Gear for a beginner

Finally decided to get the V8s. Can I just get skating style wrist guards and helmet at the beginning while I learn? 

I would hate wasting time to gear up and down, I just wanna ride here and there for a short time without needing to protect everywhere...

Any good set to get outthere, like amazon?

Edited by Bronson
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Finally decided to get the V8s. Can I just get skating style wrist guards and helmet at the beginning while I learn? 

I would hate wasting time to gear up and down, I just wanna ride here and there for a short time without needing to protect everywhere...

Any good set to get outthere, like amazon?

It's very much a matter of personal taste and your own comfort level but for what it's worth I only started with exactly what you are proposing - a skate helmet and skate wrist guards.  It was only as my confidence grew and I started riding faster and pushing the boundaries that I upscaled my protective gear.  This is only my opinion but I felt that as soon as I was going faster than what I could 'run out' if I came off the wheel then I wanted a full face helmet and some elbow and knee protection.

• Like 2

Opinions will vary greatly. I learned in blue jeans and a t-shirt. :)  I'm of the method that if it isnt quality and comfy, its a waste of money. When I decide to ride like a fool, sometimes I don flexmeters. Amazon is evil....

Grats on the new wheel!

• Like 1

I used Triple-8 skate gloves in my first year of riding. I was lucky, as I did not have any hard faceplants on concrete/asphalt in my cinderella year.

The following year I had a slow stumble forward one day from a stationary position and hit squarely on the metal skid plates. I felt a hard shock travel straight through my wrists up my arms. I then knew how lucky and foolish I had been.

You will fall forward (faceplant) at some point, and It is probable that you will reach forward with outstretched arms to catch yourself - it's instinct.

Don't skimp on the wristguards, helmet, or elbow guards. It's not worth the risk. You can get a good full-face helmet for about $125 and up (or less from India). Decent elbow guards are relatively inexpensive.

The Demon Flexmeters are probably the most popular and one of the best, and have proven themselves many times over in many years of riding.

But damn, they are getting expensive at $99.99 ( I paid half that for my three pairs). If you do buy them, call their Customer Service and ask for a new customer or Black Friday discount (probably 15%): you should also get free ground shipping in the US (but probably not to Canada). Call in the morning between 09-1100am MST - they are located in Utah.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

Skater gear works fine, do get some cheap soccer shin guards. I started with ProTec knees and elbows and the free eWheels wrist guards (they’re about $14 if you buy the non-branded ones). Skater helmet.

A couple of very low speed tumbles and I went to moto gear, but by then I was totally hooked. You can get used moto stuff, keep an eye out!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Thanks. Uff, Demon staff looks good but is it worth it? What about something like this, is it not enough protective:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00GG7AYLG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_R6C256YX7Y7K2N7PNDV3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

"value' is also an opinion. Im a comfort who*e so its either good or nothing. My theory when wondering if safety gear is worth it..  Most of the time its not worth the time or effort for me to put it on. So no, its usually not 'worth' it. However, when I decide to compromise my comfort for security, I want GREAT comfort and GREAT security, or why bother? Worse than having nothing on for safety, is having total sh*t on that doesnt protect but merely inhibits motion and gives false security. Our budgets all differ, but I typically suggest to buy quality with a good return policy. Even quality gear isnt worth sh*t if it doesnt fit. Demon gear is nice, but man talk about bulky knees and elbows. I went the MC suit route, but I also found some scott evo grenade knees for hot days. I've worn them twice in two years and they seemed to work. Personally, I think good gloves and fall technique are better than cheap wrists, anyday. Hard/cheap wrist guards endanger the arm and typically are merely used like sliders.

Are you well versed in these kinds of activities? Did you learn to fall over the years? How quick are you on your feet? The answers to these, also play a part in the evaluation of what you choose to ride in.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

@Bronson Triple-8 has good stuff for beginners. If you are staying around 10-15mph you should be OK with some cheap gear. Just stay away from cars and people and you should be good.

As soon as you see yourself going faster, riding around traffic, off roading or other crazy stuff...you prob wanna upgrade your gear.

Also, don't get cheap gear (esp knee pads). I tore gashes in both my knees with the pads that came with my 2nd scooter. Although well intentioned, the cheap pads had metal rivits in them that tore holes about the size of dimes when I dropped down from a very slow fall. So yeah...spend a few $$ and it will save months of healing.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

don't get cheap gear (esp knee pads)

Actually, that's an excellent point. The very basics are helmet, knee and wrist. The reason most ride with a helmet that has a chin bar is that you will fall off going forward and your face will smack the ground. The problem with investing in a solid helmet right off the bat is that they're expensive and when you're learning you probably won't end up on your face. But eventually you'll be getting a good helmet with a chin bar.

Knees—I'd say that's the one place where you can go right to the long term solution: Leatt Dual Axis. You will mash your knees while learning and the Leatts will stay with you all the way up to and through the inevitable high speed hit-a-pothole-or-overlean-horrible-warning crashes.

Wrists are kind of in the same category as knees—you just gotta have solid protection because your instinct will be to catch yourself by sticking your arms out.

Elbows aren't nearly as much at risk during the learning stage and since you won't be bouncing down the road after a crash at learning speed (hopefully anyway), the elbow pads mostly need to protect you from the initial impact. As your speed goes up though, you need elbow pads that'll stay put after the first impact.

Shoulder, hips, and tailbone are at mild risk while learning (but they are at risk, make no mistake). Going without depends on your tolerance for rehab and ability to heal... I went without until I got tangled up in the wheel and landed on my hip+shoulder. Then Mr. Visa got a bit of a workout and now I look totally dorky (but haven't suffered from any of my crashes (yet) so I'll go with that!).

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

I doubt price is directly related to efficiency, and have never seen a study regarding this.

For having done all my learning falls with decathlons 15€ set (knee, elbow, wrist) they did the job. Even for sliding over a car bonnet and into the ground.

Now that I ride farther and faster I’ve upgraded to TSG mid range (all ground); which is a good compromise between cost, bulk and perceived effisciency.

edit: as for bike helmets, it’s really just hard foam acting as a crumpling zone. Some have snazzy features, some are not up to standard, but AFAIK there is no magic.

edit 2: I’m not saying you should buy crappy gear, just that IMO it isn’t a hard rule that you should spend as much as possible.

Regarding the flexmeter wrist guards they are quite long and hot, I end up never using them. Go to is tripple8 roller derby wrist savers now a days.

Edited by div

On 11/4/2021 at 1:51 AM, Bronson said:

Can I just get skating style wrist guards and helmet at the beginning while I learn?

Yes.

When you have a wheel where you regularly go over 25kph/15mph, I'd get knee guards, too, and make sure the helmet is full face. But for a V8S, I'd say wrist guards and a helmet (this is the order of importance) is perfectly fine.

Of course you can always be unlucky. And nobody is stopping you from wearing any gear you like.

• Like 1

@TawpieIs correct. Knees and wrist guards are most important when starting out. Helmets are a great idea. I had several knee and palm imacts while learning/going too fast. If you get wrist guards, I would make sure they have skid plates on the palms (not just braces around the wrist). You don't want to tear up your palms like so many of us have.

I wore 3 different bicycle helmets the first 3 years I rode (3.5 years). Starting today I am using my old motorcycle full face helmet, and asked myself "Why wasn't I wearing this thing the whole time?!" I have a very good Scorpion MC helmet I used to wear , and I always thought it was bulky, but after riding around the block once with it, I realize it is not. The main reason I decided to switch to a MC helmet is that my good ol 18L decided to shut itself off while walking down a hallway. That is the first time it has had a glitch (aside from various FW issues when I first got it before they ironed things out), since I have had it and it made me more aware that even though it's been great for years, it could die at any second. So yeah...helmet.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, East Coast said:

not part of a bundle

Leatt, Demon, Fox... all the big brands will happily sell you individual pieces. I recommend something that goes down your forearm a ways, once you come off your elbow you'll slide on your forearm.

I got a full face helmet. It smells horrible and feels so weird has anyone gotten this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3K6V25

Wondering if I would even need that much protection (when my wheels won't go over 30 mph, I just got it, and have to learn how to go slow first lol)?

I waiting for https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077VSNBPQ to use with my e-scooter. Wonder if that would be enough to get started at low speeds on my wheels?

Those no-name helmets are garbage, made in questionable Chinese factories with no regulation or certifications. At best they provide same protection as a half lid bike helmet. Stick to brand name mc helmets like Arai, Shoei, HJC and AGV.

• Like 2

Thx! On Amazon they said the full faced one was DOT certified. Will be returning it!

The last 2 brands are better for my pocket. Will get one of those!

Edit: What about this brand as well?

Edited by East Coast
Adding more info

• 2 weeks later...

@Circuitmage

When you turn with that helmet can you have full range of motion around your neck?

I ended up returning the one I got and now have the following which are hard to my head so see well sideways and making me wonder if they're both having:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0116DY0UU

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M976X5M

During my research I found out that helmets are designed for different head shapes. I have a small head and so far the one one I find comfortable are these in extra small

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDM541W

On 11/18/2021 at 11:02 AM, Circuitmage said:

Scorpion (MC helmet)

Which one is that one? I didn't find it in my search

2 hours ago, East Coast said:

@Circuitmage

When you turn with that helmet can you have full range of motion around your neck?

I ended up returning the one I got and now have the following which are hard to my head so see well sideways and making me wonder if they're both having:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0116DY0UU

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M976X5M

During my research I found out that helmets are designed for different head shapes. I have a small head and so far the one one I find comfortable are these in extra small

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDM541W

Which one is that one? I didn't find it in my search

Most of the helmets you link to are crap or are intended for children on the sidewalk.

It seems that you have not read much of the Helmet Thread on this site. I would strongly encourage you to do so. There is a lot of knowledge and wisdom in it that has accumulated from the community over time. I and many others have already made the noob mistakes such as cheap clamshell helmets, heavy modular helmets, all black helmets, etc, but have learned over time from our (bad) choices.

The clamshell skate helmets do not provide enough protection for EUCs. Street motorcycle helmets in general are too heavy and bulky for riding an EUC. Modular motorcycle helmets are even heavier. Street helmets also tend to have less visibility. Ideally you will choose a full-face MTB or BMX helmet around 750g with MIPS (Bell Super 3R, Air, DH) but not much more than 1000g (1kg).

Here are some good, popular options I am personally familiar with. I own one or more in each category, as well as one from each of the undesirable groups mentioned above.

Low cost:

Steel Air Bird SBA-2 $70-80 on eBay with free shipping from India if you look hard enough. Great design with extensive face shield, very durable shell, foam insulation dubious. Several complaints about fit/comfort due to the different head shapes and ethnicities it was designed for.

Low-mid range cost:

Demon Podium, Demon Freeride, Bell Sanction $100-150. Good, no MIPs, not too heavy.

Demon Podium w/ MIPs $150: Good inexpensive helmet if you can find it in stock.

Troy Lee GP $185: slightly heavier moto helmet, great colors and designs, no MIPs, less visibility.

Mid-higher price:

Troy Lee SE3 (Moto) or D3 (BMX) $245+ : Great helmet, fantastic ventilation, lightweight, nice artwork and design.

POC Coron $250, some complaints about head shape also. Rare helmet that has EPP foam insulation.

Bell Super 3R $150-250 on sale, great lightweight convertible helmet w/ MIPs, somewhat dated older design.

Leatt Enduro 3.0 $280, convertible, hard to find, no MIPs, somewhat controversial fit and shape (chin guard extends much farther than other helmets.

Bell Super Air R $275: great successor to Super 3R, update design, even lighter with better ventilation, convertible, MIPs.

Giro Switchblade $275: nice helmet, convertible, MIPs, somewhat dated.

Giro Disciple $250: nice helmet, not convertible, similar to but a little heavier than Switchblade.

Higher price:

TSG Pass $300 - very popular, great looking, solid and lighter weight (1kg), some fogging on face shield in winter, very snug, D-loop fastener is inconvenient.

TSG Pass Pro $330 - see above, some minor extras, better fit/finish.

Troy Lee Stage $275-300: Great helmet, fantastic ventilation, lightweight, super cool artwork and design, with MIPs, magnetic strap closure is awesome.

Bell Super DH $325: Bell's top-of-the line in the MTB Super product line. Most protection and suitable for high-speed and extreme off-road.

Honorable mentions:

Predator Skate helmet DH-x $300-400 great DH skate helmet with super visibility, one size fits most, made in Canada, somewhat expensive.

Triple-8 Downhill Racer $150-250: DH skater helmet, nice design but dated, hard to find and probably discontinued.

Troy Lee SE4 (Moto) or D4 (MTB) $395 (fiberglass): $550+ (carbon): super cool design, MIPs, magnetic closure, top-of-the line classic TLD, expensive.

New Olders Avitar V2 $220-350: nice designs, very customizable with many color combinations, made in Brazil.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 3

I could never recommend the Steelbird. It looks amazing but every single one I have seen (irrespective of the ethnicity/head shape of the wearer) has the chin section much too close to the chin. Pretty useless as chin protection, but better than nothing for the rest of the head I guess. Build quality is also very low.

I would add the 661 Reset as a low priced, decent full face MTB helmet. I have one and it's built very well for the price.

Fox Proframe would fit into the high price bracket. A great helmet, with loads of ventilation.

But yeah, reading the helmet thread would be a good start :)

• Like 2

Thanks!!!

@litewave

I thought I had looked at the helmet thread when I started checking. I know I posted things in this thread too and got those helmets based on the brand. Will look into all you mentioned

@Planemo

I have a very small head so idk if that would be an issue for me but will keep any eye out as I search to see what I find and fits best.

• Like 1

@litewave

Ordered this one in small. Was checking head sizing hopefully it fits my my head shape well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0861Z4R7Z

Edit: Now I have to start looking for a Googles for it. Guess I'll wait for it to arrive and make sure it fits well first :D

Upon looking at the helmet thread I must have missed it when I was initially keyword searching

Edited by East Coast
Googles
  • Like 1