it's got to be about the soles, more than the shoes...

I'm driving myself nuts!  First I got a pair of expensive motorcycle boots to protect my ankles. Good, they did on those initial days where the pedals hit me every 2 minutes.

But then I got another good ankle protection and the boots felt clumsy and quite uncomfortable after 20 minutes of riding. So, and using my new ankle protection, I picked up my old, low profile, summer tennis shoes and comfort arrived...but also did the frozen feet, even with two pairs of padded socks. 20 minutes into riding and I only felt my heels....

So I went to look for warmer boots. (like mountain hiking boots) The problem is that most are heavy and have huge and high rubber soles that look like Caterpillar machine tires. These don't add anything to my confidence in mounting easy on the pedals with all that sole thickness, feeling comfortable and mainly not feeling like I'm carrying two cement heavy blocks on my feet

Here is my bug: Nice light boots with linear and simple soles seem to be the perfect choice for me when it comes to weight and adherence, but I can only find summer ones, That won't warm up my feet on colder days...

I like basketball boots and some are quite thick and warm, and they are light.  But will their soles be adequate for adherence on to the EUC pedals?

I really can't have a heavy. thick sole (mountain hiking type) or stiff and uncomfortable motorcycle sole to stand on an EUC for an hour in cold weather at my age. At 61, feet tend to go cold real fast.

To the more experienced, what would be the best compromise between, sticky soles, lightweight, comfort/flexibility and warmth?

I hope my three usual Master Yodas pitch in too....yeah @ShanesPlanet, @Tawpie and @UniMe...I'm talking about you, you've been my major lifesavers here...:clap3:

Thanks in advance for any input, advice and so forth... I feel like I'm the sole person with this sole predicament

• Like 2

Boy oh boy do we have you fooled (about those other people I mean). I wear Merrill hiking boots, they have fairly thick soles but aren't terribly heavy. Mostly for me they're waterproof!

You have lots of options though:

• neoprene toe warmers (cheap)
  • heated insoles(a bit more expensive)
  • heated socks (can get oddly expensive)
  • something that makes your trainers more wind resistant and/or waterproof (I'm thinking a coating here, I know they have stuff for leather but don't know how it'd work on canvas type materials)

Other than that I'd make sure your footwear isn't too tight, and try to keep your feet moving around a little. Standing in one spot for a long time keeps the blood from getting around in your feet, so shifting your stance ever so carefully, raising your heel when you carve (the outside heel), putting more weight on the inside edge of your foot then more on the outside edge, and even getting off the wheel and walking around to take pictures every now and again—all that helps with circulation and circulation brings warmth. Anything to get the blood back down there. I do all of that to avoid both the cold and sore or numb feet. Although I must admit the Merrills keep my feet warm, I think it's largely due to having no wind getting in through the toes.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

If you go with heated gear, one day I want to see a picture of your kit when you have everything on the chargers. I charge my wheel, my hat (lights 2 places), my coat (lights 2 places), my wrist guards (1 flashlight, 1 pebble watch) and phones (1 EUCWorld, 1 with a SIM card).

I should start a thread!

• Like 1

I got no help, I live in the warmer part of the usa. I JUST went and bought some shoes and was floored to realize that when k-mart closed, my $20 shoe source dried up. This last pair was over $100 and are basically watersocks. Altra brand, very minmal but funky big toe box. I look like a duck when I wear them. I always wear light as can be tennis shoes on my euc. Not much help for your needs. I have work boots (leather), but man do those feel clunky to ride in.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

To the more experienced, what would be the best compromise between, sticky soles, lightweight, comfort/flexibility and warmth?

I've landed on patrol boots as my go to EUC footware.  there is a ton of options, from mesh/synthetic, to protected toe/goretex.   I really like the support and protection up the ankle, as it seems to help foot fatigue.   I like the side zip for EZ on and off too.  I'll post an example below that basically checks all the boxes, but I recommend shopping around:  https://www.amazon.com/BELLEVILLE-MiniMil-Minimalist-Boot-Color/dp/B00ADV9RS2/ref=pd_sim_5?pd_rd_w=4eHXV&pf_rd_p=ebeb67e6-7791-4c7b-b192-b6f9e73299d2&pf_rd_r=16Z626YTXAQ1QKWWPFAK&pd_rd_r=6e97ac91-e0df-4f7c-9654-5ed343be9cda&pd_rd_wg=aruec&pd_rd_i=B083JJW1N3&psc=1

• Like 3

I agree that little or no heel drop is a good feature, I really do not like using my hiking boots which have a raised heel. I find heel connection to the wheel helpful for control.

I have always thought these 'zero drop' hiking boots might work well on the EUC https://www.vivobarefoot.com/rw/tracker-ii-fg-mens I have a few pairs of vivobarefoot shoes, super comfortable and surprisingly durable for such a light and minimal looking shoe. my wife has these hiking boots and loves them, we do a lot of rugged-ish west coast terrain hikes and walks in them (shorter, 1-3 hour outings). For a longer, full day hike a more robust boot is probably still better.

I have a close to zero drop pair of 'approach shoes' (a hiking shoe made for the moderate incline before a person puts on their harness and grabs a rope). Different manufacture, they have a sticky sole, lace right down to the toe and are fantastic, discontinued and no ankle protection though. I have worn shoes for most of my rides from the beginning, never any ankle issues and I'm actually still nursing a significant sprain in one ankle from a couple years ago.

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

Two of my most comfortable riding shoes are wide and flat. Any shoes made for hiking or running tend to hurt in long rides. The shoes just need to be good for standing and have a lot of room in them. And the roomiest are also warmest as long as they are wind proof. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tawpie said:

You have lots of options though:

• neoprene toe warmers (cheap)

Are these like the neoprene socks that scuba divers and surfers use? I've been thinking about this solution....

• heated insoles(a bit more expensive)
  • heated socks (can get oddly expensive)

I'm trying to avoid heated stuff for two reasons:

1) my weather is nothing like the colder weathers I see on some EUC videos.

2) my living room at night already looks like a year round Christmas Tree with all the gadgets I have, including two EUC's parked in a corner. It's just too much stuff to remember when It comes to warming socks before a ride. And the electricity bill is already sky high :D

Other than that I'd make sure your footwear isn't too tight.

This is another thing I've been thinking about a lot. Usually I'm a EU 44 or 44&1/2 (US 10 and 10&1/2). Do you know if buying a size a bit bigger so that the foot moves around inside more will be OK  or make it a bit more clumsy to mount and ride?

If you go with heated gear, one day I want to see a picture of your kit when you have everything on the chargers. I charge my wheel, my hat (lights 2 places), my coat (lights 2 places), my wrist guards (1 flashlight, 1 pebble watch) and phones (1 EUCWorld, 1 with a SIM card).

I should start a thread!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D ...you definitely should star a thread...around Christmas time. You'd be known as "The Fastest Christmas Tree on the block" my friend!!!

4 hours ago, Ben Hatfield said:

I've landed on patrol boots as my go to EUC footware.  there is a ton of options, from mesh/synthetic, to protected toe/goretex.   I really like the support and protection up the ankle, as it seems to help foot fatigue.   I like the side zip for EZ on and off too.  I'll post an example below that basically checks all the boxes, but I recommend shopping around:  https://www.amazon.com/BELLEVILLE-MiniMil-Minimalist-Boot-Color/dp/B00ADV9RS2/ref=pd_sim_5?pd_rd_w=4eHXV&pf_rd_p=ebeb67e6-7791-4c7b-b192-b6f9e73299d2&pf_rd_r=16Z626YTXAQ1QKWWPFAK&pd_rd_r=6e97ac91-e0df-4f7c-9654-5ed343be9cda&pd_rd_wg=aruec&pd_rd_i=B083JJW1N3&psc=1

I'm looking at them right now. I'm also trying to see if I can find them in Europe, or they'll charge an extra 39% import tax on top of the boot price and shipping. Thnaks for the very good tip. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Two of my most comfortable riding shoes are wide and flat. Any shoes made for hiking or running tend to hurt in long rides. The shoes just need to be good for standing and have a lot of room in them. And the roomiest are also warmest as long as they are wind proof. 

I'm trying to figure out is how much bigger they should be (I'm a EU 44 or 44&1/2 - US 10 and 10&1/2) so that I get the comfort you mention and at the same time don't get too clumsy mounting and riding...

I'm trying to figure out is how much bigger they should be (I'm a EU 44 or 44&1/2 - US 10 and 10&1/2) so that I get the comfort you mention and at the same time don't get too clumsy mounting and riding...

The foot shouldn’t move much inside the shoe, but it’s not only about the size, not at all. The shoe has to be the kind that fits your foot well. It’s much more than just size. If you have a wide foot, you need a shoe with a wider last. Etc.

My shoe size is usually 46, but from some manufacturers I need to take a 44, from some a 47. Looking just at the number doesn’t tell much. Go ahead and try one size bigger to your normal size. If your foot moves inside the shoe when you twist your foot with your weight on it, it’s no good.

How specific? Is there something I should be looking for when buying the insoles?

Yes. Look for the kind that best conforms to your foot inside your shoe, while serving any personal requirements for softness, arch height, arch support firmness, etc.

Lots of trial and error has been the only possibility for me. Some people with easier feet do find theirs easier. But there is no single solution that fits all.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Lots of trial and error has been the only possibility for me. Some people with easier feet do find theirs easier. But there is no single solution that fits all.

I see your point, thanks. I'm actually thinking about when I get the right shoe/boot, I won't choose one size bigger and I'll start testing insoles until I find the right one. 

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
  • Like 1

After some time the pain to legs go away. Ankle pain is something very common for new riders, but temporary state. 

I also purchased new shoes and wanted em as grippy as possible. That will make the grit from pedals go away faster so..
Having pins on the pedals could solve your problems too. Every shoe would grip well.

To combat cold I just put extra socks and shoes that have lil space more. Works well in cold Finland where we just buy winter shoes that can fit with wool socks ;) 

And to fight cold, windproof material is game changer cause most of the cold you endure is from breeze of wind.

Edited by Tasku
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I agree, this is one of the great features of the vivobarefoot shoes -- a wide and open toe box while at the same time clamping down strong on your forefoot and ankle. for far too long manufactures made shoes with narrow and pointed toe boxes, my toes are partly misshapen from growing up wearing them. most barefoot style shoes are designed specifically to provide ergonomic fit and to give your toes enough room to splay out and to 'grab' the ground like they were evolved to do.

Edited by UniMe

My problem is that even today, when I rode 21kms. I had to stop every 5kms to relieve the heel pains I was having.

I had put on a very good pair of basketball sneakers from my son (he plays basketball) and I got a good foot temperature but terrible heel pain...Damn!!!

3 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

I had to stop every 5kms to relieve the heel pains I was having.

When I started riding I had to make stops too to relieve my muscle tension. It is very important to stop and take a break if you are feeling pain. You only need minutes to relax muscles. Sit on a chair for minute and you can ride another session. I tend to sit on my wheel now and I can ride 50 km without stopping. Say every 10km I sit on moving euc for minute. (Do not try seated riding before you got full confidence in your overall skills)

For teqnique: Let the machine lean into you one sided and switch leaning side as need be. When riding try to keep pose but keep muscles relaxed. Bending knee little bit will help you to over take bumps and obstacles. Over time and practice you can ride longer periods before need for pause.

I never felt pain in heel, have you hurt this area in anyway? Maybe the shoe was not good shape in the heel area? If your pain in heel continues longer than day or few days maybe consider doctor. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 8:36 PM, Tasku said:

When I started riding I had to make stops too to relieve my muscle tension. It is very important to stop and take a break if you are feeling pain. You only need minutes to relax muscles. Sit on a chair for minute and you can ride another session. I tend to sit on my wheel now and I can ride 50 km without stopping. Say every 10km I sit on moving euc for minute. (Do not try seated riding before you got full confidence in your overall skills)

For teqnique: Let the machine lean into you one sided and switch leaning side as need be. When riding try to keep pose but keep muscles relaxed. Bending knee little bit will help you to over take bumps and obstacles. Over time and practice you can ride longer periods before need for pause.

I never felt pain in heel, have you hurt this area in anyway? Maybe the shoe was not good shape in the heel area? If your pain in heel continues longer than day or few days maybe consider doctor. 

@Taskuthanks for the great explanation for relaxing on long rides and pain. Actually my heel pain was only today due to my testing of different tire pressures and different tennis shoes.

I'm quite OK with the calves and ankles now. 

Recently I experienced coldness on my feet due to (Portuguese) cold weather and thin summer sneakers. And at the same time I've been trying different tire pressures. I think that this experience cocktail is the main cause to my heel pain today. Also, I've been riding every day a minimum ok 17km. Today I even went 21km on the KS 16X...and then picked up the 2nd hand V11 I bought yesterday and went riding just a bit more with it. 

I really abused today. Sometimes I forget that I'm 61 and I only started EUC riding 40 days ago...😊😊😊

Edited by Paulo Mesquita

well, most days are 10c here now.... ! the euc is back by the front door :) fruit trees are starting to flower. perhaps this is cold feet weather in Portugal? Here it's a celebration lol, but the spring here is stunning... and it starts early.

Edited by UniMe

7 hours ago, UniMe said:

well, most days are 10c here now.... ! the euc is back by the front door :) fruit trees are starting to flower. perhaps this is cold feet weather in Portugal? Here it's a celebration lol, but the spring here is stunning... and it starts early.

Haha... 10ºC is totally unacceptable in Portugal. We even have a Law that forbids low temperatures, under 15ºC...😂😂😂😂😂😂

Seriously... We have low temperatures under, say 15ºC, maybe 30 days max throuout the year. And when it's that cold, the skies are beautifully clear. 

• Like 1

I would miss the cooler temperatures.... 10c is a great temperature for intense outdoor exercise. There are 'hot' places in our region, where the summer can get 40c or above for couple weeks. Not my thing... my blue eyes and fair skin just don't respond well to the super bright light and intense uv. I can see pretty well at night though lol, a helpful adaptive trait our winter months. :)

• Like 2