Street/slick tyres for MSX100v?

Banjaxt

Hi there, 

I'm shopping around for a new tyre for my MSX as I've got 4000+kms out of the stock one now and want a change.
What I'm searching for is a soft(ish) super grippy slick tyre similar to the Michelin City Pro range - but I'm not 100% sure it'll fit as I don't understand their dimensions. 

Anyone know if this will fit?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-City-3-00-18-Front-wheel/dp/B00V8KHGIK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=michelin+city+pro+3.0&qid=1596125686&sr=8-1
I know width is fine, not sure about height..

Or does anyone have any recommendations/links for such a tyre? 

4 hours ago, Banjaxt said:

Sorry, both measures are wrong. Motorcycle tires are measured differently. I finally made a pinned topic to explain this:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Banjaxt said:

Hi there, 

I'm shopping around for a new tyre for my MSX as I've got 4000+kms out of the stock one now and want a change.
What I'm searching for is a soft(ish) super grippy slick tyre similar to the Michelin City Pro range - but I'm not 100% sure it'll fit as I don't understand their dimensions. 

Anyone know if this will fit?: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Michelin-City-3-00-18-Front-wheel/dp/B00V8KHGIK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=michelin+city+pro+3.0&qid=1596125686&sr=8-1

Or does anyone have any recommendations/links for such a tyre? 

The CHAOYANG H-666 18x3.0 tire has been a popular tire for the msx.  Search around and you'll find some reviews and youtube of it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2020 at 2:51 AM, Willy510 said:

The CHAOYANG H-666 18x3.0 tire has been a popular tire for the msx.  Search around and you'll find some reviews and youtube of it

Thanks for that! Watching videos now :)
Any other suggestions?

I was hoping to find a tyre by a top manufacturer (Maxxis, Michelin, Continental etc) that I could use.
Do they exist?

4 hours ago, Banjaxt said:

I was hoping to find a tyre by a top manufacturer (Maxxis, Michelin, Continental etc) that I could use.
Do they exist?

If you want something slick you need to look at motorcycle tyres. For the MSX/MSP you would need a 70/90/14. Michelin Pilots are available and someone did fit a Pilot (albeit a bigger diameter) to a Monster.

I would like to try one myself, my only concern being that the carcass would likely be a fair bit stiffer than a stock EUC tyre.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

If you want something slick you need to look at motorcycle tyres. For the MSX/MSP you would need a 70/90/14. Michelin Pilots are available and someone did fit a Pilot (albeit a bigger diameter) to a Monster.

I would like to try one myself, my only concern being that the carcass would likely be a fair bit stiffer than a stock EUC tyre.

i've put a metzeler on my monster and i can confirm that is stiffer compared to the stock EUC tire .

• Like 1

Yes, mc tires are best run with a slightly lower pressures than what you’re used to on regular EUC tires. Usually. But some mc tires are soft as well, such as the CST C-186, and probably it’s Kenda lookalike (K262? The off-road one on the Sherman.).

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Yeah you would deffo struggle with that on an MSX. That's why I think a 70 width is about the most you could go.

Unfortunately it’s not that simple. The actual maximum widths vary wildly between different tire models, and the size designation is just a hint at the right direction.

I tried a 80/100-14 IRC SN-26 on my MSX, and it fit nicely. But that’s for sure not to say that all 80 width tires would fit. Even some 70 width ones could be tight to fit.

Edited by mrelwood

10 hours ago, Planemo said:

Yeah but at least you have a better chance with a 70...

I would say you got lucky with am 80, given that it *should* have been 3.1".

I’m not sure it should. In all mc tire size compatibility charts I found, 80/100 was mentioned as a direct replacement for 2.75” wide tires.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I’m not sure it should. In all mc tire size compatibility charts I found, 80/100 was mentioned as a direct replacement for 2.75” wide tires.

i was thinking the same, if you look at those charts you'll find that for our 1.85 std rim size the tire is always "80/xx"

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

80 is the width in mm across the tread if fitted to a rim of the reccomended suitable width. The msx rim is actually narrow for a 3" tyre, so thats probabably how you got away with it. It pulled in the sides of the tyre.

1 hour ago, EMA said:

i was thinking the same, if you look at those charts you'll find that for our 1.85 std rim size the tire is always "80/xx"

Did you measure the internal width of the msx rim at 1.85"?

12 hours ago, Planemo said:

80 is the width in mm across the tread if fitted to a rim of the reccomended suitable width. The msx rim is actually narrow for a 3" tyre, so thats probabably how you got away with it. It pulled in the sides of the tyre.

Did you measure the internal width of the msx rim at 1.85"?

i've read it somewhere on the rim, if i remember correctly :ph34r: need to check

• 1 month later...

On 9/10/2020 at 3:48 AM, Planemo said:

For the MSX/MSP you would need a 70/90/14. Michelin Pilots are available and someone did fit a Pilot (albeit a bigger diameter) to a Monster.

Decided to give it a go and ordered the 70/90/14 Pilot!
Tyre looks and feels great so hoping this will be a hit... :D
Will post my results..

• 4 weeks later...

@Planemo Thanks for the advice, this tyre is a total badass! 

I wasn't aware how much less grip I had with the stock tyre (guess I was just used to it) until I switched up to this Michelin! :w00t2:

I'd only ridden stock ChaoYang C series tyres on my Tesla v2 and MSX to compare, but the Michelin is hands down way better in all conditions. Grips all day and feels way more confident cornering. The only thing I wasn't sure about at first is the PSI. Because it's a lot chunkier this tyre doesn't like being run/rolling too low/bouncy so I had to have slightly more pressure in it to hit the sweet spot. Too much pressure is also more noticeable as the road chatter increases very quickly with higher PSIs. I played with mine round the block for 20 mins and worked out my sweet pressure. Haven't looked back since!

Might even consider trying out the 80mm one as once it was pumped up it didn't seem nearly as wide as I was expecting and I wanted to try something a bit more 'Z10' style. Will post results here if/when I do. I reckon I'll get an 80mm Pilot Street in there judging from how this one filled out. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michelin-Pilot-Street-Radial-RF-70-90-14-40P-TL-Motorcycle-Tyre/303725278933?hash=item46b76ff6d5:g:lmMAAOSw3eFfhjrL

Edited by Banjaxt

21 minutes ago, Delmeekc said:

Pics for me too please. How hard is it compared to the original.  Have you run it with the standard tube too.

Pics in links above :D
There's definitely more rubber in the whole build of this tyre. It's NOT easy to get on the rim! Everything is stiffer/thicker when compared to the old ChaoYang. It feels super twitchy when you run the PSI too high and you get a worrying amount of bounce/terrain chatter but as soon as you let enough air out to find your sweet spot (mine is about 30 to 35psi I think and I'm about 90kg with gear on) it rides amazing! So much grip even in wet!

It's still noticeably harder than the original (being an MC/scooter tyre) but when I found the sweet PSI spot everything fell into place and I felt much more confident riding it. Running it with the standard replacement tube I got from Speedyfeet. Make sure you use smooth metal tyre levers! I put two punctures in my new tube putting it on with flat head screwdrivers as I was feeling lazy.. I also found coating the tube in talc really helps when pushing the tube in between the rim/tyre and getting the bent valve in position ..

3 minutes ago, Banjaxt said:

Pics in links above :D
There's definitely more rubber in the whole build of this tyre. It's NOT easy to get on the rim! Everything is stiffer/thicker when compared to the old ChaoYang. It feels super twitchy when you run the PSI too high and you get a worrying amount of bounce/terrain chatter but as soon as you let enough air out to find your sweet spot (mine is about 30 to 35psi I think and I'm about 90kg with gear on) it rides amazing! So much grip even in wet!

It's still noticeably harder than the original (being an MC/scooter tyre) but when I found the sweet PSI spot everything fell into place and I felt much more confident riding it. Running it with the standard replacement tube I got from Speedyfeet. Make sure you use smooth metal tyre levers! I put two punctures in my new tube putting it on with flat head screwdrivers as I was feeling lazy.. I also found coating the tube in talc really helps when pushing the tube in between the rim/tyre and getting the bent valve in position ..

What did you run the original tyre at, I run my MSuperX at 22psi and I'm 95kgs.  Just curious so can compare what your running this one at.