComment&comment=33707

I've done some waterproofing on my ninebot last week. I've used E-profile weatherstrips (26450, white) and they fit perfectly.

To protect the battery I've glued those rubber shims/strips that I've got with a bicycle light (or bell?) With some double-sided tape to the upper and bottom corners of my battery pack.

When you are in there to improve things on your 9b1 - maybe you should mount the aluminium plate (sits below the controller) properly to the case with some screws (3-5 screws is missing). Standard PC case/Hard Drive computer screws will do. Use 6mm flat wrench on them. ;)

NuZHexScrew-BD-2.jpg

As requested, my humble attempt to improve the things inside the 9b1:

Here are the screws that was mounted by me (5 screws were missing on mine):

P1040513.jpg

You can also see the weatherstrips (E-profile) all around the compartments.

Here, the rubber strips to protect corners (top and bottom) of battery pack:

P1040517.jpg

and closer look at the bottom of battery pack:

P1040516.jpg

I have also used some dense foam to seal the holes in side-padding/covers. Above the cables and below the battery pack.

P1040511.jpg

12 hours ago, Skara said:

Credit: @9bots a million thanks for the battery chafing discovery! I can see the same effect though my battery still works.

Battery problem: the battery cover chafes the battery. ...

@Rotatoryou have some objections regarding this procedure or just mistyped the -1? Could deserve to get sticky?!

2 hours ago, Chriull said:

@Rotatoryou have some objections regarding this procedure or just mistyped the -1? Could deserve to get sticky?!

I'm so sorry... I liked very much the post. Just mistyped when I tried to put +1.

I have did some similar job with the battery cover padding, but not with the holes yet.

If I can open it this weekend I'll put some pictures.

This thread is a very good thread!

On 2/24/2016 at 4:07 PM, Vik's said:

Copy of my message from: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/2835-pedals-dip-forward-on-right-turns-old-firmware/?do=findComment&comment=33707

I've done some waterproofing on my ninebot last week. I've used E-profile weatherstrips (26450, white) and they fit perfectly.

To protect the battery I've glued those rubber shims/strips that I've got with a bicycle light (or bell?) With some double-sided tape to the upper and bottom corners of my battery pack.

When you are in there to improve things on your 9b1 - maybe you should mount the aluminium plate (sits below the controller) properly to the case with some screws (3-5 screws is missing). Standard PC case/Hard Drive computer screws will do. Use 6mm flat wrench on them. ;)

NuZHexScrew-BD-2.jpg

As requested, my humble attempt to improve the things inside the 9b1:

Here are the screws that was mounted by me (5 screws were missing on mine):

P1040513.jpg

You can also see the weatherstrips (E-profile) all around the compartments.

Here, the rubber strips to protect corners (top and bottom) of battery pack:

P1040517.jpg

and closer look at the bottom of battery pack:

P1040516.jpg

I have also used some dense foam to seal the holes in side-padding/covers. Above the cables and below the battery pack.

P1040511.jpg

Anyone else can confirm the 5 missing screws? Is this ONLY an isolated accident? I open mine up when I have time.

5 hours ago, OneWheel said:

Anyone else can confirm the 5 missing screws? Is this ONLY an isolated accident? I open mine up when I have time.

Yes, I can.

But I am not very sure that they were missing screws. May be they are plastic pieces to hold heat sink in place. The screws of the motherboard do the job.

@OneWheel, @Rotator 

Those screws (located at the bottom of controller board) that goes through the mobo and holding it to both heatsink and plastic ?

They do a decent enough job to hold the mobo to the body of 9b1 but they can not withstand too much force cause of their location.  If there is anything that gets stuck between the wheel and the aluminum plate such as stones or some other rubbish, the plate gets out of its shape thus making it possible for water and dust/sand to come in... Extra screws cost nothing but gives much.

Any one ever consider drilling small holes in the front and back side leg to allow better air ventilation ONLY if temp is critical, close it up with gorilla tape when riding in rain or snow?  I will be adding the missing SCREWs, stagnate / non moving air will not help lower temperature.

On ‎27‎.‎02‎.‎2016 at 6:26 PM, OneWheel said:

Any one ever consider drilling small holes in the front and back side leg to allow better air ventilation ONLY if temp is critical, close it up with gorilla tape when riding in rain or snow?  I will be adding the missing SCREWs, stagnate / non moving air will not help lower temperature.

Not a bad idea. Maybe using some of GORETEX TYPE WATERPROOF FABRIC could help to keep water out?

The new kingsong 16 inch blows away ninebot.  Ninebot E+ still a very good wheel!! but THIS wheel is so much better with bigger 800w motor, bigger 840wh battery, head and tail lights, light rings, handle trolley, anti slip pedal, more safest / no cutting off, faster speed, better ergonomics.

Too me the MOST important is safety with NO cutting off.

To me as irrational it might be - can't stand both the cheesy typical low-tech chinese "kingsong" name and ninebot wannabe design, it still inferior wheel.

Battery/motor and lights... but still miles away from 9b1 as a whole concept. Don't get me wrong, seems that both kingsong and gotway doing it right but I still cannot get myself to like them...

On 25/2/2016 at 11:47 AM, Rotator said:

I have did some similar job with the battery cover padding, but not with the holes yet.

If I can open it this weekend I'll put some pictures.

This thread is a very good thread!

This is the padding I did six months ago, since I had got the broken seal of the battery because the plastic reinforcements of the cover:

IMG_20160225_203212.jpg

I had put eletrical tape to cover the broken seal in the top. As you can see, the tape is broken again:

IMG_20160225_203257.jpgThis time, I have reinstalled electrical tape again, and have put new padding on top. This padding extends over the sides, since I have noticed that the plastic reinforcements on sides is sanding the battery side seal as well:

IMG_20160225_204522.jpg

Edit: I have left the protect plastic over the padding, so it is not adhesive to the battery.

On 1 March 2016 at 6:59 PM, Vik's said:

@Jabirish You can always contact Ninebot directly or through your seller. Many users got help from Ninebot despite that theirs 9b1 were bought from non-authorized sellers.

Thanks, I'll contact ninebot service and see what I can get out of them. 

Verified my Ninebot got the 5 missing screws. Unable to screw the top 3 holes, too much work! The 2 bottom holes were screwable but the screw was a little big for the hole did not want to risk cracking the wall. Ended up gorilla taping the bottom 2 holes, Covered up the big hole underneath the wires with a plastic sheet , then tape it securely with gorilla tape.

Final note: The backup 320wh battery purchased is heavier than anticipated.

Archived