ULTRA Mark III KS 14" 800W 840Wh Wheel Coming Soon!

Jason McNeil

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted this in the KS forum, 680 w/hr thread by accident. I meant to post it here:

----------------------------------------

The weather finally broke today, and I got to run one full charge, down to limp-home two bars (which is basically a single light of four on the MSuper.)

I only got 2-3 miles (from the change to two-bars from four) before the two-bar, flashing ten-bar indication came on. From the 2-bar down, I noticed more frequent beeps, at lowering speeds, to where it would beep at anything over a jogging pace. The last 1/2 mile was babied at a walking pace.

Below is incorrect information - these are not LiPo packs - my apologies.:wacko:

• Now, before people start freaking out, understand that Li-Pos need to be broken in several cycles before you get the most out of them. Consider the visual of repeatedly stretching a brand new rubber band. It takes a few stretch cycles to "loosen-up" the rubber band. LiPos need to be "exercised" this same way for peak potential, and longevity. I broke the rule today, but I knew what was going on, and I wanted to see how the firmware handled dwindling battery capacity (voltage.) Also, LiPos recover some voltage as they cool.

I can't give a technical review of the first charge use, because I was "riding blind" with no app/apk. I used the 28, 29, 30, 30 tiltback settings, and just bounced to the beeps every so often, occasionally holding there for short runs (I wanted to work the chemistry in the battery, drawing amps, then backing off to let it cool/recover.)

I can't give a range either, due to absence of an app. I wouldn't anyway, at this stage, since the battery isn't "broken-in" yet. I will get a range/speed estimate after I get 5-10 charge cycles.

Also does not apply, due to my incorrect LiPo belief:

• So my point in responding - first five charges or so, come in when your charge status first switches to two-bars. Let the eu cool down (an hour or so) before putting it back on charge.

As Jason stated, and my observation, the eu will respond to dwindling voltage (state of charge) by first beeping more frequently, and then earlier (lower speed) before the tilt-back begins to kick-in (not at max app speed.) From here on down, the beeping will occur at slower and slower speeds, down to walking pace, and coincide with the state of charge warning (2 to 10 flashing.)

PS. Uhhhmmm. Don't forget the Charge Doctor is limited to 3 amps max. I just smoked it with the 5 amp quick charger ;)

PS update:

A new Charge Doctor is going to be released soon, developed for electric bicycles, and will be able to handle up to 10A current. It will handle Jason's 5A fast charger just fine. This was via email response from Fred, when he confirmed my new order.

On 15 ноября 2015 г., 10:15:10, Jason McNeil said:

5648a0b723e5b_KS840WhCells.jpg.34e000a2d 5648a0bb20cbd_KS840WhPack2.jpg.5826a237d

@Jason McNeil question for you.

Which batteries are in your Ultras? MG1 or MJ1? The two pictures you attached, the green cells showing MJ1 but the label on the blue battery pack says MG1. Which ones ended up incorporated in the wheels? Thanks!

4 hours ago, Cloud said:

@Jason McNeil question for you.

Which batteries are in your Ultras? MG1 or MJ1? The two pictures you attached, the green cells showing MJ1 but the label on the blue battery pack says MG1. Which ones ended up incorporated in the wheels? Thanks!

Ha, good catch! KS need to update the stickers on the battery pack. These are the MJ1s, vastly superior in capacity, charge rate, internal resistance & even peak power.

Archived