Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

54 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

what i really liked on this video was the balance demonstration. That’s something i kind of didn’t really think about much. I know it makes a massive difference to my motorbikes. 

To me that balance point seems like one of the first things that should be considered, when designing a wheel which focuses so much on balance.

Thinking about today felt like just another thing on the KS list that feels poorly implemented. 

Perhaps it will work for some people but only some time on it will tell. 

I wonder if changing out the shock to an air shock would help. The coil spring shock for the S18 weighs a lot more than the air shock.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I think cleaning out the grease, coating the channels with PTFE is a good start and easy to do.

Yes, it would be a good start. Unfortunately powdered PTFE doesn't stay very well on vertical surfaces. You need to add it very often. A better way is to impregnate anti-friction component into the slider material.

Going a step further and replacing those rectangular bits that are attached to the supports with a more appropriate material (perhaps POM, Delrin, or UHMW as discussed in many previous posts) will be another easy, affordable, and effective upgrade.

This certainly needs to be done. By the way POM and Delrin are same stuff. Delrin is just a brand name for POM material.

These upgraded pieces could even be shaped to scrape the dirt and debris from the inner channel walls and eject it out of the channels with each bump.

This is not so easily done, especially when the wheel keeps throwing more dirt into the groove. There should be a inner fender protecting the grooves. This is were the major overhaul starts.

• Upvote 2

One strength of the S22 over the Master is the adjustable pedal height.

While I'm pretty confident the Master is the superior wheel overall, it's entirely possible that a lot of upcoming Master owners don't really like the ultra-high pedal height of the Master.

This high pedal height becomes a problem in stop and go urban riding, where the rider has to dismount and then mount over and over.

I'm sure it's a skill that can be ... mastered, but it definitely greatly complicates street crossings, especially when you only have a limited window before a speeding car approaches. If you don't stick the vertical foot motion and the foot landing and the acceleration before you lose balance, you could be fender food in certain situations.

Anyway like I said I'm sure it's a skill that can be mastered, and I think the key is using your off knee to support the wheel, and to push forward aggressively so that you have good forward momentum before lifting up your foot onto the pedal.

If I was doing food deliveries or something in a big city center, I might prefer using the S22 on the lowest pedal height over the Master. While lowering the pedals on the S22 maybe/probably negates some of the suspension travel, all that suspension travel isn't even necessary in urban environments.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Esash said:

One strength of the S22 over the Master is the adjustable pedal height.

The actual pedal adjustment range is rather limited. However, one can reduce the suspension travel by quite a bit, which in turn will lower the pedal height by the same proportionate amount. The catch is that if you want to reduce pedal height by a significant amount, then you would have to sacrifice suspension travel. 

Without the 130 mm of suspension travel, the S20/22 loses a lot of its luster, though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, techyiam said:

Jimmy Chang has shown in his review video of the S20/22, the effects of compression damping with the rebound damping setting left at the lowest setting (quickest rebound). In Adams video, it is possible that the rebound damping is set too high (over damped), and/or stiction has gotten too high too.

My vote is for stiction. The S20/22 demo wheel I tried was practically seized. I'd love to try one when it's running smooth, but that demo left me much less convinced of the slider design. But hey, maybe regular flushing and re-lubing could keep it really good. I presume no maintenance was done on the sliders of that demo unit.

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Shame that the master is looking to be the more capable wheel. I was getting to the point where I was comfortable to get the S22 as my S18 upgrade even with its flaws through the rounds of demo units and testing and validation. Going to be several more months before enough master's have been in enough hands for long enough for me to have confidence it its reliability to buy one myself, even though the new wheel itch is real.

Of course I know what I can do with the S18, and an S18 with more power and range sounds fantastic, and I trust kingsong to deliver a better quality and more robust product than begode, even though the Master may be more powerful, I don't need 100% of what it's offering. So I go back and forth again.

Edited by chanman

One interesting thing I have noticed after having watched most every KS review vid available. I have seen zero mentions or actual footage of any dirt or debris which "clogged" lor locked up the suspension. 

I don't know if that is a real concern. It sounds like it could be, but it hasn't shown to be the case. 

As for Wrong Way's display of suspension response. That's just silly. You can click the dials on rebound and compression settings to get it to bounce around like that. I can exactly the same, either tighter or looser on my S18. 

A question I have is Begode has C38 and C-whatever motors in the wheels. And generally we know what to expect for power capability. I am interested in what specs and type of construction KS motors are. Are they the same? Different windings, magnets? How do they compare mechanically? 

19 minutes ago, NErider said:

I am interested in what specs and type of construction KS motors are. Are they the same? Different windings, magnets? How do they compare mechanically?

I'll have to watch it again, but I recall that Ecodrift's S20/22 teardown measured the motor magnet width at 30mm, which is the same width BG uses in their "C30" motor (the Master has the C38 motor, its magnets are 38 mm wide and it is BG's "high torque" configuration). Beyond that, I don't recall anyone counting windings or anything like that. To my knowledge, nobody has published measurements of the magnetic permeability of the winding cores or paid much attention to the spacing between the rotor and stators or the flux density of the permanent magnets. They're both "hollow bore" designs, but that as more to do with load bearing and the ability to get thick wires into the motor housing.

We've been pretty happy with using the motor rating to infer that one wheel is more powerful than another, even though motor rating isn't a particularly precise indicator of how much thrust it'll produce at the tire/ground interface. Bigger numbers are automatically better, right? Works for computers. And cell phones. And so on and so on.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I'll have to watch it again, but I recall that Ecodrift's S20/22 teardown measured the motor magnet width at 30mm, which is the same width BG uses in their "C30" motor (the Master has the C38 motor, its magnets are 38 mm wide and it is BG's "high torque" configuration). Beyond that, I don't recall anyone counting windings or anything like that. To my knowledge, nobody has published measurements of the magnetic permeability of the winding cores or paid much attention to the spacing between the rotor and stators or the flux density of the permanent magnets. They're both "hollow bore" designs, but that as more to do with load bearing and the ability to get thick wires into the motor housing.

We've been pretty happy with using the motor rating to infer that one wheel is more powerful than another, even though motor rating isn't a particularly precise indicator of how much thrust it'll produce at the tire/ground interface. Bigger numbers are automatically better, right? Works for computers. And cell phones. And so on and so on.

Very good info thanks! Makes sense. Bigger magnets, bigger surface area to make power. I didn't know the C-Number matched magent sized. I just assumed it was a model number of some sort. 

I see a few have chimed in, so responding broadly - Not sure why I have to keep repeating the same thing in each post but here goes - It is widely accepted that S22 have the best suspension thus far, not sure why I have to defend this on a S22 thread, we have seen demo days from evees, hsiang, rev rides and e-rides where there are multiple feedback from several (plural) users and less than 10% said anything negative about the suspension. A rider can tell within 5 mins of riding any wheel if it's the best suspension that rider have experienced. Even Tishawn in eVx video went down stairs for the first time and many others have echoed the same.

On the other spectrum we have a singular opinion sprinkled across YouTube. etc through a few riders where some have brand loyalty and others may have a history of being biased towards Kingsong. I guess we can use Wrong way as an example (although the sliders observation was valid but as others have stated can be fixed via DIY). I'm not buying that the V11 can go where the S22 cannot.

Now do the S22 have faults? - Yes - no one is denying that - not enough Tourqe for some, plastic materials and the ever fluctuating firmware tweaks to balance safety and performance, pads and pedal positions etc.

In a perfect world we would just buy both wheels until the God wheel arrives with solid state batteries. Until then a smart choice must drive your decision, everyone have different parameters so this is not one size (opinion) fits all.

So for me I just ask myself a few questions - assuming Kingsong put out the best suspension wheels - what is the likelihood the next generation suspension is shipped by spring 2024? Very Low

- assuming Begode have the best torque wheels - what is the likelihood they release an updated  HT Master within 6 months or release the Admiral to challenge the V13 by the end of the year? Very high

So if there are others like me that value both torque and suspension equally, I say getting the best suspension now with not the best torque is smarter as the torque maybe improved by batteries/firmware although may not reach the level of the Master, however you can buy a more refined Master next year with more torque that may get closer to the S22 suspension.  And then one will have both wheels - the S22 and a better torque Master  the best of both worlds or your God wheel split in two.

Alternatively to me, buying the Master now when a better HT Master is around the corner is not worth it unless I value torque more than suspension which a lot of users  do so they are making the right decision. 

Edited by Driftcycle
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

air shocks with not enough air and practically 80% sag

I was guilty of this until recently on the S18. I blame it on being very difficult to actually get enough air in the damn thing at like 220 psi with the pump they give you.

• Like 1