Jump to content

Full battery down hill??


Recommended Posts

So, a question for the experts. I live at the top of a hill. The road from my house to the bottom of the hill is about 1 kilometre and drops about 100 meters in height. I have heard that you shouldn’t ride downhill with a fully charged battery as the wheel will try to over charge the batteries during the decent. Is this true?  What would happen.? Would it damage the wheel or cause a cutout?   The wheel is a V8f ......your thoughts would be appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The wheel would beep at you, tilt the pedals, and in the worst case (if you ignore the warnings and keep riding downhill) shut off before overcharging the battery.

Just charge to 90% or 95% or whatever instead of 100% if you start on the top of a hill.

And you can always ride back up to lose more energy than you'll get back coming down. So worst case, if it complains, you ride back up a few meters before continuing downhill.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like you I live at the top of a hill (although not as long or as steep), when I got my first wheel a couple of years ago (a V5F) I wondered the same thing and would ride 200yds or so on level ground first thinking that ought to just take a bit of charge from the battery.

A few times I forgot to do it and noticed no side effects so I just stopped altogether, I'm on my 3rd wheel now and never experienced any problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nostris said:

So, a question for the experts. I live at the top of a hill. The road from my house to the bottom of the hill is about 1 kilometre and drops about 100 meters in height. I have heard that you shouldn’t ride downhill with a fully charged battery as the wheel will try to over charge the batteries during the decent. Is this true?  What would happen.? Would it damage the wheel or cause a cutout? 

You will most likely not have an issue if you ride downhill very briefly. The wheel can cutoff if you do so for long enough distances to prevent overcharging and there is no way around it, even with a Onewheel.

You can charge to full so cell balancing can take place, then ride off some charge before your desend. Or you can charge to say 95 percent and just start your desend immediately. I'd still charge to 100 percent occasionally so you can balance the cells.

Link to post
Share on other sites

100 meters isn’t very far “down”, just go slowly and don’t brake hard. Or, after your wheel finishes the balance portion of its charge cycle, unplug the charger, turn it on, lights on, and let it sit there for a half hour or so to burn off a little bit of charge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tawpie said:

100 meters isn’t very far “down”, just go slowly and don’t brake hard. Or, after your wheel finishes the balance portion of its charge cycle, unplug the charger, turn it on, lights on, and let it sit there for a half hour or so to burn off a little bit of charge.

The road is 1000 Mts long and has a change in height of 100 meters from top to bottom….the steepest parts are probably a 20%/25% incline.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your replies, I’ll probably go with the 95% charge idea and see what happens. if it was a short distance I’d just chance it, but IMO a continuous decent for 1km is quite a time to be using regenerative braking. ..Better safe than sorry!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just start with a full battery and try and see when the wheel complains. Then ride back up a bit, and continue downwards. Then you'll now more. From then on you'll have a better idea with what battery % to start so you end up with 100% at the bottom of the hill.

Nothing bad will happen if you don't ignore any warnings. No need to be afraid. You can just try things:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nostris said:

Thanks for all your replies, I’ll probably go with the 95% charge idea and see what happens. if it was a short distance I’d just chance it, but IMO a continuous decent for 1km is quite a time to be using regenerative braking. ..Better safe than sorry!

Whats at the bottom? You could always just go faster and faster and faster and faster and ... well, you  know!:popcorn:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a very similar situation to @Nostris in the sense that i too live on a mountain with approximately 700 meters of road and it drops down about 150m from my house to the bottom of the mountain. If i charge my wheel overnight and disconnect the charging cable as i exit the house my gotway rs will start beeping and tilting back for the last 100-200 meters so my solution is just to continue to charge to 100% and before i mount the euc i lift and free spin it until i hear the 80% alarm, decelerate and mount it. Doing that will remove enough charge that i can go down the mountain at any speed doing any amount of braking.

Edited by xiiijojjo
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Popular topic this month...

 

10% grade. No concern, just ride. Respect the beeps!
 

21% grade. Howbout fully charge, then do a little pendulum practice in the driveway before descending?

We need a 'mic drop' emoticon. THIS is about as perfect an answer as one would hope to find. Aint like 2-3 minutes of pendulum aint good warmup for the muscles/reflexes anyhow... take a bow sir, and thanks for the information. Learn something new everyday!:thumbup:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...