EUC for a tween?

Just asking for advice. Got a fairly small 12 yr old boy who has hit the limits of a Ninebot One S2. It was my starting wheel before moving to a 16X. He can ride the 16X, but prefers the agility of the 14 inch wheel. It's just that the 21km/h practical limit is too slow on long straight wide paths.

I don't want a wheel that will go 50km/h, but just a bit faster wouldn't hurt, maybe 25-30km/hr, but limited with software. I personally think a lighter 16-inch wheel would be better than another 14-inch wheel. We can't go too heavy as he already struggles to lift the One S2.

So, I'm thinking, something like a KingSong 16S, but that's an older wheel. Most of the newer wheels are fast & heavy. InMotion V8f? Seems a little slow & range is limited (we did a 34km ride yesterday). Or should I consider a 14 inch MCM5? Or something else?

Thanks for any advice.

Will he ever use it unsupervised?

The issues that come are:

• It gets wet and the kid doesn't confess about it (future battery fire risk)

• Riding in roads with cars

Those risks aside, how about 84V MTen3? Safe at 34kph, and fun for dad too :)

• Like 1

I'd prefer the MCM5, as (in my opinion) the 16S is too slow for its size. The MCM5 is a little faster, but the smaller tire will make the riding a little slower automatically (or make riding at a speed feel faster). Seems like a better match.

Or even a Tesla?

Ask your son which wheel he would prefer!

If it wasn't for the weight/size, a V10 or 10F might also be a neat option. Also consider the V8S (same as V8F but a notably bigger battery - not sure when it will be out though).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

you really can't go wrong with a KS16S

I'm happy with my 16X, hence my thinking for a 16S. Thanks for that opinion.

20 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Will he ever use it unsupervised?

Not in the foreseeable future. These things are still technically illegal. And the proposed laws for "who-knows-when" state the minimum age at 16 years old. He needs someone to be able to sweet talk his way out of potential trouble. So there'll be no riding among cars & he's reliable enough to tell me about getting wet.

21 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

MTen3

10-inch wheel. Stability associated with that over bumps makes me very nervous.

14 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The MCM5 is a little faster, but the smaller tire will make the riding a little slower automatically (or make riding at a speed feel faster).

He's on a 14-inch tyre now. Interesting idea, that a smaller tyre feels faster. I wonder whether that's one way to limit him automatically.

15 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Tesla

Too heavy for him to pick up. He can ride my 16X, but can't take it up curbs, gutters, stairs, etc.

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Ask your son which wheel he would prefer!

Yes, but as parents know, the trick is to present something in a choice that feels like a real choice, but isn't really a real choice. A magician's force. Or a nudge, if you like.

• Like 1

MTen3 can haul the mail over some really rough crap with the right riding style... especially for a featherweight rider.

Also bear in mind: all Gotways include app-based configuration of the tiltback speed, as well as user-enabled speed alarms at the (non-adjustable) speeds of ~25kph and ~35kph. Tiltback is subtle and the kid might just ignore it; the beeps are annoying and do get your attention.

Maybe I'm just selfish - but do you have any interest in any particular 14 inch or 16 inch wheel?  I love my son to tears (same age, though mine has shown less interest in riding - but I can imagine if he did), but I don't think I'd be buying him a new EUC quite yet (particularly based too much on size considerations as growth spurts seem to be triggered by investments, at least in my family).

I'd be much more likely to look into a new wheel that I'm interested in having, since he can ride the 16x that would then be "free".  Possibly even a wheel that could be then passed down again if he outgrows the 16x a bit down the road.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dear lord people need to stop recommending the mten3. It promotes bad mounting/dismounting habits for newer riders, and is completely inferior if not inadequate as a commuter or bicycle-class device on real streets in comparison to any of the named alternatives. (Tiny 10" hoverboard tire? No proper trolley handle except one you strap to the outside with zip ties! [yes, really] Otherwise you have to carry it like a Onewheel? C'mon now....) Any of the 16S, V8F, or MCM5 are all far superior options each with their unique strengths but you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

How about the KingSong 14D (or 14S for more range)? 30 km/h max, so safe up to 25, pretty light at 30/34 lbs, excellent trolley handle, very water resistant. 

They're really fun to use, even after a ride on my Sherman. Perfect commuter for smaller distances (i. e. going to the store). 

Have him learn on the 16x.

Weight... there a kid around here that is easily able to handle an RS—and the kid out weighs the wheel by all of 5 lbs. Sure, you might have to help lift the wheel into the car etc., but there's no reason he couldn't learn on the 16x. Unless of course you don't want to share, and I totally get that!

If he tries it out for a while and really doesn't want to move to the 16", I hear great things about the MCM5... so many that I would have gotten one for goofing around if I hadn't stumbled on a deal for a 67V MTen.

• Like 2

Little kids ride and wear stuff that is bigger than they currently are. Or at least in my circle of friends that didnt have rich parents. Dont buy for today, as a kid is only today's size...today. Pawn the 16x off on him and get another for yourself. Make him a smooth deal on it too. No need to get rich off him, but you should have free lawn service and trash duty for many years, off it :)

While the MCM5 V2 (with it’s more stable 2.5” tire) might technically be a better choice right now, I agree with others on pushing him for the 16X. I wouldn’t trust a GW/BG on a teenager, the top speed tilt-back is far too easy to remove with any of the free apps, and doing such thing to go a bit faster is exactly what a teen will quite probably do, without being able to consider all related consequences. After all there are many full grown adults who have crashed their GW at top speed because they didn’t realize that you could simply ride the wheel beyond it’s capabilities.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. He can ride the KS16X just fine; he just doesn’t like it as he wants something more nimble.

I ended up taking the shortlist of V8F & KS16S to the guy I get these from & he recommended the cheaper V8F based on his own son’s experience (about the same age & weight as my kid). My son was happy with that decision & we bought the V8F. Can’t really fault it! He loves it, it goes plenty fast enough for him (& me!) & he can do solid paths/roads & light off-road trails with it, which is all he really wants to do.

We spent the next day building a stand out of PVC pipes (based on my previous design for the KS16X), which was a great consolidation of what he had been learning at school in his design & tech classes – all the way from identifying a need, to design, etc, to building and troubleshooting, and design improvements for future versions. All up a good purchase for education purposes, and that’s how it’s been justified to my  wife!

• Like 3