Mten3 "Gotway Dance"

I've done some searching and I know it's called the "Gotway Dance" but is there anything that can be done to stop it?  I'm trying to learn idling and backwards riding on my new MTen3 and every time I have to hop off it, this thing goes full Tasmanian Devel.  I tried to grab it a couple times but nearly lost a finger so now I just try to get out of the way and let it do its spins and backflips.  But boy is it getting beaten up quickly.  Any adjustments or firmware updates or anything that helps?  

Chris P.

• Like 2

The only thing you can do to prevent it, is don't fall off. Gotway doesnt allow for FW updates (or at least on the mten). You can do what I do, and run from it and smack the little bastard away, as you would if it's a child covered in ice cream wanting a hug. I curse my mten and have been trying to teach it basic commands like 'stay' and 'sit'. Being a gotway tho, its pretty rudimentary and is never destined to be a smarter wheel like its peers..... Some were just born dumb, the gotway IS that dumb charming pet. You can also buy another brand of wheel that is more mature.  My mten is battle scarred and luvs it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgxkye4c2qY        

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I was going to ask the same question a while back, mine has mostly been ridden in the yard so it still looks pretty good but I'm probably going to buy a new set of plastics and pedals just to have on standby...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RetroThruster said:

I was going to ask the same question a while back, mine has mostly been ridden in the yard so it still looks pretty good but I'm probably going to buy a new set of plastics and pedals just to have on standby...

I asked jason at ewheels if i should buy spare plastic. He assured me that its a tough little bugger and hasnt sold many replacement pieces. I heeded his advice, beat the shit outta mine regular, and nary a crack yet.. It was my curb hop and backwards riding learner. It has taken some damn hard hits directly into concrete and has danced itseld on asphalt routinely. I'd save the $$ and just keep some duct tape handy... I ALWAYS buy things for backups and rarely use them.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I asked jason at ewheels if i should buy spare plastic. He assured me that its a tough little bugger and hasnt sold many replacement pieces. I heeded his advice, beat the shit outta mine regular, and nary a crack yet.. It was my curb hop and backwards riding learner. It has taken some damn hard hits directly into concrete and has danced itseld on asphalt routinely. I'd save the $$ and just keep some duct tape handy... I ALWAYS buy things for backups and rarely use them.

You know what will happen, I'll buy the all the stuff and will never crash it again.  Good advice!!

• Like 1

It does seem pretty tough.  My buddy fell off his onewheel yesterday and of course the onewheel shot right into my MTen3.  It brought me to an instant stop.  The app showed a current spike of 176A and over 12000 watts.  There's a big black smudge from his bumper on the white plastic just in front of the pedal, but no cracks! The tinted piece popped off but went right back on.  

• Like 1

The first time I rode the Mten3 (my first wheel) I thought it was brilliant. After a couple of 15 minute or so sessions of drills I hopped on it, did the zigzag between two of the cars in our driveway and confidently road up the street. On the return trip I found out what a speed wobble was. The ensuing dance was only slightly stifled by my right hand, which still has the middle two fingers sore all the way back to the wrist after three weeks. The foam padding (thanks Jason) I had so carefully applied looked like a couple of stray dreadlocks.

Wrap it in a towel secured with a bungee cord. Done right it should look like Marge Simpson's hairdo so you won't be tempted to get your fingers bit by attempting to grab the handle at the start of the dance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 9:09 AM, CGPro856 said:

I got creative with an old yoga mat.  Looks silly but its pretty well protected and it slides on and off easily when not needed 

Screenshot_20200612-120906_Gallery.jpg

Wow, that's a good idea, all newbies should do this their EUC, no matter which one they have.LOL:lol:

• Like 1

I've been riding for almost 2 years and my mten3 looks like this, so that I don't have to worry about it while doing tricks.

It makes the wheel more comfortable to grip and more durable for its lifetime.  I hold mine together with bungee cords, so it's easy to open, if needed 

On 6/12/2020 at 9:09 AM, CGPro856 said:

I got creative with an old yoga mat.  Looks silly but its pretty well protected and it slides on and off easily when not needed 

Screenshot_20200612-120906_Gallery.jpg

Well done. Please note this is close to the color of Marge's hairdo.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

hmmm i’ve dropped my 2018 build Mten3 more times than i’d like to admit, never had the gotway dance issue. 

try harder, its only a matter of time. Trying to learn backwards 360's is a sure fire way to have it ask you to dance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

try harder, its only a matter of time. Trying to learn backwards 360's is a sure fire way to have it ask you to dance.

That could explain why; I only use that wheel for transport, not tricks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've recently tried teaching my 7 yr old to ride a mten3, and less than 2 minutes into Lesson #1 the 'dance' started and one of the pedals caught his ankle bone 😩. I convinced him to give it another shot and it happened again 5 mins later.  He was done for the day and now is scared to try again.  

Edited by 3rdlieutenant
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 11:11 PM, 3rdlieutenant said:

I've recently tried teaching my 7 yr old to ride a mten3, and less than 2 minutes into Lesson #1 the 'dance' started and one of the pedals caught his ankle bone 😩. I convinced him to give it another shot and it happened again 5 mins later.  He was done for the day and now is scared to try again.  

I'm assuming your kid has never ridden any other EUC before? If so, the Mten3 would be one of the more difficult wheels to try to learn on since there is a lot of power in a small nimble body. It would be like trying to learn how to ride a bike on a powerful pocketbike.

Highly recommend training them on a bigger and slower wheel if you can like an Airwheel or Kingsong 14D that is a lot more forgiving when they are dropped.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 12:11 AM, 3rdlieutenant said:

Yup. This and the fact that its TOO responsive, is why I think a bigger wheel is better to learn on . I love my mten, but it hurts me more often than my 18L and I ride it less. I dont know how big a wheel a little kid can muster, but I'd put them on the biggest I could. At least the 7yo is learning to not be a pussy. Kudos for not raising another wuss, we've enough of those already. Have him step back in time and gear up in tee-shirt and shorts... you know, like when WE were kids..Tell him that some of the hardest things to learn are also the most gratifying. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

43 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Yup. This and the fact that its TOO responsive, is why I think a bigger wheel is better to learn on . I love my mten, but it hurts me more often than my 18L and I ride it less. I dont know how big a wheel a little kid can muster, but I'd put them on the biggest I could. At least the 7yo is learning to not be a pussy. Kudos for not raising another wuss, we've enough of those already. Have him step back in time and gear up in tee-shirt and shorts... you know, like when WE were kids..Tell him that some of the hardest things to learn are also the most gratifying. :)

Interesting. I’ve heard learning on the mten3 is the easiest since it seems to read your mind. But of course free mounting is is a total PIA for beginners. 

• Like 2

I wrapped my MTen3 with a towel + masking tape, and let it fly all over the place while learning.  Only the pedals got scraped up.  I don't think the MTen3 is too responsive for learning.  It's not sluggish, but it also doesn't just rocket off.  Biggest problem is the short wheel case puts a lot of torque pressure on the lower leg while learning, I had lumps for days.

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 1