What are the thinnest and warmest gloves money can buy?

I've bought half a dozen pair of gloves from Amazon recently and I'm not happy with any of them, they are all going back. They are all either too thick and clumsy, or they are not warm enough.

I'd like the thinnest pair of gloves (w/ touch screen fingers) that will still keep me warm at -10c with minimal loss of dexterity.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

https://www.amazon.com/conductive-thread/s?k=conductive+thread

If you end up finding gloves that finally work for you, but aren’t touch screen ready. You can add conductive thread and fix that. 

Good tip, thanks! Now I just need something super warm and thin that doesn't completely rob me of dexterity.

• Like 1

Heated Gloves for Men Women... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KGDTGRX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I got these last month. I hate gloves but cold hands are miserable for arthritis. They are actually liners but I use them standalone. They fit under my wrist guards. They still are a bit cold when wet but they were warm enough for my rides today and yesterday. The temperature never warmed past 21f (-6c).

https://motionheat.com/

I dont know about -10 AND thin. These will get you close, but you'll need a shell with some insulation too, if you're trying to go arctic. They're my paramotor gloves, as Im a weenie about getting cold. Too bad I cant charge them with the euc, but 12v aint a bad deal either. They feel like Mechanix gloves but better fabric and heavy cuffs. Mine fit tight and you can def tell when they are on. Nitriles over them seem to do the trick for days nearing freezing. I tried the outdoor research capstones. Bulky as hell, expensive and limited heating across palm and fingers. Returned them fast.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Upvote 1

Thin disposable, latex gloves (maybe 2,3,4 layers etc) worn under the wrist guards might help to act as a windproof layer, and trap heat from hands.

Large leather gloves will fit over the wrist guards.

Not sure warmth and thinness/dexterity are going to be achievable easily.

Can just take off the gloves when dexterity needed.

• Like 1

Nitrile gloves are great for adding wind resistance under gloves that are otherwise not warm enough. Touch screen capability is also a huge added benefit so you won't be freezing your hands when you need to look up something. Most of the "touch screen capable" winter gloves are too bulky for actual use an the coating wears off fast.

Got this tip from a mechanic friend who uses nitrile gloves + cotton knit work gloves for winter car repairs in unheated garage/driveway. Keeps the grease off + great insulation with great dexterity. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, conecones said:

Nitrile gloves are great for adding wind resistance under gloves that are otherwise not warm enough. Touch screen capability is also a huge added benefit so you won't be freezing your hands when you need to look up something. Most of the "touch screen capable" winter gloves are too bulky for actual use an the coating wears off fast.

Got this tip from a mechanic friend who uses nitrile gloves + cotton knit work gloves for winter car repairs in unheated garage/driveway. Keeps the grease off + great insulation with great dexterity. 

I used to wear Mechanix neoprene with nitriles over the top, in the shop. Of course not long, as even in winter an auto shop warms, specially when we used the used oil heater.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/29/2021 at 10:44 AM, litewave said:

The Demon Overgloves are $30 per pair and are custom-designed to fit perfectly over the flexmeters. They go on/off easily and keep the hands warm in very cold weather. They cover the entire wristguard and are wide and long enough to easily extend over the lower sleeve above the wristguards. They have mild elastic at the wrist and drawstrings at the top, and are far superior than conventional gloves for this use case.

Pity they're not available in the EU and it's 45€ shipping outside of USA (+ import taxes and fees probably).

I'm mostly satisfied with larger winter MC leather gloves over the Flexmeters, even if they're a slight hassle to put on .

Edited by EUC Forest

On 12/29/2021 at 12:44 PM, litewave said:

They will replace any product under their "shred-proof" warranty

That is good to know because the stuff shreds just fine! I recently fell at low speed (~15kmh) on ice/snow/asphalt with wrist guards and demon overmittens (very similar to overgloves) and the latter ripped in two places on the palm. To be fair, the wrist guards were not flexmeters [which are too bulky to wear under my winter parka] but the standard decathlon oxelos with ridges at the edges of the slider . Apparently that's where the overmitten shredded.

I didn't find any additional info on the warranty, do you have any experience? My plan is to tape the rips over with some heavy duty tape. The rips are roughly 2cm long each.

2 minutes ago, yoos said:

I didn't find any additional info on the warranty

I believe they have warranty info on their (US) website. Are the over mittens warm? They've always out of stock for US delivery, but I'd like to get a set... but not if they're not warm!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tawpie said:

Are the over mittens warm?

Yes, I'd say they are. At least they are decidedly warmer than standard leather gloves with cashmere lining. I am comfortable wearing them solo at -10C or higher or riding the EUC at 15-20kph with light wrist guards under the mittens at the same temp range of -10C or higher. In the colder range of -10C to -25C I add gloves underneath the wrist guards and it suffices [these - only rated for 6C to 11C for a bicycle]. I haven't tried colder temperatures yet.

One strange feature of the mittens is individual finger linings inside the mitten (i.e. there is a glove hidden inside the mitten). I would prefer a single shared volume for my fingers. A positive feature of the mittens is the ski-pass pocket, which I (once) used to store a credit card and pay for a short bus trip without undressing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EUC Forest said:

Pity they're not available in the EU and it's 45€ shipping outside of USA (+ import taxes and fees probably).

I'm mostly satisfied with larger winter MC leather gloves over the Flexmeters, even if they're a slight hassle to put on .

I would double-check that before dismissing the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if Demon already has a discounted or more-affordable means of shipping to their customers outside the US. The overgloves are very light and can be easilty squished, so by weight, and maybe volume, shopping costs might be lower than you think. The items should fit into a postal bag and not require a box. Shipping costs for items couriered by international post are almost always less expensive. You could contact Demon by email or on the contact page (web email form) on their site, or even phone them (MST USA) to discuss and request international flat-rate priority mail as the shipping method ahead of time. You can even look up those rates at USPS.com yourself. The medium box can be a bit pricey but will easily fit the overgloves, although it may not be necessary. Check if there is a rate for large (padded) interrnational flat-rate envelope. Don't worry too much about the size limits; overgloves should fit regardless.

Also, I have lived many years abroad. Both countries I lived in did not assess value-added tax (MWST, GST, whatever it is called in your country) below a certain declared value. For example, Australia has a $1000AUD threshhold. You should know what this threshhold value is; check your country's Customs site for "import duties" and import tax collection. Frankly, I seriously doubt your Customs service will care or want to waste time on a $30USD item, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, yoos said:

That is good to know because the stuff shreds just fine! I recently fell at low speed (~15kmh) on ice/snow/asphalt with wrist guards and demon overmittens (very similar to overgloves) and the latter ripped in two places on the palm. To be fair, the wrist guards were not flexmeters [which are too bulky to wear under my winter parka] but the standard decathlon oxelos with ridges at the edges of the slider . Apparently that's where the overmitten shredded.

I didn't find any additional info on the warranty, do you have any experience? My plan is to tape the rips over with some heavy duty tape. The rips are roughly 2cm long each.

I had two items replaced and one refunded under their warranty. They were generous and accommodating about my cirumstances/issues. As long as you are truthful and reasonable, I doubt you would ever have issues. The difficulty with Demon is that they are hard to reach by phone (best time to call is 0930-1200 US MST) and through email/web contact page because they are popular and usually short-staffed. You just have to be persistent, but they will get back to you and make things right.

59 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I believe they have warranty info on their (US) website. Are the over mittens warm? They've always out of stock for US delivery, but I'd like to get a set... but not if they're not warm!

As a general rule, seasonal items tend to sell out quickly once the season starts; Demon is very popular on the snowboarding scene. They might have an order already placed with their supplier in China but it could take months. I purchased my overgloves over three years ago at the same price as now so it is probable they will restock the item later this year.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 7:59 PM, Tryptych said:

I've bought half a dozen pair of gloves from Amazon recently and I'm not happy with any of them, they are all going back. They are all either too thick and clumsy, or they are not warm enough.

I'd like the thinnest pair of gloves (w/ touch screen fingers) that will still keep me warm at -10c with minimal loss of dexterity.

Any suggestions?

The thinnest and warmest gloves are not gloves at all. It is having warn layers to keep you core temperature up. 

This video linked below is one I saw some time back. I use this trick to keep my feet warm as I always had cold feet. 

This goes for both feet and hands. 

So you can use this tip of layered clothing on upper body and lower body/legs too. 

So as it gets colder I add a 3rd layer to my upper body. First as a vest under my MC jacket but as it gets colder I swap to long sleeve mid layer shirt. This can be made of different fabric too. 

So depending on how cold it is you might not need gloves. I found though that windchill factor is key when riding euc. So anything that wind cannot go though will help a lot. 

I also found wearing a balaclava helps a lot. And wearing a full face helmet with closed visor (and having pinlock is a must for moist free visor). I wear wind/weatherproof work gloves bought in local DIY store. They are thick but that is to give more protection for my hands in case of an accident. It isn't much but better than bare skin on asphalt. 

Winter gear december 2021