ULTRA Mark III KS 14" 800W 840Wh Wheel Coming Soon!

Jason McNeil

I guess that could be me soon, since I apparently don't have the self restraint that you do - I just bought one.

Not sure if it'll mean anything, but I'm local to Jason's new shop, so maybe I can get you some answers - TBC...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Jason in Miami or is he still in Europe? His website ewheels.com only has a European phone number listed...Is there a way to call his US store or is it only online?

The wait is over!

We now have 45 of the new 840Wh Wheels in stock. Some initial observations :

• Weight is identical to the previous Mark II batch at 14.6kg or 32.18lbs in old currency
  • Finally these Wheels have a casing that appears just as water resistant as the best of the other brands—seals (instead of silicon polymer) around the side panels, a touch panel that's integrated into the shell, there is the slight loss in the removal of the exposed USB port Achilles's heal
  • The fast charger (5A/360W) is really of first-class build quality. When compared to the previous 4A fast-charger, noise is reduced by 75%, has proper labeling & perhaps most exciting of all supports dual 110-240v voltage
  • Although the Wheels is brilliant, the same cannot be said for the App, it's a bit amateurish; but once the horizontal calibration, ride mode & speed settings are set, you shouldn't be too dependent on it
  • Default speed is set to 20kph?! With the unlock code, the owner can set this all the way up to 60kph! Obviously the design speed is around the 30-35kph mark, so anything beyond this is venturing into dangerous territory
  • If a lift test, the App claims the Wheel spins up to 47kph before the motor cuts out
  • Much more to come, but here are a couple photos to satiate the Wheel lust!  

20151203_181951.thumb.jpg.d0ee1131947495

20151203_181536.thumb.jpg.f1f5769b2d1545

20151203_181138.jpg.01591174ac8aacd5fc4a

20151203_125956.thumb.jpg.fed5cdc6ea7585

20151203_124815.thumb.jpg.7992b7b419cf29

•  

Lol I'm still only going to set my KS to 32 kph (20 mph) max. There is NO way I will ride past that (Plus I don't even ride at 32 since that's unsafe as well heh.. so 25 kph for me). It's just not safe. Also they shouldn't allow people to set it to 60 kph if the wheel can't handle it. That's just dangerous.

1 minute ago, fearedbliss said:

Lol I'm still only going to set my KS to 32 kph (20 mph) max. There is NO way I will ride past that (Plus I don't even ride at 32 side that's unsafe too hah.. 25 kph for me). It's just not safe. Also they shouldn't allow people to set it to 60 kph if the wheel can't handle it. That's just dangerous.

I am a bit confused as to the speed limit. @Jason McNeil, it was stated earlier that the max speed will be set by kingsong at 32 at which point there is a tilt back whcih the user cannot change. Also kingsong confirmed it. Are you saying they didnt do that and there is no speed limit at which it tilts back? The software may be a completely different thing. Software may allow you to enter 60kph as max, but its virtually meaningless if the tilt back is set at 32 and will not allow you to accelerate higher anyway. Please confirm. Thanks

I got this info regarding the speed limit settings from Jason today:

"A bit of an update on the speed settings & the App: the interface has no validation, so if any of the values are outside the permitted range, the system defaults to 18/19/20kph settings. Through quite a bit of trial & error found the combination that seems that work best is 28/29/30kph. Hopefully this will save you some frustration.

-Jason"

unnamed.png

Ok, Jason got mine to the door today! The packaging was in a condition we have come to expect in the US, and included the following:

• The fan charger w/ separate power cord.
  • A bag containing spare glass fuses (for the charger.)
  • Nylon training strap.
  • The EU, nicely done in all black.

The charger is substantial, not cheap. It has a power switch in back, and two lights on the front panel - one red indicates power to the charger, the other, multi-color, shows charge status. Charging starts on red, switches to green. The fan does not run constantly - temperature controlled.

My phone is Android 4.1.1., and I was unable to install the apk - I got an error message "...unable to parse the package..." I tried pairing bluetooth (HTC EVO 4G lte) and found "King Song." That was the bluetooth speakers, and I was able to pair, connect, and play music on the EU. I found another "KSxxx..." but could not pair that one, which turned out to be the EU.

My sister showed-up, so I stole her new iOS phone, downloaded the app from the link in Jason's post-sale email, and immediately connected to the EU. I can't remember the exact name, but noticed that the iPhone name included extra letters which Android truncated. The app immediately connected, displayed live gauge readings, and I was able to change ride modes. I picked the stiffest "Play" mode I believe. Next, I checked the speed settings, and they were locked out. I checked "Settings" and found the ISN, and a place to enter the unlock code. I emailed Jason with the code, and had the unlock code, and the above speed recomendations (28, 29, 30 kph) within 15 minutes. I learned the following:

• The first iteration of the app only remembers 28, 29, 30 (and 30 for tilt-back.) Anything higher and it forgets, then goes back to the defaults when you reopen speed settings. I do not know if anything set higher will set for at least the current session. I'm guessing no for now. If I set 28, 29, 30, and say 31 for tilt-back - it would reset to defaults next time the Speed Settings screen displayed.

I played around with the soft touch buttons, turning the bluetooth speakers on and off (verbally spoken through the speakers.) I also managed to turn the headlight and tail light on and off, but I don't have the button presses understood yet. It'll just take some playing to figure it out.

Unfortunately, it's been raining for a few days, and is not expected to let up through the weekend, so any ride reports are on hold. While I feel confident it can handle some wet weather, well... it's new, lol. Stay tuned for more...

3 minutes ago, h00ktern said:

Ok, Jason got mine to the door today! The packaging was in a condition we have come to expect in the US, and included the following:

• The fan charger w/ separate power cord.
  • A bag containing spare glass fuses (for the charger.)
  • The EU, nicely done in all black.

The charger is substantial, not cheap. It has a power switch in back, and two lights on the front panel - one red indicates power to the charger, the other, multi-color, shows charge status. Charging starts on red, switches to green. The fan does not run constantly.

My phone is Android 4.1.1., and I was unable to install the apk - I got an error message "...unable to parse the package..." I tried pairing bluetooth (HTC EVO 4G lte) and found "King Song." That was the bluetooth speakers, and I was able to pair, connect, and play music on the EU. I found another "KSxxx..." but could not pair that one, which turned out to be the EU.

My sister showed-up, so I stole her new iOS phone, downloaded the app from the link in Jason's post-sale email, and immediately connected to the EU. I can't remember the exact name, but noticed that the iPhone name included extra letters which Android truncated. The app immediately connected, displayed live gauge readings, and I was able to change ride modes. I picked the stiffest "Play" mode I believe. Next, I checkdd the speed settings, and they were locked out. I checked "Settings" and found the ISN, and a place to enter the unlock code. I emailed Jason with the code, and had the unlock code, and the above speed recomendations (28, 29, 30 kph.) I learned the following:

• The first iteration of the app only remembers 28, 29, 30 (and 30 for tilt-back.) Anything higher and it forgets, then goes back to the defaults when you reopen speed settings. I do not know if anything set higher will set for at least the current session. I'm guessing no for now. If I set 28, 29, 30, and say 31 for tilt-back - it would reset to defaults next time the Speed Settings screen displayed.

I played around with the soft touch buttons, turning the bluetooth speakers on and off (verbally spoken through the speakers.) I also managed to turn the headlight and tail light on and off, but I don't have the button presses understood yet. It'll just take some playing to figure it out.

Unfortunately, it's been raining for a few days, and is not expected to let up through the weekend, so any ride reports are on hold. While I feel confident it can handle some wet weather, well... it's new, lol. Stay tuned for more...

Thanks for posting this. Its a little more clear now. So when you reopen the app it takes it back to 28'29'30 but hopefully if you dont use the app after you set a higher speed, i hope the wheel will retain the higher speed? I guess a road test will tell...

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Thanks for posting this. Its a little more clear now. So when you reopen the app it takes it back to 28'29'30 but hopefully if you dont use the app after you set a higher speed, i hope the wheel will retain the higher speed? I guess a road test will tell...

After unlocking, the highest Speed Settings that can be saved are 28, 29, 30, 30. I do not know if you can set, say 30 across the board. It does appear that if you set anything above 30, the app will accept the key strokes, but it appears to trigger a reset to the defaults (locked Speed Settings.)

I can't yet say if anything above 30 will stay set for the duration of the power cycle, or better still, until the next time you open the Speed Settings. I suspect the answer is currently "no," and that is why Jason gave the description he did, with the 28, 29, 30 settings.

I understand where you're coming from. I love my MSuper2, and have bounced the 40kph app speed, so far without issue. I don't cruise there, but like the fact that there is some assurance that comes with the ability to tap it. I usually stay around 30-35kph during the day, and sometimes find myself cruising at 20kph at night. I would be stoked if I could reach 35kph on this 14". That said, I don't think 35 on a 14" is the same as it is on an 18".

Lets just give KS and Jason some time to work out the inevitable bugs, and see what the next app release addresses. 30kph is still not that bad;);) The real benefit of this release is the battery capacity.

The App is a bit rubbish, I've giving KS a bit of grief over it ;) The good news is that they're well aware of the manifold deficiencies of this element & are actively working on a more professional grade version—if only @esaj's App was compatible with this model...
About the speed, it might be possible to increase beyond 30kph later, the spec Tina gave me was 32kph for this batch.   

When it was resetting the parameters back to 18/19/20kph because they were outside of range, there were a couple hours where I was pretty worried that something had gone seriously wrong in the QC process; I produced a checklist for them including this functionality, to ensure nothing was overlooked before shipment. 

6 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

if only @esaj's App was compatible with this model...

Funny you mentioned that. When android didn't work, and before big sis showed-up, I thought, "what the hell...it couldn't hurt."

No. It didn't work, but why do I suspect you know that Jason :lol::lol:

1 hour ago, h00ktern said:

I would be stoked if I could reach 35kph on this 14". That said, I don't think 35 on a 14" is the same as it is on an 18".

Yeah I havent ridden the ks mark 3 but ill go out on a limb and say anything over 30 kph is not safe on a 14" wheel. Yes, if you're on a track that's perfectly smooth and flat, you can go as fast as you want on a 14 16 or 18 inch wheel. Real world roads are never perfect though, and I feel like if you hit most bumps at 35 kph on a 14 inch wheel, you're airborne.

1 minute ago, logos122 said:

Yeah I havent ridden the ks mark 3 but ill go out on a limb and say anything over 30 kph is not safe one on a 14" wheel. Yes, if you're on a track that perfectly smooth and flat, you can go as fast as you want a 14 16 or 18 inch wheel. Real world roads are never perfect though, and I feel like most bumps at 35 kph on a 14 inch wheel and you're airborne.

True. But its kind of nice to have that ability to accelerate faster if you need to:) all kinds of scenarious come to mind, like a group of gangsters trying to knock you down and you need to run away from them. Technically the world sprint record is about 37 kph, so you need to be able to ride 38:) althought, the chances of the world sprint champion chasing you on the street are quite slim:)

Just now, Cloud said:

True. But its kind of nice to have that ability to accelerate faster if you need to:) all kinds of scenarious come to mind, like a group of gangsters trying to knock you down and you need to run away from them. Technically the world sprint record is about 37 kph, so you need to be able to ride 38:) althought, the chances of the world sprint champion chasing you on the street are quite slim:)

Yeah if Hussain bolt is chasing after you on your EU, it's time to really reexamine your life haha

Archived