it's got to be about the soles, more than the shoes...

55 minutes ago, UniMe said:

I can see pretty well at night though lol, a helpful adaptive trait our winter months. :)

That is a top notch quality for an astronomer. Eye pupil dilation in the dark, is crucial to see the photons of the night sky objects, like the galaxies 30Million light years away 😁

Paulo Mesquita After learning the weather doesn't get too cold in Portgual,  I would like to visit Portugal whenever COVID is over. Are EUCs legal there? Any place to rent something like a KS16X? Are you allowed to bring on buses/trains? Rental rate? Any info would be appreciated! 

Edited by scubadragosan
  • Like 3

This is a topic near and dear to my heart!  I too am searching for the perfect fit to my seattle cold weather riding.  I can't say that I am victorious in finding the perfect cold weather solution but I feel I'm on the right path.

My favorite shoe and feel if weather was not an issue.  I love Vans high tops, you feel one with the wheel.  Winter feel:  Not good, cold.

Things I have tried.

1.  HIking boots.  Findings:  I don't like...  The raised heel and tread made me feel disconnected from the wheel at best, because of the angle, sore calves from the lean, although was warm.

2.  Heated socks.  Findings:  Not warm enough, managing more charged electrical goodies.

I just ordered a pair of Winter Vans that I hope gives me the best of all worlds.  Wheel connection feel and warm.

https://www.vans.com/shop/ultrarange-exo-hi-mte-vn:0a4uwj:26z:095:m:1:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scubadragosan said:

Paulo Mesquita After learning the weather doesn't get too cold in Portgual,  I would like to visit Portugal whenever COVID is over. Are EUCs legal there? Any place to rent something like a KS16X? Are you allowed to bring on buses/trains? Rental rate? Any info would be appreciated! 

Hi there,

I think in Lisbon there's a company that rents them, maybe even more. When you decide to come get in touch with me and I'll inquire. I know about electrical bikes and scooters to rented. Plenty. But I haven't heard of EUC's. It is legal here on main roads. There is a bit of a controversy on the special bicycle tracks, mainly in the big city. A new law came out now that only allows on these tracks electrical vehicles with such low voltage, that it excludes all electrical vehicles....heheheh...

But I only ride on roads, fully geared up, for safety. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

My favorite shoe and feel if weather was not an issue.  I love Vans high tops, you feel one with the wheel.  Winter feel:  Not good, cold.

I thought about the Vans too but from what I've been gathering in the more experienced opinions here  is that the key is to get the perfect insoles for comfort, and hopefully they'll also work well on some warm winter boot.

2 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

I just ordered a pair of Winter Vans that I hope gives me the best of all worlds.  Wheel connection feel and warm.

https://www.vans.com/shop/ultrarange-exo-hi-mte-vn:0a4uwj:26z:095:m:1:

@Rich Sam aren't the soles of these winter Vans also a bit high? ...like the hiking boots?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

I thought about the Vans too but from what I've been gathering in the more experienced opinions here  is that the key is to get the perfect insoles for comfort, and hopefully they'll also work well on some warm winter boot.

@Rich Sam aren't the soles of these winter Vans also a bit high? ...like the hiking boots?

I think the main difference is my legs did not like the angle of the raised heel, with the lower ball of the feet.

best way to illustrate is with this pick see how the raised heel is much higher than the pad of the foot

image.png.69ef1a94ba4eacccb0376b20270aa0ba.png

Check out the Vans shoes

image.png.7f461ca3920bc48182e7baf0bc2aa035.png

The angle is not nearly as steep from heel to toe

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rich Sam said:

I think the main difference is my legs did not like the angle of the raised heel, with the lower ball of the feet.

best way to illustrate is with this pick see how the raised heel is much higher than the pad of the foot

image.png.69ef1a94ba4eacccb0376b20270aa0ba.png

Check out the Vans shoes

image.png.7f461ca3920bc48182e7baf0bc2aa035.png

The angle is not nearly as steep from heel to toe

ahhhh..I see. @Rich Sam due to my calves hurting quite a bit sometimes (I discovered that the more forward are my feet on the pedals, the less they hurt) I though that the lower the heel....the more I'd have to stretch the calves muscles and therefore...more pain. I guess then the solution is to get something as flat as possible...

• Like 1

In hiking boots it felt like I was wearing high heels.  I had trouble getting used to it.  I'm sure I would get used to it eventually my calves cramped up a few times from leaning with them on.  The gap on the tread for your arches also was noticeable to me for grip.

I'm hoping the Vans shoes works out because I want warm feet!  I will definitely report back.

• Like 2

@Paulo MesquitaI got army of soles. Flat foot is my case.  If you have condition, like maybe you need special sole, example: that has gel pack in heel, that could be what you need. A doctor or shoe stores have analysis devices to help check shape of your feet for best sole solutions.

I often fit the special sole atop normal soles. Resulting me perfectly fitting shoes with the fancy sole to fit my feet.

Trick is I use bit bigger shoe size. Any shoe I want, has option to fit extra socks or place some extra soles to make it a perfect fit.

Wool socks I mentioned earlier fits easy if I just take extra soles away.

I still recommend you stop to take brake-time if you feel pain of any sort. Doctors say the same but I am not doctor, so..

I placed studs on my pedals today . :w00t2: The difference is soo good. Flip flops are not option anymore :D

Edited by Tasku
Typos are out of control!
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tasku said:

..... maybe you need special sole, example: that has gel pack in heel, that could be what you need.

@Tasku, yes, good idea, the heel is what needs the special gel  on heel insoles and I'm already starting to take care of that. 

4 minutes ago, Tasku said:

I placed studs today on my pedals. :w00t2: The difference is soo good. Flip flops are not option anymore :D

Did you get those special pedals that are grid like? and then those nail like pins are the studs? What wheel do you have?

19 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Did you get those special pedals that are grid like? and then those nail like pins are the studs? What wheel do you have?

I was thinking of getting new pedals, but I simply used motorcycle tyre studs and screw them in! Cheap, efficient, easy. Lil effort to take the pedals off and put them back on with ~20 small motorcycle wheel stud spikes. If anyone wants to follow that path, just make sure the studs you purchase has the drill piece too ;) DIY solution for 10 euros.

I have gotway MSP, the pedal is aluminium so decided to drill few studs into it after the gridtape was worn out. I feel like shoe is glued on it! Downside could be that some bottom of my shoes might wear out bit more faster. If the solution does not work or studs get off, well I still got 150 more of em to drill in or maybe I get the nylonove pedals (that are out of stock all the time, pfft!) sometime later. I could buy some rubber fixer too for shoe bottoms if damage happens. Time will tell.

Edited by Tasku
DIY price

Us V11 riders are pretty lucky there @Paulo Mesquita

typically studded hex pedals are close to 200 bucks, InMotion purchased a batch of pedals from a known manufacturer of these and offers at a really good price.  I think 120 us dollars if I'm not mistaken.

E-Wheels was out of stock last I checked, EUCO does have them in stock purchased mine, should be in today!  Here is a thread with some information on them.

• Like 1

My favourite riding shoes are boot like, and they have steel plating on toes.

Got a bruise to my toe one point. I do not even want to think what would have happened without the steel reinforcement.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tasku said:

My favourite riding shoes are boot like, and they have steel plating on toes.

Got a bruise to my toe one point. I do not even want to think what would have happened without the steel reinforcement.

I bought a pair of motorcycle boots but they are uncomfortable...

33 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

Us V11 riders are pretty lucky there @Paulo Mesquita

typically studded hex pedals are close to 200 bucks, InMotion purchased a batch of pedals from a known manufacturer of these and offers at a really good price.  I think 120 us dollars if I'm not mistaken.

E-Wheels was out of stock last I checked, EUCO does have them in stock purchased mine, should be in today!  Here is a thread with some information on them.

They have them at MyEWheels. I'll be talking to Sandra tromorrow:

Original InMotion Honeycomb pedals - MyEWheel Europe

23 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

InMotion purchased a batch of pedals from a known manufacturer of these

Just to correct this, Inmotion actually did a deal with the “known manufacturer” so that Inmotion can start making their own off-road pedals. The shape is slightly different than what the other manufacturer has ever even offered. So it’s Inmotion themselves who makes the honeycomb pedals.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Just to correct this, Inmotion actually did a deal with the “known manufacturer” so that Inmotion can start making their own off-road pedals. The shape is slightly different than what the other manufacturer has ever even offered. So it’s Inmotion themselves who makes the honeycomb pedals.

I should get mine in the mail today, stoked to try them out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

I asked MyEWheel about those pedals for the V11 and they said that since I don't ride off road I don't need them and they won't increase my foot comfort or reduce the pain. What do you guys think? 

That is pretty cool, E-Wheels turning down a sale to give you honest advice.  Love it!  I don't do much radical off roading, but I do cruise some trails, but can get mud\dirt on my shoes, which when tracked onto the pedals can render grip tape almost useless.  I dunno... I'm going for it anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

That is pretty cool, E-Wheels turning down a sale to give you honest advice.  Love it!  I don't do much radical off roading, but I do cruise some trails, but can get mud\dirt on my shoes, which when tracked onto the pedals can render grip tape almost useless.  I dunno... I'm going for it anyway.

Initially I thought that these pedals would reduce my foot fatigue and pain, but I gess it's more for off road....and thats not me at all....for now!

Well, comfort can come from many things. The honeycomb pedals are slightly longer, which might increase comfort if you have a larger shoe size. And the amount of grip one gets with the studs is definitely an increase in comfort and stability. And as @Rich Sam mentioned, mud and snow goes right through the honeycombs, making it very usable for some riders (not that snow would be an issue where you live... 😉). But they are slightly more angled sideways (11 degrees vs the original 9 degrees), which might be slightly more uncomfortable for calm riding.

@Paulo Mesquita, I’m no health care professional, but some things you said about your foot pain reminded me of a condition called plantar fascitis. Have you been checked for possibly having it as well? Since if you have it, it might call for slightly different solutions than what you’d otherwise be after.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1