The knobbiest knobby - 16 Inch

Tinkererboi

On 1/9/2021 at 4:37 PM, Jpd said:

I didn’t have to modify the tire or shell. The psi has to be low, I started out at 45 and was way too squirrelly, so I lowered it to 20 and it seems to be good. I took it out for a short ride and it felt pretty good, not too noisy either. I’ll take it out for a proper ride this week to see if it performs well.

Did you have time to test out for a review of it yet? Is the knobbies hard or soft?

46 minutes ago, Dreygun said:

Did you have time to test out for a review of it yet? Is the knobbies hard or soft?

Yes, I rode yesterday for about 20 miles. I’d say the knobs feel in between hard and soft. I’m very surprised how much I like this tire on pavement, I’d say I like it better than the stock tire(That may change as the knobs wear down)

Off road, of course it handled really good even in big loose gravel. The only negative I can see as of now is the range will suffer some, how much I don’t know yet. 
id say give it a try! I like the 16x for off-road trails, it will be much better with this tire. Like I said before it is extremely difficult to change, so make sure you have the right tools to do it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jpd said:

Yes, I rode yesterday for about 20 miles. I’d say the knobs feel in between hard and soft. I’m very surprised how much I like this tire on pavement, I’d say I like it better than the stock tire(That may change as the knobs wear down)

Off road, of course it handled really good even in big loose gravel. The only negative I can see as of now is the range will suffer some, how much I don’t know yet. 
id say give it a try! I like the 16x for off-road trails, it will be much better with this tire. Like I said before it is extremely difficult to change, so make sure you have the right tools to do it. 

Thanks a bunch for the review!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jpd said:

Any chance for a pic of the tools you used ? 😬

On 1/11/2021 at 10:22 PM, Babyfasty said:

Fine, I'll give another shot. Otherwise, this tire will burn 😈😈😈😈😈

Lowering to 24psi again improved things a lot. Bit of a catch 22 as I'd hoped to do some decent jumping on this and I'm coming from 35 psi on the original tire 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick update; I had initially changed my tire from the stock to the one in the very first post of this thread. I go offroading for fun on MTB trails, so a better grip in a bit of mud would really help.

I've now switched back to the original stock tire.

Conclusions:

* The wheel goes from agile to really sluggish in the turns, awkward turning, needs a lot of body involvement.. effectively takes the 'joy' out of the wheel for me. On the stock tire I can hang into the wheel to turn and feel like im floating... smooth as silk. The knobby tire just wants to fall over.

* Tires that are not the original 16x3 make the wheel to low to the ground for me. (exacerbated by the fact knobby tires need you to turn a lot harder) Constantly hitting the floor.

* Quality of initial tire -> after not that many rides with it, the tire is starting to show tears.. probably not a good sign. Also getting consistent push to fall over to one side which I think is the tire not being even. (oh, and the tire was a *nightmare* to put on vs stock tire)

* Insane grip. Really crazy. However, when things get too wet and muddy I start worrying more about the electronics.. so you can't go too crazy. I tried it on ice and in snow - tons and tons of fun. 

* Just going on normal roads felt dangerous and seriously tiresome. Turns are terrible, and you cant just 'stand and chill' on your wheel.. needs constant adjustment to stay up

In short - great for snow and ice. Horrid for having fun on trails.

I've looked around for alternatives, can't see anything dependable out there - so my conclusion (unless someone can prove differently). A 16" wheel is not made for knobby tires.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Watch out when ordering tires.
I ordered a 3.0x16 tire last week thinking it was the same as 16x3.0

Turns out, it is not.
My bad.

IMG_20210610_125204trim.jpg

Edited by ArieKanarie
Found out why I was wrong
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ArieKanarie said:

Turns out, it is not.
My bad.

Looks like 3.00-16 😞

6 hours ago, ArieKanarie said:

Turns out, it is not.
My bad.

Yep, you need a 3.00x12 if you're going for a motorsports tire.