Extra buzzer/laser Diagram for any Gotway

Sebrios

On 6/12/2020 at 1:22 AM, Sebrios said:

An average 9V battery has 300Wh/h ... if you use 4 buzzers @ 30mA each, you have 10 hours of CONSTANT beeping. thats ALOTTT considering every second you hear the beeps, it only takes 0.2secs of actual beeping.. ... (10*60)/0.2secs = 3.000 beeps so changing the battery every...6months or so, should be more than enough

300Wh/h? You mean 300Watts (Wh/h=W) i am guessing you mean 300Wh?

Anyway 30mA * 9V = 0.27W

If battery is 300Wh (aka 300Wh/9V = 33Ah...that is a LOT for a SINGLE 9V Alkaline...like graphene killer 9V :-) ) and it consumes 30mA that would give you 33Ah/0.03A = 1100 hours of beeping.

Somehow...that is "a bit to much" ...45days of continuous beeping :-)

I think something is off in your data though with the Wh/h (which means WATTS).

But regardless, when battery DOES run out (after a long time..making you unaware) and You are not aware...thats when bad stuff happens :-/

A more fair calculation:

Typically a 9V alkaline is around 5-600mAh

(Not 33Ah = 33 000mAh)

With say 600mAh / 30mA you would get 20hours of beeping constantly, so degradation would set in before it was out in a few years. Problem is the same...when it stops beeping....ouch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-volt_battery

Edited by Boogieman

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 12:20 AM, Delmeekc said:

Won't it beep when it's turned on/off so your know if the battery is ok or not.

It might beep when you turn on...as battery has been "resting 24h"....but after that the sag sets in (when its on the limit)...and thats when you normally ride.

But you could honk every now and then making sure you hear the beep :)

And of course if the crash doesnt occur the ssme time the batt goes out, you would hear it not beeping turning it off.

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

Can't you get rechargeable 9v cells now that have a little lipo or something inside, just a thought as could take a socket to the case to top it up.  Think they even maybe charged by usb. Not sure but maybe worth a look if someone is thinking of doing the mod. I'm leaving mine as is external as hasn't missed a beat yet.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:28 PM, Delmeekc said:

Can't you get rechargeable 9v cells now that have a little lipo or something inside, just a thought as could take a socket to the case to top it up.  Think they even maybe charged by usb. Not sure but maybe worth a look if someone is thinking of doing the mod. I'm leaving mine as is external as hasn't missed a beat yet.

You would have to get a 9V + charge voltage. If you could find that in the wheel.. You don't need the battery :) (usb is 5V). I am no electronic expert but i guess it would be possible.to.upconvert 5v to 9v also for DC with a transformer?

Edited by Boogieman

2 hours ago, Delmeekc said:

Did a quick search and usb rechargeable 9v battery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VKN5TP9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.dj9EbF22FHZ3

Cool, so they built in a transformer of some kind I guess. Though i also found this info further down. 6-8.4V

Screenshot_20200625-155338_Chrome.jpg

But with this one the battery could be skipped entirely

https://www.tradera.com/item/1708/383408857/usb-till-dc-9v-plugg-5-5x2-5-mm?shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwltH3BRB6EiwAhj0IUA3LZD7GXnevKVFudqVChvMiWRL5g7WuzVfJzCyqDrVQE7UfoRnoRhoC780QAvD_BwE

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

Im like 80% sure you can connect all the system to the usb port. As I mentioned before, I was going to do it, but then I saw that the 9V battery still has 9 solid V's  so decided to leave it as is.

Super super happy with the mod.

For some reason, after reading some posts here, I thought I wasn't hearing the beeps some times (40mph and no beeps) so what I did is that I turned the Alarm 1 and 2 back on, and took a fast run.. That made the buzzers sound all the time.. When I came back, I saw my top speed at around 39.5 and never stopped hearing the beeps.. Which confirmed to me that mod works like a charm 💪💪 with single buzzer I wouldn't hear anything

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can't hear the beeps on your MSX/MSP/MSv3/MSXrs? Worry no more with this beeper mod created and designed by me! Just print it, and replace the old one. Note: you will forgo the USB port but I've never used it in the 2 years I've been riding and would rather hear the beeps. Follow me on Instagram and YouTube at FlyboyEUC for updates and installation videos.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/3232823916815549/

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 8:53 PM, agronick said:

@Sebrios can you explain why you need the diodes and resistors? What would happen if you spliced a transistor into the current beeper and wired it to the gate and drain on a transistor and connected a battery with a few other beepers to source and drain?

@agronick

diode is to prevent the buzzers leaking power when they are "off"

and resistors are because if you dont have them, then the IBE is high enough (even with no current flowing) to turn on the transistor. hence, you will have the extra buzzers beeping all the time...and draining current.

Update to my mod: 9V battery still reads 8.7V or so...  starting to think you dont have to change it for over a year of use.

For that only reason, I still didnt connect it to the usb power ;)

havent missed a beep (I think) and max current speed (on flat ground) is 70kmh (43.7mph) remember I'm only 57kg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, agronick said:

@Sebrios I think I'm going to have to take the plunge and do it. I connected another buzzer in parallel and its mildly louder and distorted, still nowhere close to being loud enough to hear it while riding.

Cool.

Let me know if you need any help. It really is easier than it looks. Post your results ;)

The parts came in. I'm trying to figure this out. Never really had to do anything like this before. I don't get how the diagram makes a complete circuit through the buzzers. It looks like the positive end goes through diode, into the buzzers, and back into the positive end of the battery.

I played with the parts and got the buzzer turning on from the 9v when I hook a AA up to the transistor. I wonder what it would do if I hooked just this up to the wheel. I really butchered this breadboard. Good thing I ordered 2.

Edited by agronick

On 9/8/2020 at 5:49 PM, agronick said:

The parts came in. I'm trying to figure this out. Never really had to do anything like this before. I don't get how the diagram makes a complete circuit through the buzzers. It looks like the positive end goes through diode, into the buzzers, and back into the positive end of the battery.

I played with the parts and got the buzzer turning on from the 9v when I hook a AA up to the transistor. I wonder what it would do if I hooked just this up to the wheel. I really butchered this breadboard. Good thing I ordered 2.

No worries. Its easy once you start going.

To help you getting started, I suggest you asign 2 holes where you connect the breadboard with the original buzzer cable.

Start from there.. Always follow the positive route. So, from the positive first hole, throw the first resistor there.

From the second end of the resistor, connect it to the negative hole... First resistor check!

Now, keep going, from the same "second end" of the resistor, put the second resistor, and keep going.

Here's a video for you to understand how it all works.

Please let me know if you need more help. Its easy when you start understanding. Don't give up its well worth it... 

• Like 1

I haven't used bread board either. I do want to give this little amplifier a go. I won't be able to for a while.

I was wondering if it was possible to wire up in-ear headphones directly. Hardwired direct to head you know, never going to miss a beep that way surely. Bluetooth can drop out, wiring something in solid would be great. 

I would love to be able to mount an LED or something to the visor of my helmet that lights up with the beeps.

The next rainy day I'm going to play around with it some more. I will say the buzzers in the parts list are too quiet. They don't make a beep sound either. More like a buzz. Almost like a quack. Also one part is missing. You need wire. I'm not sure what guage the beepers are. I ordered some 22 and it will be here tomorrow.

32 minutes ago, agronick said:

The next rainy day I'm going to play around with it some more. I will say the buzzers in the parts list are too quiet. They don't make a beep sound either. More like a buzz. Almost like a quack. Also one part is missing. You need wire. I'm not sure what guage the beepers are. I ordered some 22 and it will be here tomorrow.

Why don't you try what I did with the original buzzer and put it through a side case. No parts needed apart from a plastic disc, a couple of screws and a cone cutter.  Worst case you have a few holes in the side case.

Edited by Delmeekc
Corrected some words

Yeah I don't want to cut holes. I barely want to cut wires. I stripped off a tiny bit of insulation and put the new wire under the old wire. Seems like I'll have to cut it to get the diode where it needs to be though.

@Sebrios I still can't figure out the diagram you posted though. I can't tell where the + is from the motherboard and don't see how the diode gets used. It looks like its running parallel to the new beepers. I don't see how it would come out of the beepers and go back to the positive side of the 9v.

Edit: oh, is the diode only needed if you have switches?

Edit: heres a shitty ms paint rendition on what I'm thinking about doing. My questions

• Will this work?
  • Which one of the resistors do I put before the new beepers to get them down to 20ma and why do I need a resistor on the old beeper's circuit?

untitled.png

Edited by agronick
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, agronick said:

Wish I did this in time. Had a cut out at 34 mph. Couldn't hear the beeps. Leg and kneecap are shattered. Surgery tomorrow. If I ever ride again don't think it will be a Gotway.

That is so brutal, really sorry to hear. Makes me question how much the fun on these is worth...just hard to beat the feeling you get when riding. Guess I'll be keeping my 16X at low(ish) speeds for now even though I know it would be easy to go faster.

You're a gear guy (ATGATT) too right? If your knee pads didn't hold up, can I ask which brand/model you used? 

• Like 1