Did 5 Sherman’s really die at overheat hill? Yikes!

RagingGrandpa

31 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

The bonus day (day 8) at Overheat Hill was a wheel-pocalypse! One wheel went off a cliff, and 6 other wheels were incapacitated (4 Shermans, a 16x and a Nikola). The crazy part is that we never even made it to Overheat Hill itself!

6 wheels died before overheat hill? Too much gear? Alternative path? Sponsors must be happy! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, div said:

Sounds disrespectful toward gear and ressources to go on at such a rate. Rich frat bros?

There is a young man on YouTube that buys trucks that I would love to have, ( fully restored 4x4 1978 Ford, almost new Chevy trucks) and absolutely destroys them for YouTube views. Nothing left to salvage. It makes me sick. I can’t watch it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

There is a young man on YouTube that buys trucks that I would love to have, ( fully restored 4x4 1978 Ford, almost new Chevy trucks) and absolutely destroys them for YouTube views. Nothing left to salvage. It makes me sick. I can’t watch it. 

Name?

people will watch anything.

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

What I read had 4 die before they got to overheat hill itself. And a 16X and a Nik. Kinda spendy afternoon overall.

Let’s hope Uber was available, or there was a sag wagon.

let’s hope it was just control boards for everyone. 

There was a simple modification to change the fuse connected to the battery from 50amps to 30. Ewheels sent out fuses to those who requested them.  I’m curious how many made this change and if it would have made a difference?

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Did 5 Sherman’s really die at overheat hill? Yikes!
1 minute ago, Mrd777 said:

It would be great to find out the grade, temp, speed and distance on that hill that wiped out the Sherm’s. Maybe someone can share their data. 

Agree! I'm interested in any related wheel log.

Purpose: create an algorithm for app alarms  tuned for Sherman.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Arbolest said:

Actually the reason was something none of us expected!

Thanks for surviving to tell us this epic story! :o:D

Do you think that all the wheel died because their wheel seized? I'm surprised about the 16X especially since no (good) knobby is supposed to be available in this size.

6 hours ago, supercurio said:

Do you think that all the wheel died because their wheel seized? I'm surprised about the 16X especially since no (good) knobby is supposed to be available in this size.

As far as I can tell, yes, all of the wheels were incapacitated in some way due to them seizing from mud. Luckily, I've heard that at least one of the Shermans we thought blew a board actually survived the ordeal and will still turn on now that the owner has cleared most of the mud from the wheel well! I know for a fact this is not the case for all of them though... I've seen pictures of the internal carnage...

• Like 1

I just wrote E-Wheels.

On 10/25/2021 at 4:20 PM, Mrd777 said:

There was a simple modification to change the fuse connected to the battery from 50amps to 30. Ewheels sent out fuses to those who requested them.  I’m curious how many made this change and if it would have made a difference?

On 10/25/2021 at 1:20 PM, Mrd777 said:

Just speaking based on my own assumptions here, but I'm going to say that no, the fuse change wouldn't have helped in this case. As far as I can tell, the fuses are there to keep a potential short from damaging the battery packs and/or causing a fire. They're not going to protect the board from blowing itself as it's perfectly possible for 30+30=60 amps to blow a board if it's put in a bad situation, such as the wheel seizing and all of the current getting dumped into a single motor phase for a solid couple seconds.

Edited by Arbolest
spelling
  • Like 3

I'm surprised this didn't happen much before.

We had a similar story where my V11 also got totally stuck from the mud with a knobby on, I realized it in time and turned it off to avoid blowing anything. Had to carry it for a few kilometers, where I could finally get rid of the mud using a well.