The knobbiest knobby - 16 Inch

Tinkererboi

@meepmeepmayer - to the tire forum please :)

@Tinkererboi love it!

We always want to know:

1. What type of surface is it best at, that the original tire sucks at? (I suspect grass and gravel... but mud and sand will still be difficult.)
  2. Can you carve confidently on pavement with it?

Hopefully you'll find out soon ;)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Blake said:

@Tinkererboi Looks like this thread is a few months old, so you probably have some kms on that knobby tire now.  How did it work out?  How is it on loose trails?  How about pavement?

Offroad with this feels like turning on infinite traction cheat in a videogame. Long grass, thick mud, roots, rocks, loose sand is all no issue now. Have scaled grass and clay hills that I could not even walk up. Had so much fun offroad that my wheel was clogged full off mud. 

In the streets, the thick rubber seems to make stair rides very comfortable and I have much more confidence going down stairs with this than any previous tyre. However I still cannot seem to get enough traction to ride up stairs consistently without slipping. Maybe it's my country's perpetually moist climate combined with slippery tiles and high steps, or my lack of skill.

On wet asphalt, it's a little slippery in the first 500km, felt like the knobs were flexing in deep turns or something. As the knobs wore down a little shorter it became much grippier on wet and hard surfaces and I now feel just as much grip on this as with all my previous tyres.

Would like to add that while riding this without cutting side knobs is possible, cutting them down with a very sharp knife will improve the ride much more without compromising on grip. Still scraping my pedals all the time and still haven't washed out on a deep carve bevore. Cutting them turned out to be way easier than I thought and I highly reccomend doing it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Blake said:

@TinkererboiThanks for the update!  I'd like to give that tire a try on my 16X.  Do you happen to have a link for ordering it?  Just want to make sure I'm ordering the same thing.  Thanks!

Mine was from taobao but I don't think that's accessible to most of us here. I found a 99% similar tyre here. Try this link

21 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

How loud is this tire? On the scale from silent to angry hornet swarm?

Angry hornet for sure

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2020 at 7:11 AM, Babyfasty said:

This tire is 12 inch diameter. However, on the market, there are many more 12,5 inch diameter. Do you think they are compatible?

No.

The rim diameter is 12", so a tire for a 12.5" rim won't stay on.

The outer diameter needs to be near 16". If you find a tire with an outer diameter near 12", it's completely wrong.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 3:25 AM, Babyfasty said:

I just received a 12 1/2 size tire. It's very strange because it is smaller than the rim. I expected that it would be larger. Have a look.

https://icedrive.net/0/40pCRwNFu2

@Tinkererboi are you sure that this 12 inch tire fit( https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33012713891.html )?

Yep it fits. Still loving it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 4:31 PM, Crooznfbroozn said:

@Tinkererboi What tube did you use? I got this tire now but the original tube "bunches" up at one side (ignoring the pinching when trying to get this "just a bit too tight" wheel on)

I used a tube for 2.5 inch tyres, 45° valve angle if i can recall correctly.

On 12/19/2020 at 7:03 PM, Babyfasty said:

@Tinkererboi The knobby tire is more comfortable even in 2.75 inch wide?

Yep, it's comfy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

I used a tube for 2.5 inch tyres, 45° valve angle if i can recall correctly.

Yep, it's comfy.

Thank you, I eventually ended up with a 2.5" as well (using the 3" tube ended up in many, many tears being shed lol)

But oh boy what a completely different ride this is. Will need time to adjust how the wheel doesn't "want" to stay upright like the stock tire 

Edited by Crooznfbroozn

Just put this tire on my 16x. Here is the link if you’re interested. It just barely fits. This tire is about 3 times as heavy and much thicker than the stock tire. Warning, it’s freakin difficult to put on. 

MMG Combo Tire and Inner Tube Size 3.00-12 Front or Rear Knobby Tread, Motorcycle Trail Off Road Dirt Bike Motocross Pit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1XFW4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_dTH-Fb6CB55MX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

96966AC3-581A-461C-965F-7B7CA11DF7A6.jpeg

B48FDB17-BB9C-47F3-B4B0-2C44A98A3178.jpeg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jpd said:

Just put this tire on my 16x. Here is the link if you’re interested. It just barely fits. This tire is about 3 times as heavy and much thicker than the stock tire. Warning, it’s freakin difficult to put on. 

MMG Combo Tire and Inner Tube Size 3.00-12 Front or Rear Knobby Tread, Motorcycle Trail Off Road Dirt Bike Motocross Pit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y1XFW4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_dTH-Fb6CB55MX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Man, I've had this one in my cart for so long. Been afraid to bite the bullet just incase it didn't fit. You have to shave any knobs or sand the shell? What psi you running? How's it ride on street for carving?

Edited by Dreygun

9 minutes ago, Dreygun said:

Man, I've had this one in my cart for so long. Been afraid to bite the bullet just incase it didn't fit. You have to shave any knobs or sand the shell? What psi you running? How's it ride on street for carving?

I didn’t have to modify the tire or shell. The psi has to be low, I started out at 45 and was way too squirrelly, so I lowered it to 20 and it seems to be good. I took it out for a short ride and it felt pretty good, not too noisy either. I’ll take it out for a proper ride this week to see if it performs well.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Babyfasty said:

@Tinkererboi Hi

I mounted this tire two days ago and schedule an off-road party. However I tried this one on road and I was completely confused. I couldn't keep moving because the wheel push me on left or right with very few chances to continue straight. I couldn't even tried on field because I must ride few miles to join the team. I want to be clear, I wouldn't ride one mile with this tire on road - indomitable. 0 stability.

I tested with 2.5 bars to 3.1 bars, under this it was worst (recommandation on tire is 2.4 bars / 36 psi).

Maybe this tire is ONLY made for off-road uses, but I can't confirm.

It definitely bites better in off road surfaces. You may have noticed there are two directions you can put the wheel on. I put it on "hard" (the 'flat' side of the center knobbies in the direction forward).

But as with yourself the experience was jarring at first. Wheel just "wants to fall" sideways. What had made this a lot easier was lowering tube pressure from 35psi to 30psi. 

The way I sense it, the wheel is very sensitive to normal paved road and wants to adjust (if the road is angled down from left to right,the wheel wants to hang left).

What I found interesting however, is that the wheel acts differently now where the position of my feet dictate the angle of the wheel left/right but my upper body dictates the direction the wheel wants to turn. On the stock tire this was much more harmonious.

On the other hand, in off road soil the grip is insane. I feel like I could crawl sideways up muddy walls now.

Edited by Crooznfbroozn
  • Like 1