New Firmware 1.3.5 listed

SuperSport

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, master255 said:

Sorry master255, you weren't over reacting after all !

but i definitely don't have the same noise on mine...

seems like you have a 9b1 P ? Maybe this model doesn't support the new fw ? However, you should connect to your wheel through the app and try to change some settings (calibration maybe) and see if you can have something better. Otherwide, well, contact Ninebot "black hole" support...

3 minutes ago, musk said:

The video has background noise that's as loud (if not louder than) the wheel.  Before the wheel is powered it sounds like a summer night with thousands of crickets.  Is it summer in DC? :)

At first, I thought he was talking about the cricket noise too.  But when listening very carefully, I can hear what he's speaking of.

I've just updated my Ninebot One E from 1.3.0 to 1.3.5 and the first thing I noticed in the first ten meters was the whistle. It's perfectly audible, but is not too annoying. It's a kind of a futuristic sound, but sincerely I rather not hearing it. 

In the other hand my first impressions (only 2km) is that the wheel is quite more softly, I noticed I able to ride at very low speeds easier than before, for instance when you are near a intersection or a pedestrian crossing. It's like I actually master the wheel :). Tilt back is also softly or at least "slower". 

In my opinion, 1.3.5 is a recommended update, unless you're very sensitive to noise. 

OK, I'm going to chime in again. 

Please note that I'm not calling any individual "NUTS" here.  However, in my opinion, and for myself, I think it is NUTS to upgrade Ninebot One firmware unless you are having an emergency of some kind from previous firmware at this time.  

Ninebot's business process surrounding firmware updates is definitely broken at this time.  Give management a chance to correct the obvious QC and other problems in their business process before even thinking about upgrading your firmware.   The way I know their business process is broken is that they are releasing WAY TOO MANY firmware updates back to back.  Their business process to produce this many firmware updates in so short amount of time is completely INSANE!

One indicator that they have started to fix their business process will be when they begin producing only -say- one firmware update per month OR LESS!   The pace at which they are releasing firmware updates is evidence enough that their process is broken.  Not to mention all the problems. 

I state this here because many may be reading this thread and considering updating.  Certainly do as you wish, but my experience as an IT professional tells me that what they are putting out is just wrong.   GOOD LUCK!

@dpong  I actually agree with you.  I too am out of IT, and I would never suggest to a Company that they update immediately every time an update comes out.

But for me personally, I do run updates as soon as they come out.  I'm aware of the dangers either to my equipment, or to myself, and I take that on myself.

I always install the latest updates on my Cellphones and Tablets, and even create my own Custom Firmware for those devices, even though I know it will void warranties and possibly be the cause of their demise.  That's how I am.  I do wear protection when it affects my personal safety though.

But as you say, I also do Not recommend anyone update unless they are aware of what they are doing.  Wait for more evidence that it's safe to do so is the best policy.

I think dpong has good advice, it appears Ninebot are frantically making and releasing poorly tested firmware updates.

I will stay with 1.3.0 until some issue with this version is identified.

39 minutes ago, AlanR said:

I think dpong has good advice, it appears Ninebot are frantically making and releasing poorly tested firmware updates.

I will stay with 1.3.0 until some issue with this version is identified.

@AlanR I am still running v1.2.2 and it still works perfectly fine, and I am in tune with it.  I am not missing anything, and neither are you.  Why upgrade into an unstable unreliable and downright dangerous environment is beyond me.  One day Ninebot will fix their process, or they will go out of business.   What is the rush to see which happens first?  

Thank-you AlanR for understanding.

39 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

@dpong  I actually agree with you.  I too am out of IT, and I would never suggest to a Company that they update immediately every time an update comes out.

But for me personally, I do run updates as soon as they come out.  I'm aware of the dangers either to my equipment, or to myself, and I take that on myself.

Your two statements do not connect for me.  You agree with me (that to upgrade is NUTS?) , and you would never suggest a "Company" update immediately.  (For some reason presumably).  But then for yourself you always upgrade as soon as possible.  Even though you are aware of dangers.  For what reason? 

Still you are fine and free to do as you wish.  I do not judge you for it, but I do wish to give readers, and especially new users a different perspective.  By your statements you are indeed encouraging them to upgrade as you do yourself.  I encourage them to not upgrade.  Unless there is some reason. 

But why do you do that?  I am just curious.  

2 hours ago, dpong said:

But why do you do that?  I am just curious.  

I've always been on the bleeding edge of technology.  I like getting a taste of new things before the general public. I regularly BETA test software for companies and people.  Beta tested Windows 2 through 10.  iOS 6-9, and so on.  It's what I do.

I also would never just stay with Windows 3 just because it still works fine.  If that were the case, I would have stayed with my TG F3 as it rides just fine.

I'm not encouraging others do the same as myself, but rather reporting back my findings as I go. If they decide to leap with me, then they are grown-ups and can do so.  I've also posted videos of myself skydiving and racing different vehicles, but that does not mean I'm encouraging others to do so. If they get a rush from watching and decide to do so, then that's great. 

I ride an electric unicycle because it has an element of danger and it is something that not everyone does. That's how I've always lived my life, and will continue to do so until my parachute or climbing rope, or tires fail me. 

Admittedly, it WILL suck if I die on a Unicycle...

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

I've always been on the bleeding edge of technology.  I like getting a taste of new things before the general public. I regularly BETA test software for companies and people.  Beta tested Windows 2 through 10.  iOS 6-9, and so on.  It's what I do.

I also would never just stay with Windows 3 just because it still works fine.  If that were the case, I would have stayed with my TG F3 as it rides just fine.

I'm not encouraging others do the same as myself, but rather reporting back my findings as I go. If they decide to leap with me, then they are grown-ups and can do so.  I've also posted videos of myself skydiving and racing different vehicles, but that does not mean I'm encouraging others to do so. If they get a rush from watching and decide to do so, then that's great. 

I ride an electric unicycle because it has an element of danger and it is something that not everyone does. That's how I've always lived my life, and will continue to do so until my parachute or climbing rope, or tires fail me. 

Admittedly, it WILL suck if I die on a Unicycle...

Don't follow my lead. I had a dead Ninebot waiting to be resurrected, I received a new mainboard (version  1.2.5) and battery then upgraded to firmware 1.3.5. It revived the motor for 5 seconds then burned the motor connectors. Now I have a really dead Ninebot. Full motor connectors burned on both sides and the motor and new mainboard now unusable. 1,000$ down the drain. If it will happen to your unit you will get so upset. My advise is do not attempt to upgrade if your unit is working fine or you might have a lot of mental stress. Forget about the physical stress caused by accidents. Mobile phones are easily disposable. I have 5 fully working android phones just gathering dust since I upgrade to a better one almost every year. The Ninebot is a vehicle and should not be played around with or it might cause unforeseen catastrophes. 

1 hour ago, SlowMo said:

Don't follow my lead. I had a dead Ninebot waiting to be resurrected, I received a new mainboard (version  1.2.5) and battery then upgraded to firmware 1.3.5. It revived the motor for 5 seconds then burned the motor connectors. Now I have a really dead Ninebot. Full motor connectors burned on both sides and the motor and new mainboard now unusable. 1,000$ down the drain. If it will happen to your unit you will get so upset. My advise is do not attempt to upgrade if your unit is working fine or you might have a lot of mental stress. Forget about the physical stress caused by accidents. Mobile phones are easily disposable. I have 5 fully working android phones just gathering dust since I upgrade to a better one almost every year. The Ninebot is a vehicle and should not be played around with or it might cause unforeseen catastrophes. 

Again, I'm not telling anyone to update, but don't you think it's entirely possible that the Motor or something else had something to do with the wires burning?  You mentioned the motor wires were not plugged in all the way the first time, and you plugged them in tighter.  Maybe there were other loose or even reversed connections?  With this much voltage, your connections HAVE to be good and accurate.  That can cause a LOT of heat if there is a loose connection at these Volts and Amps.  It might be possible that the Firmware Update and the overheating of the wires are unrelated and just a coincidence...  Just as it might be possible that the firmware caused it to happen, but seems odd that the motor did not respond on firmware 1.2.5, then after plugging in the motor better and updating firmware it responded, then overheated.  I would have personally thought the loose motor connection was what got it to respond, not the firmware, and that something else might have caused the overheating (Possibly the original issue that burned the First MB).

Personally, I think NineBot does have some growing to do as a company, (as do all of the EUC companies).  They do release firmware early, and they probably should NOT allow people to repair their own wheels.  Not everyone is experienced enough with Electronics, Electricity, or Mechanics to be inside these wheels.  There are Fire, Heat, Torque, Shock, and other dangers inside these.  One example would be leaving connections loose, or simply dropping a metal object against the motherboard and causing the batteries to short and start their explosive demise.  Or, get a finger in where it should not be when it accidentally powers up by touching the wrong wire.  Bye Bye Finger.

These companies DO need to be more responsible, but sometimes the blame is thrown at them before enough evidence is available.  I just don't want to see them get a bad rap IF it's not deserved and the sport gets Government Regulated out of existence.

Just my 2 cents...  ok, 5 cents...

Ok. The thing is I would have never ever tried to open the Ninebot One if it worked flawlessly and never burned in the first place. I have now 6 EUC's of different brands and all I can say is from my experience, my Generic X3 clone worth 300$ which I opened only for shunting the battery bms, is more reliable than my Ninebot One which is which is worth 1000$. Just my 2 cents. Just to tell you, I also have some small electronics knowledge gained from years of handling rc jets and tinkering with DIY Audio and connecting the motor to the mainboard is not rocket science as you think it is.

@SlowMo  I wasn't saying that you specifically had no electronics experience. I have read other posts where people admit they don't have any, but still open their wheels for repair.  That's dangerous. 

I also was not saying plugging in the motor was rocket science. I was just referring to what you said, that the motor plug was not seated all the way the first time you powered it up. 

No offense meant.

NineBot, and the others, should insist that their certified repair shops do the repairs or the warranty is void.  It would save them headaches too. But that's one of the areas they still need to improve, more service centers. 

7 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

@SlowMo  I wasn't saying that you specifically had no electronics experience. I have read other posts where people admit they don't have any, but still open their wheels for repair.  That's dangerous. 

I also was not saying plugging in the motor was rocket science. I was just referring to what you said, that the motor plug was not seated all the way the first time you powered it up. 

No offense meant.

NineBot, and the others, should insist that their certified repair shops do the repairs or the warranty is void.  It would save them headaches too. But that's one of the areas they still need to improve, more service centers. 

Yeah it must have been a bad motor from the start. I did not consider the motor dead from the 1st incident even thought the connectors have somewhat burned because I read from the experts here that if the motor is still turning freely then it would still work. For now my Ninebot One is a piece of history. I'm still blessed since I prevented it from burning the house down.

3 hours ago, SlowMo said:

I did not consider the motor dead from the 1st incident even thought the connectors have somewhat burned because I read from the experts here that if the motor is still turning freely then it would still work. For now my Ninebot One is a piece of history. I'm still blessed since I prevented it from burning the house down.

Just because the motor is turning without resistance does not mean it's ok. For example, non-powered, a broken coil probably doesn't cause any symptoms as far as I know. The only thing to suspect from the "resistance" of turning the wheel when plugged into the mainboard without power is that there's a short between coils (probably caused by a burned mosfet), but even if there's no resistance, it could still have a burned mosfet (it just failed in a way that the connection is open, not shorted). At least that's what I think... So if there's resistance, the bridges in the mainboard are likely broken, but regardless whether it turns freely or not, it doesn't exclude the possibility that there's something wrong with the motor (too).

@SlowMo You mentioned shunting your Generic X3 clone battery BMS.

After my generic [Dragonmen Hotwheels] face-planted me a few times and with little support from the manufacturers I tried shunting my EUC BMS using information from a member on this forum - see the photo.

Unfortunately, it didn't work; perhaps my soldering wasn't up to scratch or the shunt is incorrect!!?

Interested on any comment you may have on this!

BMS shunt.jpg

Archived