New Firmware 1.3.5 listed

SuperSport

I updated to 1.3.5 (from 1.3.0)  and rode for 45 minutes in different situations. Nothing special. Hardly noticeable changes. Perhaps less motor vibrations. I am a quiet rider, so I can't say how is this firmware when pushing the 9B1 to its limits.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from a 5.34 Mile ride.  It was a blustery 35 degrees Fahrenheit.  Average Speed was 9.4 MPH and max speed was 14.5 MPH.  I climbed 350 ft total and came back down the same.  Battery used was 24%, leaving me with 76%.

Again, I have to say that the motor seems to run Smoother.  Inputs feel more precise.  I believe these motors run from pulses of electricity and you time the pulses to make it run faster or slower, forward or reverse.  I believe when they said that 1.3.5 would  "Optimize the algorithm of motor, improve the ridding experience", I believe they re-programmed the pulses to hit smoother.  In essence, timing them better than they were.

This is only a guess on my part, but that's how it feels.  I don't know if that will translate into a longer or shorter ride distance, or stronger hill climbs, but my ride today was very enjoyable, and I have plenty of battery left to go a couple more times if I want.  But, at 35 degrees, I think I'll wait.  My hands and face didn't enjoy it very much as I was not dressed properly. :ph34r:

I was supposed to have video of this ride with my new Action Cam, but I'm not sure if I'll end up with any usable footage.  I think I messed up the recording... :(

PS:  It didn't catch fire!!!  WooHoo!!!

SuperSport that is very good news. Several days I'm hesitant to upgrade to 1.3.5, and I do not want to risk and your experience makes me relieved. Anyway to see if anyone else is encouraged and I just convinced.

A question, you use the app on android or ios?

I'm using iOS.  Please do not upgrade just because mine has gone well so far.  If you are worried, wait until a few more success stories come in.  Allow others to be the guinea pigs. ;)

I personally would survive if my board were to fry.  Not that I'd be happy about it, but I do not use it for commuting to work, and I also have my TG F3 as a backup if needed, so that would give me time to deal with the Support Black Hole at NineBot.

thank you. I'll wait a few more days to other forum users. I have suffered enough waiting almost 1 month to receive my replacement board and think it will be best not to risk going through the same thing again.

I am grateful for your comments, and I also use ios.

6 minutes ago, Sergio Leiva said:

I have suffered enough waiting almost 1 month to receive my replacement board and think it will be best not to risk going through the same thing again.

Good thinking. 

I just upgraded and did a bit of low speed test ride. The ride characteristics seems to be noticeably different. For example when accelerating, the foot plate seems to lean forward quit a bit more and slower when leveling out.  Also I seem to be able to do much smaller diameter circles with 1.3.5. Kind of a mix bag for me so far. Will go do some higher speed tests now. 

Ps. I am upgrading from 1.3 on a e+

Is that with the 'ride mode' set to the default '3' instead of what you're used to?  Sometimes in the update the defaults have been changed and people don't always realise its different.

I've just been out for a 'lunchtime' ride but come back in cos it's cold!  Extremely tempted to upgrade, but holding out for now ;)

1 hour ago, DangerousDick said:

Is that with the 'ride mode' set to the default '3' instead of what you're used to?

It does in fact default back to 3.  You'll need to change back to 0 if that's what you are used to.

6 minutes ago, master255 said:

I hear a low whistle after the update! How to fix it??? How to return to a previous firmware ?? Help???

Oh dear, you have a lot of reading to do my friend - no way of going back that we know of so far :(  any other symptoms apart from a noise?  If it's still working then great, just take a little extra care?

A lesson learned to 'whether or not' when it comes to upgrading in the future ;)

It is at 0. I've change it right after the upgrade and reconfirm a few times during the ride.

Just back from my longer ride. The 9b1 didn't threw me off, try to faceplant me or something,  but it still feels off/different.  It feels as nimble as before (may be more so. I swear I am doing smaller radius turns and circles or am I imagining it???) but the paddles just behave differently i.e. In 1.3, when you try to break from high speed, the paddles seems to level out in sync your body; now they seems to level out with respect to the speed, so when I lean back to break, the paddles lag behind a little and I can feel them leveling out as the uc slows. 

Also, I've notice a different pitch to the veeeeee sound The motor makes.

I've only been on the uc for an hour after the upgrade so this is not a testament to the stability or safety of the new firmware; however, there is nothing abrupt or crazy so far and if anyone do want to upgrade during this early phase, please wear protective gear. 

Will report back if it does anything strange. 

PS. Bluetooth connection seems to be better by a mile on 1.3.5

17 hours ago, SuperSport said:

Again, I have to say that the motor seems to run Smoother.  Inputs feel more precise.  I believe these motors run from pulses of electricity and you time the pulses to make it run faster or slower, forward or reverse.  I believe when they said that 1.3.5 would  "Optimize the algorithm of motor, improve the ridding experience", I believe they re-programmed the pulses to hit smoother.  In essence, timing them better than they were.

This is only a guess on my part, but that's how it feels.

There's a PWM (pulse width modulation) -control running at constant frequency used to open and close the mosfets in the bridges, and it's the width of the pulses (the time it stays "on" during one cycle) that controls the (desired) speed of the motor. Or actually the difference between the motor back-EMF and the voltage "seen" from the battery direction, that causes different currents, which in turn cause torque (or braking, depending on the current direction), ie. the motor accelerating/slowing down... I probably should try to write a longer forum post sometime about how I understand these motors work, and see if I could then bait the people with the real knowhow to correct my misunderstandings and parts which I lack knowledge in ;) 

11 minutes ago, master255 said:

Do not update to this firmware! There was a strong electronic whistle from the wheel!

I hope be released a new firmware before the the new year!

Just a guess on my part, but the audible sound could be caused by them dropping the PWM-frequency to the human hearing range (<20kHz). Or some resonance elsewhere..?

I do confirm this electric noise that you notice when you ride along a wall that reflects the sound toward you. It is a very light sound clearly linked to the switching (frequency varies with your speed). According to me, he doesn't mean that there is a problem behind that.

My wild guess is that "electronic whistle" noise  is intentional from forward thinking Ninebot engineers to keep mosquitoes and bugs out, when you ride off road. If you are not happy with this update, hey, wait couple of days and you get another update... with another new issue. 

1 hour ago, esaj said:

There's a PWM (pulse width modulation) -control running at constant frequency used to open and close the mosfets in the bridges, and it's the width of the pulses (the time it stays "on" during one cycle) that controls the (desired) speed of the motor. Or actually the difference between the motor back-EMF and the voltage "seen" from the battery direction, that causes different currents, which in turn cause torque (or braking, depending on the current direction), ie. the motor accelerating/slowing down... I probably should try to write a longer forum post sometime about how I understand these motors work, and see if I could then bait the people with the real knowhow to correct my misunderstandings and parts which I lack knowledge in ;) 

Just a guess on my part, but the audible sound could be caused by them dropping the PWM-frequency to the human hearing range (<20kHz). Or some resonance elsewhere..?

Just now I drove 5 km.. It is horrible sound !!! It intensifies when picking up speed! Immediately return everything as it was !!! It is difficult to ride !!!

5 minutes ago, master255 said:

Immediately return everything as it was !!! It is difficult to ride !!!

That might be "slightly" outside my powers... There's someone who claims to have made downgrading possible, but I didn't read the topic that closely:  http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/2219-some-people-see-the-discussion-firmware-downgrade-this-is-entirely-achievable-and-ive-got-work-but-complicated-to-operate-trouble/

Also I have some problems understanding everything, like " Meng Meng Alice head down good " ;)

This new fw rocks !

Overall, the wheel is by far way softer, si is the tilt back, the wheel drains less battery than before, the circles are easier to do and shorter than before.

the only downside is the whistle already reported but it is not so lourd as i read on some posts.

i highly recommend the upgrade to this firmware !

i wish you nice wheeling trips for what is left of 2015 !

The "Whistle" or Hum I hear reminds me of futuristic movies where the cars make a humming sound, but not that loud.  I don't mind it since I'm riding a futuristic wheel.  And, maybe because I'm older it is not as loud to me?  I know we lose our ability to hear higher noises as we age.  Again, I don't feel like it's any noisier than it was on 1.3.0, but I could be wrong.

20 minutes ago, Charly said:

This new fw rocks !

Overall, the wheel is by far way softer, si is the tilt back, the wheel drains less battery than before, the circles are easier to do and shorter than before.

the only downside is the whistle already reported but it is not so lourd as i read on some posts.

i highly recommend the upgrade to this firmware !

i wish you nice wheeling trips for what is left of 2015 !

How can you recommend it! I have a headache until I was driving! The sound is horrible!

Archived