Dog leash for more safety

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

You want your wheel to coast to a stop when no rider is present?

Not at all, my point was that some posting raised concerns about to what degree they wished to secure their wheel to themselves, that is all. I had more in mind the ‘bouncing bomb’ thing we tend to see on videos when an accident or mishap (often at speed) renders the wheel a heavy and bouncing mass of unpredictable trajectory, rather than something someone stepped off and left running along, albeit unsupervised/controlled.

As a newcomer to the wheel I’m certainly glad to have the advice you suggest about setting the C of G behind the axle, as I wasn’t aware of such a thing being possible, I can readily grasp the desirability of same, but then again I’ve yet to open up and use any control app, let alone adjust the more intricate settings - every day a school day.

Edited by Freeforester
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Freeforester said:

Not at all, my point was that some posting raised concerns about to what degree they wished to secure their wheel to themselves, that is all. I had more in mind the ‘bouncing bomb’ thing we tend to see on videos when an accident or mishap (often at speed) renders the wheel a heavy and bouncing mass of unpredictable trajectory, rather than something someone stepped off and left running along, albeit unsupervised/controlled.

I personally wouldn't tie a leash to a wheel. You need to let the wheel tumble and dissipate energy on its own rather than yanking you along. One can only imagine an autopsy report should a fifty pound wheel tumble into a lake with you attached to it.

Anyway, a tumbling wheel is a dead letter; the tip over sensor stops power to the wheel and so the wheel WILL stop.

• Like 1

I've tried them all, and was not satisfied with the dog leashes (not strong enough) or fall restraint lanyards (too heavy, overkill). Ended up with boat anchor line with built in bungee that stretches from 4ft-6ft. These are super light, cheap (Amazon), and rated to around 2000 lbs. When riding off-road, these things are absolutely indispensable especially when going up/down steep hills or hitting sketchy features (example 1, example 2), but I don't recommend using on the road because it might kill you if it gets tangled with a car/truck and you can't get away.
91y8wE6CIiL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.3d56fd1f54dd14575cfe0389076abd65.jpg

71bZguj4oxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 6:53 AM, conecones said:

but I don't recommend using on the road because it might kill you if it gets tangled with a car/truck and you can't get away.

It only has to exert enough force on the wheel to throw it off balance so it topples over rather than going off 100 feet into the street right.  So if you attach it to a weak spot in your clothing while street riding like a belt loop or something else it would exert enough force on the wheel to topple it but if it got caught in something likely just rip off your belt loop unless you have very very sturdy jeans. So attach it around your belt loop but do not attach it to a caribiner that is attached to a leather belt or you might get halved if it got caught in a truck wheel final destination style.

On 8/3/2021 at 1:58 PM, Heyzeus said:

It only has to exert enough force on the wheel to throw it off balance so it topples over rather than going off 100 feet into the street right.  So if you attach it to a weak spot in your clothing while street riding like a belt loop or something else it would exert enough force on the wheel to topple it but if it got caught in something likely just rip off your belt loop unless you have very very sturdy jeans. So attach it around your belt loop but do not attach it to a caribiner that is attached to a leather belt or you might get halved if it got caught in a truck wheel final destination style.

Or you could find if your wheel has an unstable or stable direction. Some wheels will be unstable when gently pushed out on their own and will wobble until they crash.

I'm unsure of the mechanism, but it behaves similar to the way shopping cart wheels will be unstable in one direction but not the other. Some bicycles also can be ridden without hands while others instantly crash you. Never figured out why...

So if you just push your wheel and it immediate destabilizes, then you probably don't need a leash as the wheel will crash by itself without a rider.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:58 PM, Heyzeus said:

Even without a leash, I'm sure the wheel will topple over right away if falling at street speeds (50+km/h). The "ghost riding" events are pretty rare and not really a big factor for me. The point of a leash though is not to topple it over, but rather to keep it from rolling away from you (down a cliff, off a ladder bridge..etc) which is very useful in offroad situations and also on the road in specific uses (close track, no cars). Just the momentum of a 60+lb wheel toppling at 50 kmh is enough to send it flying away and that's the point of the leash, so a break-away design IMO defeats the purpose.

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 7:27 PM, GothamMike said:

When I walk my neighbor's dog, I NEVER put my hand in the leash loop. He is very comfortable trotting along at 8-9 MPH.

If a squirrel or cat runs by, I cannot restrain him. He has not tipped me over yet.

FWIW: This is exactly why ALWAYS walk my dogs with my hand in the leash loop.  I'd rather be dragged through the dirt on my face than have one of my dogs off-leash chasing an animal.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 6:39 PM, LanghamP said:

I'm unsure of the mechanism, but it behaves similar to the way shopping cart wheels will be unstable in one direction but not the other. Some bicycles also can be ridden without hands while others instantly crash you. Never figured out why...

Caster

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If you happen to know minimum force required to destabilise the EUC reliably, you could add a breakaway connector near the body attachment point. I'm thinking paracord toggles, breakaway ID lanyards, or breakaway tool tethers depending on force requirements.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:29 AM, StuartL said:

I have not found that my leash has had any dangerous effects.  I've had several falls/slips at low speeds and the leash has saved my EUC from rolling away down the hill at least two of those times.  While I do understand your concern I will continue to use the leash to not only preserve my investment but to stop it running away out of control and potentially risk others.

Yeah, absolutely - as a newb, I am using a handheld one (literally the dog´s non-extendable spare leash), but seriously looking at some of the options here.

Don´t care much about what I might look like, compared to the embarrasment of making a big dent on a passing/parked BMW/Audi... or god forbid hitting someones leg sideways with a rolling 12kg lump of uncontrolled metal, rubber and batteries...

Lean in! Saile

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:02 PM, Paul A said:

Holy Cr#p!! Since having a dog and living in a lift/eleveator-building this has been one of my nightmares - even worse, if the dog pops out (or in), just as the doors close leaving me on one side and the canine on the other - my worse case scenario is the dog being strangled and/or shredded through between the door and the floor edge as the lift, with a motor capable of moving hundreds of kilos... - horrible thought, but it can happen and this is the closest I have seen this happening. All leashes should have a designed weak link like the one being offered here. Good on you for bringing this to a collective consciousness with more and more people living in high rise apartmentes AND owning dogs.

Saile

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have used a leash for a year on my EUC. Considering I ride mostly black diamond off-road singletrack, it is absolutely essential. All the Singletrack riders I ride with have one. I have crashed at least 100 times and my EUC has never hit me, and for sure the leash has caused zero issues. Taking a poll f on the riders I know that have used them, we can account for zero situations where the leash caused a problem. 

On the other hand, the leash has saved the day dozens of times. I can't tell you how many times I would have had to climb down a cliff or hill to fetch my EUC if I didn't have a leash. Also, it has kept my EUC from doing the death tumble/roll. Lastly, these eucs have a lot of batteries. The thought of my EUC going down a hill and tumbling to the point the batteries get crushed and cause a fire..... I don't want to be the cause of any forest fires. 

A great leash to use is called "tow wee bike tow strap" on Amazon. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1