What if....

Unventor

Now I am pretty happy with how the V11 looks and the design is done and the specifications as we know them right now. (Still not having a production end-customer model sold and delivered).

But some wants more, and some have more money. So I just got this crazy and probably stupid idea.

So it goes like this what if.....

You were to add a 2nd layer of batteries to the V11. This would make it wider, so you need wider pedal arms. This would give new options as a 100V (for speed) or 84V (for range). And capacity would be bigger too.

But what if....

If you someway could have a battery reconfigure option in an app that could allow to swap between the 100V to 84V (I understand this is not easy do at all and it has obstacles to do this). But in this way you don't have to choose one or the other at purchase of the wheel. 

What if....

You then add a rim extention from 18" to 19" or 20". That would give you more ground clearance so it both avoids pedal scraping in turns and during off-roading. You could even make pedals a little bigger to allow more biased foot placement (more to the front going uphill/faster or more to the back for downhill or stronger braking).

I know like above is crazy stuff. Odd thing I were smoking anything yesterday (I never do).....but I more or less thought in the lines of:

If I had no boundaries what could be done. How would I  do it to add more flexibility to an already great design imo of the V11.

Just some thoughts. Feel free to spin on this and derail this thread if you like as OP I encourage you to let go of the creative ideas.

So to bring some masters of this what do your guys this (pulling a few names up the hat) @Rehab1 @travsformation @Chriull

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

Sorry @Unventor - no 100V/84V or rim diameter swapping! The voltages from the battery and generated from the motor have to fit. If one changes rim diameter the wheel rpm are changed for some speed.

Would just be easy possibly if one accepts _proportionally_ lower speeds with 84V and the lower rim diameters.

The second layer sounds nice - should need some tinkering to "extend" the shell but one would have then a 3000Wh V11 monster!

It's much much easier to run a cable from the charge ports into an external backpack battery. Sadly it's only range you can increase in this way, however Fantomas rides with one and I assume it helps keeps the voltage from sagging also. Personally I struggle to get over the idea of snagging the cable on a branch or getting knocked off and having the cable snap leaving me with a 2kwh incendiary bomb on my back, but I also hate having to come home and get off my wheel, so I can understand it as a necessary evil for these next few generations of wheels.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Sorry @Unventor - no 100V/84V or rim diameter swapping! The voltages from the battery and generated from the motor have to fit. If one changes rim diameter the wheel rpm are changed for some speed.

Would just be easy possibly if one accepts _proportionally_ lower speeds with 84V and the lower rim diameters.

The second layer sounds nice - should need some tinkering to "extend" the shell but one would have then a 3000Wh V11 monster!

By rim extention I am thinging a same motor But making a rim pat bigger as you see on a KS18XL motor, it has like a "1 big extention compared to motor structure.

So moton is the black part, the rim is the metal silver part. 

ks-s18-1p-800x445.jpg

This would be a construction change at factory as to keep it simple. 

As for battery control I were thinking some electronis control to like shift connection betwee batteries like a "big" switch board from 100V to 84V either done only at full charge or discharged, and requiring a balance rechsarge afterwards. It would require a super smart BMS structure, but that could give reporting at cell leve in an App too.

So timely! I was thinking about making my first post yesterday (been lurking for over a year—sup people!).  I was imagining what a $4000 wheel would be and wanted to ask what you all could imagine. What you describe sounds great.  I would also love to see advancements in footplate customization.

• Like 1

Yes! I think I could go for pedals where the angle is easily adjusted. Perhaps some kind of cam or eccentric, or stepped plate mechanism might do the trick. For a longer cruise, flatter angle is more comfortable. And when feeling sporty, just bring them up a little.

8 hours ago, Chriull said:

Or the upcoming Veteran Sherman which has a similar capacity and supposedly costs between $1500 and $2000.

@Unventor I can definitely see increased battery capacity for extra range, although making the shell wider on a wheel with suspension might not be quite as easy as the MSP vs MSX...

But based on Kuji's review and the acceleration, comfort, etc., this would make a great long-distance wheel :)