V12 Cutout tracking

Richardo

39 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What the hell is going on with Inmotion lately? Who in their right mind thinks this is ok? A delicate board, the only thing that keeps you from crashing, doesn't even get a cardboard box?!

They came inside a larger cardboard box. For any distributor playing along at home the Sherman mudguard box is a good shipping box for these being sent individually.

It might be wise for everyone get in contact with their reseller and ask them if it's possible to put it in to a box. I've worked in a large parcel facility, over the Christmas period. It's a real eye opener how rough the parcels are handled. The parcels a tipped onto a conveyor belt and so there are parcels dropping onto other parcels. Amazingly though, most parcels are undamaged. But something like the controller board in a sealed air bag without a box, is asking for trouble.

Edited by EUC Phenomenon
  • Upvote 2

Could it be the replacement of the MOSFET's has pushed the issue further down the line of the circuit board? So some other component or solder is now being over stressed? 

Watching the replacement board install although doable is asking an awful lot from customers to be able do it themselves without any issues.

In the 1970's oil crisis it had such an impact on the availability of oil it affected the quality of fibreglass in yacht building. People today stay clear of boats built from 1973-onwards for a few years due to poor build quality. I think we may have a similar situation now with electronics due to the worlds disruptions etc etc. So unfortunately maybe now is not a good year for any EUC.

• Upvote 3

And I thought the situation couldn't get any worse. It turned out that it's possible. I really hoped that things would be resolved and that we could leave it behind and move forward. The manufacturer should buy all these V12 models back from the buyers so that we can forget this fiasco. Honestly, this is disappointing.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

Part of our post board swap testing is a 1km ride, checking the temps aren't spiking more than expected and the overall temps of the components that warm up are doing so at an expected and consistent rate. I am sure not every distributor will have enough time for this, so we will see more failures.

my temps did not exceed 55c while riding including a half mile up hill at 25mph on asphalt. does that sound reasonable?

34 minutes ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

Part of our post board swap testing is a 1km ride, checking the temps aren't spiking more than expected and the overall temps of the components that warm up are doing so at an expected and consistent rate. I am sure not every distributor will have enough time for this, so we will see more failures.

@Brendan "nog3" Halliday    -  You are doing a good thing by riding the wheel post-swap.  If there is a heat issue we should see it first when the wheel is ridden up-hill (operating with a load and without fast air-flow to cool the heat sink).

I hope Inmotion did test the Hunteck MOSFET pre-production but we'll know in a few days.

/Richard

1 hour ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

Have you done a spin test with the new board? I also doubt other distributors will do such a test ride before shipping out the unit - based on information released by Inmotion so far, we are all supposed to assume the new board fixed everything...?

Sure the spin test isn't perfect but it likely saved a bunch of people from eating pavement on defective batch 2 units. Perhaps its not a bad idea to repeat this with the new boards. We as riders need to be more proactive in protecting ourselves instead of putting anymore faith in this company. One mistake is forgivable, but a second one is not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolverine said:

And I thought the situation couldn't get any worse. It turned out that it's possible. I really hoped that things would be resolved and that we could leave it behind and move forward. The manufacturer should buy all these V12 models back from the buyers so that we can forget this fiasco. Honestly, this is disappointing.

I thought I should have a V12. Perfect for my needs, and as I believed, of a better quality and reliability than GW ... 
and then this sh*t happens with the wrong mos fets, or whatever it really was or is - still.   And then everyone is happy anyway
because there is a quick solution, but no no, that's not how it should be.  It turns out that the new boards may be just as flawed
as the ones they were supposed to replace - it's a farce.  And now I have reached the point where the idea of a V12 has been put on the shelv
 - then I might as well buy an RS19 with a blackboard - and then just remember to charge it out in the open - if it should catch fire.

1 hour ago, conecones said:

Have you done a spin test with the new board? I also doubt other distributors will do such a test ride before shipping out the unit - based on information released by Inmotion so far, we are all supposed to assume the new board fixed everything...?

Sure the spin test isn't perfect but it likely saved a bunch of people from eating pavement on defective batch 2 units. Perhaps its not a bad idea to repeat this with the new boards. We as riders need to be more proactive in protecting ourselves instead of putting anymore faith in this company. One mistake is forgivable, but a second one is not. 

This spin test doesn't make any sense at all.  "Take your new wheel - for which you just paid +$2500, lift it up, let it spin wild (dont drop it... bad, really bad for you surroundings) and se if it breaks.  If not, then you are now 100% sure that it did not go "kaput" this time.      And that's the only thing you a now sure of....

Hey everybody!

I have recieved my v12 today. Started it up and it stopped working in about 2 minutes. Internals still on, but no balancing, no input/output on the top panel, "please repair" screaming at me. It was just a glorified speaker with some LEDs. 

I tore the wheel apart, checked all connections, checked all mosfets and caps for values and nothing was wrong hardware wise. Then I turned it on and it worked until I connected via inmotion app for ios. 

Okay so long story short. When you get your new wheel, DO NOT USE AN IOS DEVICE. If you do, you will need to disconnect the batteries to reset the board and try again with an android phone. 

If you want some details on how I checked the wheel, go to our telegram channel:
https://t.me/+KS5mOWU-yvQ4MzY8

• Sad 2

Really wanting a V12.

Maybe a case of heart over head.

Lemon
Automobile

In American English, a lemon is a vehicle that turns out to have several manufacturing defects affecting its safety, value or utility.

Any vehicle with such severe issues may be termed a lemon, and by extension, so may any product with flaws too great or severe to serve its purpose. Wikipedia

8 minutes ago, rolis said:

I have recieved my v12 today. Started it up and it stopped working in about 2 minutes. Internals still on, but no balancing, no input/output on the top panel, "please repair" screaming at me. It was just a glorified speaker with some LEDs. 

Brand new, straight out of the box?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Brand new, straight out of the box with the new motherboard. So anyone who gets a wheel with the new mb, dont use the ios app. Try finding someone with an android for now until inmotion solves this.

edit: I did not test it with any other app (eucworld, darknessbot), just the official app. And I wont do anything else for now, because I want to ride :D

Edited by rolis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rolis said:

Brand new, straight out of the box with the new motherboard. So anyone who gets a wheel with the new mb, dont use the ios app. Try finding someone with an android for now until inmotion solves this.

edit: I did not test it with any other app (eucworld, darknessbot), just the official app. And I wont do anything else for now, because I want to ride :D

New wheel needs new phone - logic :facepalm:

• Haha 2

Maybe it's the Betty Crockett cake mix psychology thing.

Maybe consumers want an imperfect product that they need to contribute to, to make it work.

Burleigh Gardner and Dr. Ernet Dichter, both business psychologists:

'The problem, according to psychologists, was eggs. Dichter, in particular, believed that powdered eggs, often used in cake mixes, should be left out, so women could add a few fresh eggs into the batter, giving them a sense of creative contribution.

19 hours ago, Brendan "nog3" Halliday said:

I expressed to Inmotion that precisely this problem would happen in shipment if they didn't supply them already attached to heatsinks like every other driver board they supply. Vindication is not a good feeling here, sorry that you're having to deal with this.

Ok, to be clear I want to know so I can identify if it happens to any of the 50 boards I'm replacing. Please, spill the beans.

The guys tested the MOSFETs after the incident and were burned. The board failed on the same day it was mounted on. I’m so furious on InMotion. I can’t say too much. I’m waiting just as you to see what will other experience with the new boards, but definitely is not a good sign. InMotion has access to the logs from when the fail took place, they should provide us with more info. The more boards are tested the more info we gather. They do not have good engineering team for the boards. That becomes more and more clear to me. The “We trusted a lot the 100V MOSFETs and that’s why we used them in the 100.8V wheel” is not an argument that would come from an (well seasoned) engineer. 

LEMON

Edited by Paul g
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Maybe it's the Betty Crockett cake mix psychology thing.

Maybe consumers want an imperfect product that they need to contribute to, to make it work.

Burleigh Gardner and Dr. Ernet Dichter, both business psychologists:

'The problem, according to psychologists, was eggs. Dichter, in particular, believed that powdered eggs, often used in cake mixes, should be left out, so women could add a few fresh eggs into the batter, giving them a sense of creative contribution.

Yeah... Inmotion should pay me for the work I did today :D

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY SCREWS YOU NEED TO UNSCREW TO GET TO THE BOARD??

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Paul A said:

So glad I passed on buying the v12 and got the rs hs instead..I’ve put over 750 km on my new wheel this month without any issues.knock on wood .Problems with any wheel after spending thousands Of dollars  are unacceptable, especially fresh out of the box !

• Like 2

So, how long realistically until there is a clearer picture of what is going on here?

If these failures on the new boards are not just somehow outliers, what possible solution is there going to be after this? Is there any other realistic outcome than basically cutting my losses, tossing the thing in the garbage and moving on? (possibly riding it til it bricks first).

I really like riding my v12, but if this doesn't work out I might just be done with EUCs.