Mango

On 1/17/2023 at 2:28 PM, Uras said:

Dawn mentioned all the electronic hobbling of the wheel. Coming from a motorcycle background I hated that stuff. Brake switch, sidestand switch, clutch switch, neutral switch etc. Each and everyone of these switches eventually fails and it takes some investigating to find out what the problem is. I would spend a few hours on each new bike to neutralize that bs. I don't think you can with the v13 - it's in the firmware etc. I will avoid it with distaste. It looked problematic for those dudes riding it.

Top speed limited electronically to 55mph. That's the hobbling.

Honest question: Just how fast would you like to go on an EUC?

Here in SF, at a speed much lower than 55, a rider smashed into the side of a garbage truck and died. It's not only tragic for him and his friends and family. The driver of the truck, who was not at fault, has to live with that for the rest of his life.

Is 55 mph really not enough?

On 1/18/2023 at 2:30 AM, Paul g said:

I think they choose the wrong dimension of tire for V13. I think a 20’ would’ve been just fine for the speed and range it has and it would had a lot less weight.

I've wondered that very question: how much associated weight comes with an increase in tire size 20"-->22"? How much heavier is the wheel? The extra structure needed?

10 hours ago, Uras said:

it would be nice to do a balance charge every now and then. I leave charger on for an hour or so after full charge to get that fine balancing, then every other charge go to 80%. It seems that inmotion is taking that control away from you, including the 33mph (by gps) speed hobbling. Those things alone would shit me. From what I understand balancing happens by bleeding off charge from fully charged cells till all cells are at full charge.

The V13 is limited to 55mph. Where did 33mph come from?

7 hours ago, SquallLHeart said:

I covered it in a very short YouTube video.. but the information I was given is that the cell balancing will happen when 3 conditions are met..

(Regardless of the battery being at full or not.. because everyone keeps talking about needing the wheel at 100% battery for the batteries to balance.. and people started freaking out because charging stops when a cell reaches 4.185V)

conditions are.. as I've been told by InMotion:

• Battery cells are over 3.7V (so like.. 111V)
  • The difference between cells exceeds 30mV
  • The charger is plugged in

I wish I could hit the upvote button 3 or 4 times for this!

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, UPONIT said:
11 hours ago, Uras said:

it would be nice to do a balance charge every now and then. I leave charger on for an hour or so after full charge to get that fine balancing, then every other charge go to 80%. It seems that inmotion is taking that control away from you, including the 33mph (by gps) speed hobbling. Those things alone would shit me. From what I understand balancing happens by bleeding off charge from fully charged cells till all cells are at full charge.

I think it was stated in one or more of the videos that if you have the pedals set to be soft the speed is limited lower than 55mph. If you want max theoretical speed the pedals have to be on 100% hardness (called softness in the app for some reason)

If you set it to 0% hardness, your max speed is something like 33mph

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rebeuc said:

I think it was stated in one or more of the videos that if you have the pedals set to be soft the speed is limited lower than 55mph. If you want max theoretical speed the pedals have to be on 100% hardness (called softness in the app for some reason)

If you set it to 0% hardness, your max speed is something like 33mph

Yeah now I remember.

In the first video where Dawn had JUST been exposed to the wheel and had negative things to say (like the 33ishmph speed cap) that was because she had not had time to play with the settings.

In later videos (including the livestream one) she clarified that there had been confusion; when they first got the wheel they adjusted the setting in the app that was titled 'pedal softness' to 0%, thinking that would make the pedals hard. Really, that was the softest setting possible, and led to the wheel having the lower speed limit.

Later on they learned that the 'pedal softness' setting is actually 'pedal hardness', and so 100% was the correct setting to get fully hard pedals, which it turns out also allow for the highest speeds.

Further complicating things it seems there are the 'assisted braking' and 'acceleration assistance' settings, which apparently behave similarly to softening the pedals. I don't have a clear sense on if those settings affect the speed or just how similar to pedal hardness they actually are. I assume they must not affect the speed much if at all because Dawn mentions she likes the acceleration assistance one, though she did not like the braking assistance one, and absolutely hated using both simultaneously.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/17/2023 at 4:56 AM, Kingsong Russia said:

Holy cow!
That controller... highest current ratings of any EUC yet!

AL9nZEUzCA9VQsWBko5S0GsVlzSIWq6mznjrV0S4Xw2syiyGVw9Egc_6MjkVKUtUa_9GUygri2mh5oNU4IzGZnnA59imZzzk1MMK8tk4TKlx97-MRkMqO-elVR9MccyfXGGuc3MOW0XYiCWsUUm3h1QKDrdxVg=w1230-h252-no?authuser=0

https://ecodrift.ru/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/hgp098n20m_v1.0.pdf

(Using the final column as a basis of determining how stressed the components are by an example of 200A motor current: winners are V13, then MP24, then Sherman/Max/S, then EX30.) 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Upvote 3

On Facebook, Marty and a Roger had a go on the V13 and Commander Pro.

Apparently, Roger discovered that the V13 has less climbing torque than the S22. 

Are people buying the V13 for climbing power?

Having said that, what happened to the 300 N-m torque? 

Roger Hajali

Daniel Lawson I had high hopes but it turns out that it has less climbing power than the S22. I spent the whole ride over powering that wheel

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Dawn and Marty. The wheel showed higher speed (still under 40) but it was 33 by gps. If you like it, that's all that matters.

Edited by Uras

1 hour ago, Uras said:

Dawn and Marty. The wheel showed higher speed (still under 40) but it was 33 by gps. If you like it, that's all that matters.

Oh they were coming down Mt Baldy were they ? Hope they kept an eye out for our missing actor, Julian Sands !

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

Got the Clark Pads today.  Waiting for the wheel before I dig into the box if I can wait that long.  They have an installation video.

I’ll post that link once I find the video.

DD63A913-9A35-4175-8689-DE8137D7D24F.thumb.jpeg.8aa831a7d315b98da3368c304842b900.jpeg

the one just posted this morning? 👀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Marty suffered heatstroke on Mt Baldy when his wheel ran out of power.

Julian missing since 13 Jan.

EPIRBs needed.

You'd think he''d have one - he is quite the mountaineer apparently ! They found his car, and took it away, which doesn't bode well...

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

was there a specific line of discussion here recently, that you suggest we split out? 

A good recent example would be @Josiah's recent post on Protection gear, which recently diversified into fire safety, and resulted in all the traditional fire pictures being posted all over again.... although that's less a candidate for a split, and more one for the 'link fire thread once and remove' pile...

The existing system works well if, as suggested, we have one main 'speculation' thread for new models, and possibly a 'main model' thread for when it finally arrives, but then people post their individual issues with that model as new threads within the manufacturer category, and title them helpfully so problems are easily searchable.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SquallLHeart said:

because some people asked me to do it.

The Clark pads look very well thought out and if I were going to put pads on the V13, they would be the ones, for sure.

But the V13 is such a beautiful minimalist wheel, IMO, it seems a shame to cover it up and bulk it out...

6 hours ago, techyiam said:

On Facebook, Marty and a Roger had a go on the V13 and Commander Pro.

Apparently, Roger discovered that the V13 has less climbing torque than the S22. 

Are people buying the V13 for climbing power?

Having said that, what happened to the 300 N-m torque? 

That's an anecdote. Not evidence.

5 hours ago, Uras said:

As @rebeuc explained above and Dawn also pointed out, it is only limited to 33mph if you have Pedal Softness set to 0%. Otherwise, 55mph.

I can't like it or hate it until I get a chance to ride it...

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

A good recent example would be @Josiah's recent post on Protection gear, which recently diversified into fire safety, and resulted in all the traditional fire pictures being posted all over again.... although that's less a candidate for a split, and more one for the 'link fire thread once and remove' pile...

The existing system works well if, as suggested, we have one main 'speculation' thread for new models, and possibly a 'main model' thread for when it finally arrives, but then people post their individual issues with that model as new threads within the manufacturer category, and title them helpfully so problems are easily searchable.

It would be great if the software provided a way to nicely print an entire thread to PDF. Acrobat's advanced search features would make it easier to extract information needed.

Alternatively, have much better advanced search features in the forum software. But searchability seems to be a weak spot on most forums...

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, techyiam said:

The bigger wheel would make it harder to accelerate up wheel I imagine. 

The overpowering comment is weird though. Maybe he was too used to his mten4?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Josiah said:

Got the Clark Pads today.  Waiting for the wheel before I dig into the box if I can wait that long.  They have an installation video.

I’ll post that link once I find the video.

DD63A913-9A35-4175-8689-DE8137D7D24F.thumb.jpeg.8aa831a7d315b98da3368c304842b900.jpeg

I just ordered the same set of Clark Pads for my V13 this afternoon.  How long did it take for you to receive the order after you placed it?  Thanks!