Gear for a beginner

Sporting the right set of protective gear can significantly reduce the risk of sustaining injuries and can even save lives. It should be mandatory for every to wear a reliable and highly protective helmet no matter how skilled or experienced they are.
Aside from a helmet, beginners can boost their confidence and secure themselves with knee and elbow pads as well as a trusty pair of wrist guards.

• 1 month later...

When i learned/started riding i didn't have any gear at all. Won't lie.. I had a belly flop at low speed, and one blue ankle.

Later i got full face helmet(Oneal: 3 SRS Attack Helmet Black/Neon Yellow), knee/wrist guards. I mostly use only wrist guards.. On fun long rides i use all.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 9:50 AM, HardyM said:

Sporting the right set of protective gear can significantly reduce the risk of sustaining injuries and can even save lives. It should be mandatory for every to wear a reliable and highly protective helmet no matter how skilled or experienced they are.
Aside from a helmet, beginners can boost their confidence and secure themselves with knee and elbow pads as well as a trusty pair of wrist guards.

Mandates for a device we CHOOSE to ride and most of us for pleasure? If you learn to ride nearly naked, there's more incentive to not crash. I think wrist guards are as usefull as a helmet, for those who are still moving along slowly. Quality wrist guards that is.  Of course, we each should be aware of how much risk we are willing to take, and how we handle crashes.

• Like 2

Strap on, flexible mesh, Velcro, slide on sleeves, elastic, plastic, limited coverage gear, thin, non CE certified guards/pads, not securely held in place, inadequate shock absorption.

Penetration resulting in cuts, bleeding.  

Not as good as proper motorcycle gear, but better than nothing.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Paul A said:

Strap on, flexible mesh, Velcro, slide on sleeves, elastic, plastic, limited coverage gear, thin, non CE certified guards/pads, not securely held in place, inadequate shock absorption.

21mph on the mten? Such a brave soul. Looks like you figured out just how much the little bastard doesnt like going that fast. Hell yeah that hurt, but youll live and learn. The mten doesnt offer much warning, so you gotta be mindful on your own. Your 18xl however, is a little more conservative when it warns you. Before I knew any better, I was successfully riding the beeps on the KS. I dont do silly things like that anymore. Glad you had the gear on, I bet that knee rash burns in the shower!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Confused 1

On 2/21/2022 at 12:33 AM, Paul A said:

What kind of motorcycle gear do you recommend for full coverage?

Modeka Jacket and Pants? maybe?

Syirrus

Motorcycle gear is more abrasion resistant, the clothing will remain securely in place, has CE certified guards held securely in place, provides full coverage etc.

Full grain leather is best.

Textiles cheaper and may be sufficient.

One or two piece suits, made to measure, are available online.

On 2/21/2022 at 2:13 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

21mph on the mten? Such a brave soul. Looks like you figured out just how much the little bastard doesnt like going that fast. Hell yeah that hurt, but youll live and learn. The mten doesnt offer much warning, so you gotta be mindful on your own. Your 18xl however, is a little more conservative when it warns you. Before I knew any better, I was successfully riding the beeps on the KS. I dont do silly things like that anymore. Glad you had the gear on, I bet that knee rash burns in the shower!

On 2/20/2022 at 7:33 PM, Paul A said:

Great vid - his gear really saved him! ironically - lower speed crashes can be more harmful cuz above a certain speed, body will slide on pave. Below a certain speed if you cannot stay on your feet, you come to a dead stop when you hit the ground (and this rapid decel is what often causes the head to hit the ground). That and riding straight into a parked car...

Edited by redsnapper

5 hours ago, syirrus said:

It has to fit well. And be something you'll actually wear. Otherwise...

I wear Rev'It textile jacket and pants, Level 2 armor with a ForceField chest protector underneath and always zip the jacket to the pants. So far so good, but no high speed crashes to really test it out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, syirrus said:

Modeka Jacket and Pants? maybe?

Syirrus

Any gear you willing to wear. Otherwise that gear would stay in closet. My 55 old is wearing ZERO gear at all. Regular baseball cap, jacket, jeans.

I mostly wear only wrist guards.. But for long fun rides, i take full face helmet, kneepads, wrist guards.

Our wheels don't go faster than 30kph, normally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Pictures of road rash.

Probably at higher speeds of a motorcycle though.

image.jpeg.68a8b157292d0990c8af235c6371bc11.jpeg

Rash Decisions | Ride Forever

Ride Reports and Other Drivel: EXTREME ROADRASH, the Original Brittany  Morrow Story by Brittany Morrow

110 Road Rash ideas | road rash, rashes, road rash treatment

The official scans make it so much worse : titanfolk

Yikes, that is some bad rash. I was thinking of getting full motorcycle jacket and pants with a chest piece for sure. Paul, thank you for the information. Maybe I should go to a motorcycle shop to make sure I have a good fit!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Pictures of road rash.

Probably at higher speeds of a motorcycle though.

image.jpeg.68a8b157292d0990c8af235c6371bc11.jpeg

Rash Decisions | Ride Forever

Ride Reports and Other Drivel: EXTREME ROADRASH, the Original Brittany  Morrow Story by Brittany Morrow

110 Road Rash ideas | road rash, rashes, road rash treatment

The official scans make it so much worse : titanfolk

That's for sure is on higher speeds. You need to slide to get that "Auch"

Riding safely/defensively - that's the best Protective Gear. Only thing that can hurt you is wheel cutout..

If you like riding crazy (Jumping of curbs, riding stairs, taking risky turns..) Then yes, you will fall for sure.

Yes i get that it's better to have gear on all times. Because better be safe than sorry. But meh.. Simply don't fall. :efee8319ab:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Funky said:

That's for sure is on higher speeds. You need to slide to get that "Auch"

Riding safely/defensively - that's the best Protective Gear. Only thing that can hurt you is wheel cutout..

If you like riding crazy (Jumping of curbs, riding stairs, taking risky turns..) Then yes, you will fall for sure.

Yes i get that it's better to have gear on all times. Because better be safe than sorry. But meh.. Simply don't fall. :efee8319ab:

I purchased a Sherman. I'm a noob and can "ride it".  I put it in quotes because I'm far from being able to have any appreciable confidence other than getting on it and slowly riding it around. I managed not to crash the thing to by taking it slow when I was learning in a controlled area. Anyway, I'm a longboarder and just like to cruise.  I got the Sherman to cruise for longer distances. 30 - 40 kph is plenty of speed for me. I still think as Paul and others have suggested, it would be prudent to gear up completely. As I tell though around me that think I'm crazy for have an EUC, "It's NOT a toy, but it's fun".

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, syirrus said:

I purchased a Sherman. I'm a noob and can "ride it".  I put it in quotes because I'm far from being able to have any appreciable confidence other than getting on it and slowly riding it around. I managed not to crash the thing to by taking it slow when I was learning in a controlled area. Anyway, I'm a longboarder and just like to cruise.  I got the Sherman to cruise for longer distances. 30 - 40 kph is plenty of speed for me. I still think as Paul and others have suggested, it would be prudent to gear up completely. As I tell though around me that think I'm crazy for have an EUC, "It's NOT a toy, but it's fun".

I also can "ride it" i was going 30kph on my second ride. <<  I'm still learning for sure, won't lie about that. As i said, i wear full face helmet, wrist/knee pads, when i go for long rides. For job-train-home 3km ride, i mostly wear only wrist guards. As i'm going true people.. I doubt i go over 25kph then. (As i mostly speeding up, slowing down most of ride. Because you have to slow down passing people.) So i can't really speed up there.

And that gear i got after i "learned" to ride it. There's also skill level and how confident you are riding it. I'm not confident at all around people (talking etc..) But riding you do or you don't. Simple. As i'm very careful by nature (Heck i stop and lift my euc of curb) I don't really need the gear. Because i analyze every situation before i do something.

Yes i know you still can fall, etc.. But i would fall only if euc get's broken suddenly. Then be it.. Even if you fall it will be mostly on your face or side.. So you have to be ready to lift your hands. When you fall it's like time suddenly stops. I can't explain that. But you have plenty time to put your arms up.

Honestly i simply don't feel the need for gear. But that's my thought process. Till i get injured then maybe i will rethink this..

Full body suit for 25kph speeds seems overkill.. And for 3km ride bother.. Then again some people are more concerned about their "safety, wellbeing" than others.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Funky said:

I also can "ride it" i was going 30kph on my second ride. <<  I'm still learning for sure, won't lie about that. As i said, i wear full face helmet, wrist/knee pads, when i go for long rides. For job-train-home 3km ride, i mostly wear only wrist guards. As i'm going true people.. I doubt i go over 25kph then. (As i mostly speeding up, slowing down most of ride. Because you have to slow down passing people.) So i can't really speed up there.

And that gear i got after i "learned" to ride it. There's also skill level and how confident you are riding it. I'm not confident at all around people (talking etc..) But riding you do or you don't. Simple. As i'm very careful by nature (Heck i stop and lift my euc of curb) I don't really need the gear. Because i analyze every situation before i do something.

Yes i know you still can fall, etc.. But i would fall only if euc get's broken suddenly. Then be it.. Even if you fall it will be mostly on your face or side.. So you have to be ready to lift your hands. When you fall it's like time suddenly stops. I can't explain that. But you have plenty time to put your arms up.

Honestly i simply don't feel the need for gear. But that's my thought process. Till i get injured then maybe i will rethink this..

Full body suit for 25kph speeds seems overkill.. And for 3km ride bother.. Then again some people are more concerned about their "safety, wellbeing" than others.

Man, you sound like me. I’m analyzing every situation I confronted with; when I’m rolling. I even turn the machine off when I need to go up a curb or need to transverse something sketchy. Today I rode about 15km around the parking lot, inside a warehouse building just practicing. I practice slow turns and tight turns as I ride.  I have my speed alarm set to 20kph and tilt back at at 24kph. Typically I ride between 12kph - 16kph. I figure if I cannot control it well at those speeds I have no business going faster. Having said that, I’ve experienced the till back maybe two times once on purpose. I kinda like the sensation of the tilt back lol. Anyway I’m rolling without a helmet, but I have wrist guards and knee pads (Leatt) and elbow pads (Leatt).

I’m at the point, where I can see how even I could fall at anytime due to the nature of just depending on 1 wheel and electronics. foot fatigue and even elevation changes with wind make it more challenging for me at least. Respect the wind and the beeps lol.  

I checked out a local motorcycle store and I’m eyeing getting first and foremost a helmet, pants and a jacket. That way I have some peace of mind that “when” I fall, I will have some protection that should lessen the damage.

I wish that I could ride naked as in without gear. I see why people in a way do it especially if you are going slowly and riding with sense.  I pretty much learned without gear and it wasn’t so difficult. I just know at least for me there will be the unforeseen circumstances where I will need it. Maybe that is age talking lol.  

I sure do love riding.  I didn’t dream I would enjoy it this much.  I read plenty of posted and watched plenty of videos or people hinting at it, but I didn’t think it would be me. Honestly when I got the Sherman I was a little intimidated by it.  I was thinking for a brief moment, maybe I shouldn’t have gotten this thing for fear of injuring myself. It’s NOT a toy, but it’s FUN. Even now after only a pithy 50km under my noob belt it still commands my respect and when I don’t mount it just right or it wobbles it intimidates me. 

45 minutes ago, syirrus said:

Man, you sound like me. I’m analyzing every situation I confronted with; when I’m rolling. I even turn the machine off when I need to go up a curb or need to transverse something sketchy. Today I rode about 15km around the parking lot, inside a warehouse building just practicing. I practice slow turns and tight turns as I ride.  I have my speed alarm set to 20kph and tilt back at at 24kph. Typically I ride between 12kph - 16kph. I figure if I cannot control it well at those speeds I have no business going faster. Having said that, I’ve experienced the till back maybe two times once on purpose. I kinda like the sensation of the tilt back lol. Anyway I’m rolling without a helmet, but I have wrist guards and knee pads (Leatt) and elbow pads (Leatt).

I’m at the point, where I can see how even I could fall at anytime due to the nature of just depending on 1 wheel and electronics. foot fatigue and even elevation changes with wind make it more challenging for me at least. Respect the wind and the beeps lol.  

I checked out a local motorcycle store and I’m eyeing getting first and foremost a helmet, pants and a jacket. That way I have some peace of mind that “when” I fall, I will have some protection that should lessen the damage.

I wish that I could ride naked as in without gear. I see why people in a way do it especially if you are going slowly and riding with sense.  I pretty much learned without gear and it wasn’t so difficult. I just know at least for me there will be the unforeseen circumstances where I will need it. Maybe that is age talking lol.  

I sure do love riding.  I didn’t dream I would enjoy it this much.  I read plenty of posted and watched plenty of videos or people hinting at it, but I didn’t think it would be me. Honestly when I got the Sherman I was a little intimidated by it.  I was thinking for a brief moment, maybe I shouldn’t have gotten this thing for fear of injuring myself. It’s NOT a toy, but it’s FUN. Even now after only a pithy 50km under my noob belt it still commands my respect and when I don’t mount it just right or it wobbles it intimidates me. 

Same, i got only 140km under belt. :D I ride ~25kph normally. Time to time i get beeps at 35kph (My speed alarm..) I have set tilt back at 45kph (So i never have to notice it..)

I don't "practice" anymore, i simply ride it? Leaning at corners are kinda scary still.. As it feels like you would simply slip in the corner, but it doesn't happen. Still bogles my mind. :w00t2:

Already can do "pendulum" Now i'm trying to ride backwards. xD

To me euc is the same as bike more or less.. Getting from point A to B. Nothing special. Yeah wobbles at 35kph speed are scary, wont lie.. But i can manage them. Slowly braking till wobbles stop and speed up again.. Or if i don't want to "break" i have noticed if you "Pull UP" your whole body as if you where reaching up.. The wobble also stops. But that works for me. Also more and more you ride = less wobbles. As you still "learning" even if you think you are not.

Oh wobbles also happen if your "tire" isn't centered. (Try free spin in your arms by lifting the euc..) If it shakes a lot = wobbles at speed. Also to much air pressure in tire, means it feels like you are riding on "knife edge" Lowering air pressure fixed that for me. 5 psi makes big difference.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...