Your wheel catches FIRE while charging - what do you do?

Tryptych

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Don’t own a GotWay/Begode with 900Wh battery packs. Etc.

That’s quite a few people then, self included😳. Apart from blaming poor production methods and/or quality control, did anyone ever manage to pin down the specific cause of this problem, ie is it primarily the chemical properties of the type T cells  which were/are the issue, or is it a combination of aspects, ie usage,  possible short circuits, etc? 

Until this is determined fully and finally, I’d see it as quite a barrier to certification of  eg electric flying machines (glad I’ve still got a petrol paramotor, frankly), does anyone know whether any forensic work is ongoing or has determined the root cause of the problem? TIA

• Like 1

This could be the best EUC fire containment plan that I’ve seen!

Steady on! No one said anything about fire containment and nor did I, this is my fire action plan as the title asks. I also explained the short comings in my post.

But what people don’t talk about in these fire plan threads is active fire prevention, which makes a huge difference in battery safety. Much bigger than Firesaks, fire blankets etc:

Handle your batteries correctly. Don’t let them get too hot from direct sunlight etc. Monitor the voltages, and react INSTANTLY if something changes. Don’t leave them in the charger for longer than a few hours after the charger turns green. Use power sparingly when the battery is low. Brake easy at first after charging to full. Don’t let the voltage drop too low while in storage. Don’t do battery mods unless you are truly experienced with Li-ions and electronics. Consider a wet battery pack as a bomb, forever. Don’t own a GotWay/Begode with 900Wh battery packs. Etc.

I agree with this totally.

If we are not home and our wheels catch fire there will be very little to stop it.  Could the intensity of the fire cause the temperature in the room rise enough to create spontaneous combustion anyway? outside of any box or containment unless there is an exhaust flue to the outside.

Only real solution is dedicated outside storage/ shed unconnected to anything else.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I don’t recall there to have been spontaneous combustions without warning signs. Therefore I’m not at all worried that my wheel would  combust when I’m away.

Lost in translation. I was talking about how when a fire starts it creates everything around it to spontaneous combust after 3 minutes of so if the fire gets enough fuel.

I agree with you. I'm not worried about our wheels catching fire if we look after them. 

The London Fire brigade produces a brochure to this affect to:

Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 12.21.00.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Robse said:

4: Charger goes green and red repeatedly.

Mine did that once... At last 99% ~0.5Volts of charging cycle. The intervals of red/green was around 4-5 min charging, 1-2 mins off like a clockwork. After reconnecting charger it did it few more times, before resuming the standard charging as it used to.. Haven't had this happen anymore.

Still don't know WTF was that.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Lost in translation. I was talking about how when a fire starts it creates everything around it to spontaneous combust after 3 minutes of so if the fire gets enough fuel.

Absolutely. I actually responded more to what @Funky had commented earlier. Should’ve included a quote, my bad.

42 minutes ago, Robse said:

We need a pinned table of warning sign:

Very good list! Although,

42 minutes ago, Robse said:

Charger goes green and red repeatedly.

Doesn’t Sherman and S22 chargers do that as a part of their normal charging process?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Poker said:

This thread needs more violent fires to scare people

Do you believe this thread's purpose is to scare people?

Or is it to have like-minded folks to shared their ideas and experiences with others?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just thought a video would be the best way to show why its important to consider some of the advice in the thread.

Also the thread I linked to has discussed the topic of fire safety 

Edited by Poker
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Asphalt said:

We got on top of it quick with fire extinguishers and called fire respone who dowsed the area with water and posted a fire watch, but it took almost 2 hours to completely extinguish.

It's a shame we can't readily get AVD Fire extinguishers in the states. ATM it's the ONLY Fire Extinguisher than can put out a Lithium battery fire.

It took them almost 2 hrs. because that is how long it took to cool down the batteries enough to stop the thermal runaway. 

Below is a video of an AVD Fire extinguisher in action. (Granted we would need/use bigger extinguishers for our wheels)

This fire was put out in less than 4 mins and was safe to handle after about 10 mins

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

(Granted we would need/use bigger extinguishers for our wheels)

The bigger challenge would be gaining access to the packs for direct application.  The best any of us are going to do without tools and PPE is to coat the EUC, which would be useless.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1