Street/slick tyres for MSX100v?

Banjaxt

4 minutes ago, Delmeekc said:

What did you run the original tyre at

I've only got an old Rennkompressor track pump so the gauge isn't great for reading exact PSI between the markers so I'm guessing..
Think I got away with running the ChaoYang about 22-25psi but the Michelin seems to be happier around the 30/35 mark. It makes noticeably more noise at lower PSI and it felt like the sidewalls didn't like compressing that much with lower PSIs, possibly causing some extra noise as they got squashed while rolling. It's a scooter tyre ultimately so I'd expect it's not supposed to be run low. Max PSI seems to be 41. I tried it around 40 first and it was just scary! Fell off/got feet bounced just going round the block and mounting a small kerb in front of some bemused dog walkers! :D

I put an 80/90-14 Michelin on my RS so I think it would fit on the MSX. I lost a lot of range tho, like 30% at least. It was also very hard to carve at speeds above 35mph, but super enjoyable below that. I want to get a 70/90-14 and try that out, I think you've got the better size - less rotating mass with the narrower tire should impact range less and have less gryo effect at high speed. 

I know what you mean about not knowing how much you were slipping around with the stock tire. The michelin handles like a formula1 car. 

Awesome work!! Glad it worked out OK for you. Yes, it does look like an 80 width would fit. I appreciate that @JeremyB mentions that he managed to fit an 80 to his RS, but sometimes different manufacturers do come out a bit different on sizing. If you get round to fitting an 80 Pilot, please let us know!

I am so tempted to do this, but I really, really like the softness of the stock tyre - enough that I would be OK in sacrificing some grip over the Pilot.

I am not sure how you are quantifying an increase in grip...?! I have never slid out on the stock tyre (except mud/leaves etc to be expected), nor do I want to - any slippage on one wheel is usually going to result in a total loss of control. Are you a Jedi master who can drift an EUC or something?! It's a serious question, did/do you often slide around without falling?

And I know it's really hard to answer this one - but could you give a percentage increase in 'hardness' over the stock tyre?

Edit, sorry I thought Jeremy fitted a Continental to his RS, so the 80 Pilot does fit the MS/RS shell :) Wow shame about the loss of range tho - 30% :shock2:

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1

More MSX street tire options under discussion here:

On 10/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, houseofjob said:

For street, one of our local NYC riders, who has been scooping up and trying every 14” and 17” tire known to man, has raved about the Michelin City Pro, saying its his favorite of the 10’s of tires he’s tried, easy to carving and great overall feel apparently. The 80/90-14 version is only available in Europe via listings like this eBay one.

On 11/24/2020 at 1:45 AM, JeremyB said:

I put an 80/90-14 Michelin on my RS so I think it would fit on the MSX. I lost a lot of range tho, like 30% at least. It was also very hard to carve at speeds above 35mph, but super enjoyable below that. I want to get a 70/90-14 and try that out, I think you've got the better size - less rotating mass with the narrower tire should impact range less and have less gryo effect at high speed. 

I meant to ask @JeremyB, when you get a minute is it possible to measure the width across the 80 section tyre you fitted to your RS? I imagine it's around 80mm but could be a bit less if the sidewalls are being pulled in a bit by the narrow RS rim. Cheers

On 11/29/2020 at 10:53 PM, Planemo said:

I meant to ask @JeremyB, when you get a minute is it possible to measure the width across the 80 section tyre you fitted to your RS? I imagine it's around 80mm but could be a bit less if the sidewalls are being pulled in a bit by the narrow RS rim. Cheers

I can't because I sold the RS and he put a kenda262 on it :(  but here are some pics: 

https://imgur.com/GxBmI9T 

https://imgur.com/DRc8oz2 

18 hours ago, Planemo said:

Battlax SC? Looks nice :)

Appears to be tubeless, hows the ride?

Less bouncy definitely...it's perhaps different compound ..and I feel my msx feels snappier :)...very happy with the tyre.... It's Bridgestone 80/90 14 40

I've been eyeballing a nice slick type tyre, a CST C6501 which can be bought in a tubed version. I am trying to stay away from tubeless due to their stiffness, but theres not many decent tubeless slicks around, presumably because any small motorcycle running tubes wouldn't normally be needing slick tyres. This CST looks like a good option. Just need to try and find one now...which doesn't seem to be easy...

https://shopee.ph/CST-MOTORCYCLE-TIRES-C6501-80-90-14-TUBE-TYPE-i.226968858.3450776776

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

I've been eyeballing a nice slick type tyre, a CST C6501 which can be bought in a tubed version. I am trying to stay away from tubeless due to their stiffness, but theres not many decent tubeless slicks around, presumably because any small motorcycle running tubes wouldn't normally be needing slick tyres. This CST looks like a good option. Just need to try and find one now...which doesn't seem to be easy...

https://shopee.ph/CST-MOTORCYCLE-TIRES-C6501-80-90-14-TUBE-TYPE-i.226968858.3450776776

Looking good !