Electric Unicycle Regulations in Germany

romdel

Hello! Maybe I didn't search deep enough then please accept my apologies...so I'd be ok for a link as an answer...

I'm wondering what are the Regulations affecting Electric Unicycles in Germany? I live in the Frankfurt area. I'm interested on Ninebot One C+ and E+ if that matters to the answer.  

if not included in the link or answer, I'd be interested if I get an eUnicycle, how to be legally plying the main roads, or small roads, or side roads, or bike lanes, or pedestrian lanes, or walking or jog paths in some greens/forests or along rivers....

Thanks guys. More power.

They are illegal in Germany. You are only allowed to ride them on private property. Some EUC riders in Berlin have been stopped by the police and fined by authorIties. It's a sad situation. I ride solely through parks now, which is also not allowed and hope for not being fined again. 

Edited by ScooterB

47 minutes ago, ScooterB said:

They are illegal in Germany. You are only allowed to ride them on private property. Some EUC riders in Berlin have been stopped by the police and fined by authorIties. It's a sad situation. I ride solely through parks now, which is also not allowed and hope for not being fined again. 

I sympathize with you guys in Germany. Just get a faster wheel and always practice eagle eyes. When you spot police, swiftly and quietly make a clean getaway. I doubt they'll run after you, not like you're dangerous criminals on the loose!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8.11.2015, 15:40:38, xamino said:

Sadly no. Strictly speaking they are technically illegal to use on public properties currently. Because they are motorized and faster than 6 km/h (4? I keep forgetting.) they theoretically require registration and insurance, which is hard to get as no papers exist for them yet.

That said I haven't been stopped yet, although I do make it a point of riding where less police is present. No need to risk it. Additionally you are very unlikely to get stopped somewhere in the country side.

It is high time the German state learned to react faster to new things in better, correcter ways – "Neuland" lässt grüßen.

For everybody in Germany this might be interesting: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1906-pflichtversicherung-in-deutschland-rechtliche-besonderheiten/

In this post I wrote about the situation here and how to get an ensureance without paying. I already did this trick for my electric longboards. :-) Enjoy reading! 

• Upvote 1

The only official documents I found are linked on this page: http://www.unicycling.de/german/unicycle/unilegal.html

According to that, it's allowed to use EUCs on footways - and even on bike paths if they have everything the regulations for bikes prescribe (guess we'll have to mount a bell on our wrists ...).

Since that article is quite old - is there a link to a more recent official court/ministry ruling regarding this?

Best, Achim.

Hi @Achim63, the documents mentioned in your link referring to conventional unicycles only. I believe the electric motor of an euc makes it a completly different kettle of fish. Although, I am sure euc's have to comply with the requirements mentioned in the posted link anyway. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Noam said:

Hi @Achim63, the documents mentioned in your link referring to conventional unicycles only. I believe the electric motor of an euc makes it a completly different kettle of fish. Although, I am sure euc's have to comply with the requirements mentioned in the posted link anyway. 

*facepalm* I didn't realize that. So I guess I'll have to be careful not to run (wheel?) into a police control as I intend to use the EUC to commute.

Maybe this site is of interest to German EUC users:

LUMEE ... Legal Unterwegs Mit Elektrischen Einraedern... http://lumee.org/

BTW, legally on the road with a personal light electric vehicle in Germany is possible, but you will need two wheels:

http://www.forca-sports.de/bossman/

Bossman-S-1.jpg

And this is what makes it special....

Bossman-S-11.jpg

Best regards,

Andy

Edited by Andy_T

On ‎04‎.‎12‎.‎2015‎ ‎18‎:‎23‎:‎50, Achim63 said:

The only official documents I found are linked on this page: http://www.unicycling.de/german/unicycle/unilegal.html

According to that, it's allowed to use EUCs on footways - and even on bike paths if they have everything the regulations for bikes prescribe (guess we'll have to mount a bell on our wrists ...).

Since that article is quite old - is there a link to a more recent official court/ministry ruling regarding this?

Best, Achim.

It's all about self balancing and not having a mechanical brake. EUs must be fitted in MobHV.

• 4 months later...

As far as I know, nothing is happening. In Germany EUCs are only allowed on private property. It’s forbidden to ride them on streets, sidewalks and parks. Some riders have been fined others were let go. Some managed to get an insurance plate (despite ensurance companies not being clear about actual insurance, some denied the ensurance), which lowers the possible degree of penalty. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I enquired about the current state on EUCs in Germany at the BASt and BMVI (in German) in this other thread:

General Electric Unicycle Forums -> Local Group Meet Ups -> German Discussion Group

Replies (in German) are also posted. Summarizing the content of the replies would be "we are working on it ..." nothing specific, no time line.

Edited by RenaissanceMan
proper link to previous posts

• 2 years later...
On 11/8/2015 at 1:20 PM, OliverH said:

There's no category in Germans national regulation yet. I just prepared an overview, which is in review and should be published next week on eWheels.org. We like the eWheels to be integrated in MobHV (Mobilitätshilfenverordnung).

Hi Oliver/Guys!

I heard about new regulations coming out (mid of 2019?). Are there specifics to EUCs being roadworthy/roadlegal?

Thanks all.

1 hour ago, romdel said:

Hi Oliver/Guys!

I heard about new regulations coming out (mid of 2019?). Are there specifics to EUCs being roadworthy/roadlegal?

Thanks all.

To be short: Just forget it. Self balancing vehicles without steering bar (like hoverboards or EUCs) have been excluded from those oncoming regulations. We are outlaw riders from now on...

Feels like joining an MC... Born to be wild!:rolleyes:

Edited by Mimetic Polyalloy