EUC friendly countries

Jurgen

I would like to travel with my EUC, but apparently there are more and more countries where they are being banned (out of the public road).

How would you rate your country on political EUC friendliness, on a score from 1-10?

Im in Melb Australia living and riding in the CBD.

At this stage here, its all still relatively new, so its more of a "novelty" value by those looking on....Im not sure they see them atm as Personal Transportation Vehicles, as as such are letting people ride them without issue.

Now obviously atm, there are not many around here, and if sidewalks were clogged with them I guess at that stage decisions would need to be made, but for me atm, Im getting many many who just look at the Bot and try to work out how they work.

Melbourne is also a GREEN city, with the Govt very concious of doing things environmentaly, so Im sure that in time and with riders doing the correct thing in regards traffic rules, lights, pedestrians etc all will be well here.

hope this has helped you

8/10 bearing in mind that its all pretty new here

New South Wales, Australia have just confirmed it's "Nanny" state status by Banning them in all public areas. It's the same with Segways, they say because they physically don't have brakes they don't met Australian design rules for Vehicles. The Transport minister today decreed that AirBoards (a big seller for Xmas) are now Banned but no mention of EUC's but the cops will still get you with a $637 AU fine. http://www.skynews.com.au/culture/offbeat/2015/11/24/nsw-roads-minister-bans--hoverboards-.html?cid=BP_ARTICLE_1_NSW_BANS_HOVERBOARDS_241115

10 hours ago, Phil Wright said:
10 hours ago, Phil Wright said:

At this stage here, its all still relatively new, so its more of a "novelty" value by those looking on....Im not sure they see them atm as Personal Transportation Vehicles, as as such are letting people ride them without issue.

Now obviously atm, there are not many around here, and if sidewalks were clogged with them I guess at that stage decisions would need to be made, but for me atm, Im getting many many who just look at the Bot and try to work out how they work.

Melbourne is also a GREEN city, with the Govt very concious of doing things environmentaly, so Im sure that in time and with riders doing the correct thing in regards traffic rules, lights, pedestrians etc all will be well here.

hope this has helped you

hope this has helped you

5 hours ago, Phil Howell said:

New South Wales, Australia have just confirmed it's "Nanny" state status by Banning them in all public areas. It's the same with Segways, they say because they physically don't have brakes they don't met Australian design rules for Vehicles. The Transport minister today decreed that AirBoards (a big seller for Xmas) are now Banned but no mention of EUC's but the cops will still get you with a $637 AU fine. http://www.skynews.com.au/culture/offbeat/2015/11/24/nsw-roads-minister-bans--hoverboards-.html?cid=BP_ARTICLE_1_NSW_BANS_HOVERBOARDS_241115

It looks like travelling around in really big countries is going to be 'patchwork', until there's a national regulation some day.

Do you have different Transport ministers for the differrent regions, or will this become national?

2 hours ago, Sholphin02 said:

No problem at all in France. Atm it is quite new and cops might be surprised but no risk of fee for the time being.

9/10 in Paris

Excellent, we'll probably be travelling south to Portugal this year.

Now I still  need the information about Spain and Portugal and I'm good to go.

6 hours ago, Phil Howell said:

Wowww... The article only states two wheeled ones?

If they are all banned, there goes my $1250 that I invested in one to ride to work so I don't have to use the car.

Starting the thread without ‘showing mine’ :)is an ommission , didn’t have the time to look things up. Sorry about that.

I live in Belgium, in small village. Apart form stares from adults, and whoaw from adolescents no issues :D

Up to 18KmH an EUC is probably to be considered to fall in the same category as an electric wheelchairs and Segways, above that you shouldn’t ride the pavement and the hassle start:

An EUC is not an e-bike: only 1 wheel, more that 250W motor; but if regulations would change speed would be limited to 25KhH (above: licence plate, insurance, helmet, drivers licence, active braking with a backup system, CE certification type approval). This keeps me from exchanging my IPS LHOTZ for the latest 30KmH version.

So if you ever ride your EUC in Belgium the right answer is: “yes Mr PO, no Mr PO, limited to 18KmH, Sir!”

19 minutes ago, Michael David de Gans said:

Electric unicycles will be legal in 2016 in Belgium. Same rules as for Segways. Had no trouble yet in the Netherlands and I hope they follow their neighbours example of changing the traffic regulations to fit the electric unicycle right next to the Segway.

Interesting, where did you find this?

29 minutes ago, Jurgen said:

Starting the thread without ‘showing mine’ :)is an ommission , didn’t have the time to look things up. Sorry about that.

I live in Belgium, in small village. Apart form stares from adults, and whoaw from adolescents no issues :D

Up to 18KmH an EUC is probably to be considered to fall in the same category as an electric wheelchairs and Segways, above that you shouldn’t ride the pavement and the hassle start:

An EUC is not an e-bike: only 1 wheel, more that 250W motor; but if regulations would change speed would be limited to 25KhH (above: licence plate, insurance, helmet, drivers licence, active braking with a backup system, CE certification type approval). This keeps me from exchanging my IPS LHOTZ for the latest 30KmH version.

So if you ever ride your EUC in Belgium the right answer is: “yes Mr PO, no Mr PO, limited to 18KmH, Sir!”

Interesting, where did you find this?

FutureWheelen toegestaan Belgie Brussel.jpeg

My thoughts on all the "legal not legal" talk is that I will continue to ride it with respect to all other road users until Im pulled up and asked not to by Authorities.....

Atm in Melb we have bikes, skateboards, single wheel skateboards, inline skaters all buzzing around, so Im thinking currently that my 9BO is seen as just another one of them...

all good this end

1 hour ago, Phil Wright said:

My thoughts on all the "legal not legal" talk is that I will continue to ride it with respect to all other road users until Im pulled up and asked not to by Authorities.....

Atm in Melb we have bikes, skateboards, single wheel skateboards, inline skaters all buzzing around, so Im thinking currently that my 9BO is seen as just another one of them...

all good this end

It's just common sense that with more respect for each other there more than enough room for everybody in the public space, without a need to regulate everything by the nanny state. For me the EUC is a part of my personal expression and freedom (like some people have big SUVs to go shopping in the city center), and it's even ecofriendly. It's incomprehensible that they're banned in some countries.

In my part of Canada (province of Quebec) the actual legislation is a real mess. The government is reviewing the whole thing. Right now, electric "motorcycle" are wether tolerated or accepted on walkways. it's the same for the four wheels vehicles for physically challenged persons.

Therefore, I don't expect any problems for the EU. On the other hand, I think they should forbid the hoverboards since those vehicles are not fit for use on public ways.

Bleu9mm

Here in Singapore all motorised vehicles (inclusive electric bikes, scooters and euc's) are banned from Parks and Parkconnectors. We do have plenty of public parks on the island and most of them are interconnected by those Parkconnectors. 

However, riding on the pavement is perfectly fine and legal, making euc's and other electric mobility devices very, very popular here. Actually, nobody is giving you the "whoa" here anymore, its more like the "yawn".

In Hong Kong, I hear on the other hand, euc's are banned.

Interesting to hear that in Singapore EUCs are considered motorised vehicles, while in some countries they are considered to be toys and not allowed nor on the road nor on the sidewalk but can be used in a public space like a parc. Quite subjective and arbitrary.

thanks for your input

They are legal in Washington D.C. and no cop will hassle you. It's perfectly ok to ride on the sidewalks, the bike lanes, and the roads (except highways).

13 hours ago, Jurgen said:

Interesting to hear that in Singapore EUCs are considered motorised vehicles, while in some countries they are considered to be toys and not allowed nor on the road nor on the sidewalk but can be used in a public space like a parc. Quite subjective and arbitrary.

thanks for your input

Just to be precise. For the Park Authorities it is not so much the euc's or scooters or e-bikes, they are more concerned about the parks as such. Its is more about maintaining a quiet and calm environmet in the parks and to provide a retreat for the 5,6 mio people living on our small island. Where larger countries do have rural areas, forests or the great outdoors, we only have our parks. And so the citizen here are using the parks more frequently and more regularly as the citizen in european countries according to my observation.

On the other hand, I am not aware that the Land Transport Authority has come up with any classification for euc's. 

Here in Chile transport ministry has just issued a regulation that sets the conditions of use for all types of electric vehicles. In the case of bicycles are limited to 250 watts and 25 km/h. The same regulation says wheelchairs, hoverboards and other smaller electric vehicles has no limitations or usage. Then a Msuper with 1000 watts and 40 km/h has no limitations, but a bicycle with a motor with more than 250 watts falls into the same requirements as a motorcycle. Bureaucrats, I love them!

On Sat Nov 28 16:04:22, DiasDePlaya said:
22 hours ago, Roue Libre said:

Someone know if it's allowed in London, UK ? I might go there soon, I'm still wondering if I should take my EUC

Here in Chile transport ministry has just issued a regulation that sets the conditions of use for all types of electric vehicles. In the case of bicycles are limited to 250 watts and 25 km/h. The same regulation says wheelchairs, hoverboards and other smaller electric vehicles has no limitations or usage. Then a Msuper with 1000 watts and 40 km/h has no limitations, but a bicycle with a motor with more than 250 watts falls into the same requirements as a motorcycle. Bureaucrats, I love them!ehttiiti

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1476-uk-eucers-share-your-police-run-ins-here/

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the law actually passed yet, but electric unicycles will be legal to ride in Finland 1.1.2016.

It will be legal to ride with pedestrians if you are riding <15km/h and with bikes if you are riding <25km/h. You will need a bell, (reflectors?) and helmet. I don't know about the helmet if you are riding <15km/h with pedestrians and there's already law to use helmet's with bike's but it is not enforced and I don't use one.

3 hours ago, MarkoMarjamaa said:

I don't know if the law actually passed yet, but electric unicycles will be legal to ride in Finland 1.1.2016.

It will be legal to ride with pedestrians if you are riding <15km/h and with bikes if you are riding <25km/h. You will need a bell, (reflectors?) and helmet. I don't know about the helmet if you are riding <15km/h with pedestrians and there's already law to use helmet's with bike's but it is not enforced and I don't use one.

Hasn't passed yet, you can follow it here (only in Finnish, sorry): https://www.eduskunta.fi/FI/vaski/KasittelytiedotValtiopaivaasia/Sivut/HE_24+2015.aspx

It has now passed the committees and the first hearing (not sure if that's the correct term though) of the parliament with no changes, from what I've understood, there's still a second hearing and then the president should ratify it, after which it becomes officially a law.

Archived