100v Nikola, longevity and mileage.

Waverider216

Planning to splurge and get a 100V Nikola. Going to use it as a last mile commuter (4 miles x 3 times a week) and also for weekend high speed fun.  Curious if anyone has logged high mileage on their nikola and have encountered there little to no problems.  TIA

5 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

How about that annoying startup noise? Is it still doing it? 

I know if you purchase one from eWheels it won't have the startup sound. Not sure about other vendors.

On 7/28/2020 at 10:23 AM, Ronin Ryder said:

I just got a brand-new replacement board from Gotway. Build date 7/20. Totally new design. And yes, it has the startup sound.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Picture please:) Is it the "new Gotway board" from the MSP etc?

I believe the startup sound is just on the speaker board. I swapped that out with one provided by eWheels and that removed the startup sound. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 7:50 PM, Waverider216 said:

Planning to splurge and get a 100V Nikola. Going to use it as a last mile commuter (4 miles x 3 times a week) and also for weekend high speed fun.  Curious if anyone has logged high mileage on their nikola and have encountered there little to no problems.  TIA

the problems dont really come with "high" mileage.. the problems come in the form of bad boards or bad batteries.. you can expect to do tens of thousands of km on a wheel if you dont smash it to hell first or there are no battery/board issues (which generally present themselves early on)... there was recently a problem and worries about 100V nikola battery fires, i believe some were recalled and they switched to a different manufacturer... almost all 84V nikolas were affected by the 5V DC converter on the board dying causing it to be impossible to turn off lights and fans on the wheel, this meant those lucky enough to get one had to replace the board, some people had to pay out of pocket etc.. everyone knows the original nikolas had a safety issue with the mosfets on the board and it was changed to another type on subsequent nikolas... anyways... in gotway terms, the nikola after the initial board change has been a relatively safe wheel.. thus far. it is however a very large wheel and the msx is better in every way except looks/comfort but those are both subjective.. some find the msx more comfortable and better looking thats up to you, but the msx has an almost perfect track record and its been out longer than the nikola.... there were a few kinks in the msp but now that its been out for a while it seems pretty safe... not that the nikola isnt fine now, but for the size it is unless you hate the looks or strictly want a 16" tire the msx/msp hs is better in every way

Edited by Rywokast

On 7/31/2020 at 2:19 AM, Rywokast said:

not that the nikola isnt fine now, but for the size it is unless you hate the looks or strictly want a 16" tire the msx/msp hs is better in every way

I was debating nikola+ vs msp and went for the nikola+ just because of the fragile "paper mache" shell of the msp...Granted both look great.

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ronin Ryder said:

I was debating nikola+ vs msp and went for the nikola+ just because of the paper mache shell of the msp...Granted both look great.

yea the nikola is better built no doubt and if you ask me, a very good looking wheel

almost 2200 miles on my Nikola 100V my power button stopped working, but other than that it’s been bulletproof. Swapped my bald tire to a ChaoYang H666 and it fundamentally changed the wheel (for the better).

1 hour ago, Ben Kim said:

almost 2200 miles on my Nikola 100V my power button stopped working, but other than that it’s been bulletproof. Swapped my bald tire to a ChaoYang H666 and it fundamentally changed the wheel (for the better).

Hey Ben,

Where did you get the ChaoYang H666 from?  eWheels doesn't carry it.

On 7/28/2020 at 1:23 PM, Ronin Ryder said:

Auto quoting myself. It doesnt make the startup sound anymore. Just (loud) beeps. Still annoying but better than what it used to be.

Edited by Ronin Ryder

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Ended up getting one with roughly 600miles on it, should have plenty of life left.  It’s been a dream to ride.  Used the gotway pads as a power pad for the shins.  Once I get the final positioning, will gorilla tape the rest.

FC79FC7E-7992-41C7-B19A-23B9F35F7952.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 10:50 PM, Waverider216 said:

I have over 6000 miles on my 100v nikola with the 18650 cells and no issues just one tire change. I loved it when the tire was bald, it felt like a Z10 on steroids. So much gyro 

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1