In terms of range how much different would it be comparing riding at max speed and casual speed?

Usually my wheel the 16x would last me for a whole day without any concern. :)

This morning though I decided that I was going to take a trip to the countryside of the town. :efefae4566:

For some reason I was reaching the max speed really often but it doesn't even feel like I was going that fast at all. :efee78d764:

It just keeps happening! :efeee20b79:

Within 2 hours of riding I checked my phone, I've ridden for about 50km already, and then I checked the battery. 📲

I was kinda shock as the battery said my wheel only has 40% battery left. :blink1:

I ride a little bit more and within half an hour the battery got as low as 25% :o

at this point I wasn't so sure because this time I didn't push it that hard at all. <_<

Finally I ended my trip within 3 hours of riding. Hell it was a short trip. :facepalm:

For real though It doesn't even feel like I was going that fast at all. I thought I was going at 30 but the wheel said I was at 47 already. 

And the battery, it drops way too quick , quicker than any other day that I ride. 

What's happening here? Could it be any problem with the wheel or am I just getting use to the speed?

Should I get it to check? 

And If incase I was getting use to the speed then in terms of range how much different do you find comparing riding at max speed and casual speed? 

• Like 1

All of the above is true. Also - If I push the wheel hard enough in a short time the batteries will sag. I can get the S18 batteries to go from 100% to 50% in a half hour. If I let the wheel sit for half an hour the batteries will settle back at about 75%. 

• Like 3

I think it happens to most of us. We go faster, our legs get stronger, we deplete batteries quickly. I was also shocked at how easily I can chomp the battery on my 18L nowadays. Heck, my little butt can seasily sag the sherm down to 50%  in 30-45mins. Tis the nature of the beast. I foresee you needing to go WAY bigger than you had assumed, to keep up with your developement.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I really like @WI_Hedgehog's answer. Another aspect is that wind resistance (which is most of the effort our wheels are fighting against) increases as a square to a double in speed. In other words, double your speed and you have four times the air resistance. Triple your speed and air resistance increases by a factor of nine! When I'm going for a long ride, I take it super easy up the hills, hold a consistent, relatively easy pace, and don't fight the wind too much. It can be easy to get some energy back while descending, but it's easier still to use lots of energy downhill by going fast and fighting the wind too hard. My long rides are pretty sedate; if I want to do a fast ride, I know it'll be much shorter.

• Like 1

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love got ~20km on his 1020Wh Tesla going full speed (~50kph), where at ~30kph usually that battery size is good for ~50 km. So 40% of the "slow" speed range by going 66%/20kph faster!

I used to get 60-65km on my ACM when I had the 30kph speed beeps. Upping to 35kph speed beeps and going slightly faster made it more like a 50-55km wheel.

Speed eats battery like crazy. Wind resistance grows fast with speed, and that is the problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I ran into an article about how much power it takes to push a bicycle down the road where they did the physics and my takeaway was that if you double your speed, it takes 8x the power to maintain.

Wind resistance. Back when I was playing with recumbent  bicycles I was amazed at the speed that I could maintain and how much less effort it took to stay at higher speeds. 

Here is an old video of a very strange bicycle that I made. It bends in the middle. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

All the above is true. Something I didn't hear anyone say though is that the more comfortable you get at riding, the faster you'll just naturally go I think.