EUC friendly countries

Jurgen

@Colestien

Well, most politicians focus on politics, anything else they are not really interested in.

Don't expect them to wrap their heads around something as technical as EUC's BMS, LiPo vs LiIion batts, overcharge vs undercharge, etc.

Riders of these devices are (still) a minority, so generalising the problem is the quick fix to keep the larger part of their constituency happy.

This usually means it will get a lot worse before it starts to get any better (when the majority literaly buys into these devices).

• 2 weeks later...
On 14.12.2015 at 2:04 PM, esaj said:

Hasn't passed yet, you can follow it here (only in Finnish, sorry): https://www.eduskunta.fi/FI/vaski/KasittelytiedotValtiopaivaasia/Sivut/HE_24+2015.aspx

It has now passed the committees and the first hearing (not sure if that's the correct term though) of the parliament with no changes, from what I've understood, there's still a second hearing and then the president should ratify it, after which it becomes officially a law.

There was a second hearing 21.12 and now we are just waiting for President Niinistö to ratify. Niinistö is a rollerblader so no problem :)

On 23.12.2015 at 8:31 PM, MarkoMarjamaa said:

There was a second hearing 21.12 and now we are just waiting for President Niinistö to ratify. Niinistö is a rollerblader so no problem :)

Ratified. Will be legal 1.1.2016 :)

Well, it hasn't stopped me before from riding :)

20 minutes ago, MarkoMarjamaa said:

Ratified. Will be legal 1.1.2016 :)

Well, it hasn't stopped me before from riding :)

Hi,

does it mean that when eu (max. speed) is slower than 15km/h you are like normal pedestrian and slower than 25km/h like a bicyclist?

When max. speed is more than 25km/h you are still an outlaw...?

Waiting for an outlaw eu :ph34r:...

18 minutes ago, Pasi said:

Hi,

does it mean that when eu (max. speed) is slower than 15km/h you are like normal pedestrian and slower than 25km/h like a bicyclist?

Who is gonna test the max speed?

If I ride in sidewalk I ride slower than 15km/h and when I ride bike ways I ride slower than 25km/h.

In ratification there's a text that says government has to monitor this laws effects on road safety so my advice is don't be jerks/idiots and we don't get more control.

7 hours ago, Pasi said:

Hi,

http://www.trafi.fi/tietoa_trafista/ajankohtaista/3777/sahkoiset_liikkumisvalineet_liikenteeseen_vuoden_alusta

(sorry, in finnish.)

the speed limits are not eu's max speed but the actual riding speed according to this. So your eu is not the outlaw ( but you might be :)

46 minutes ago, MarkoMarjamaa said:

http://www.trafi.fi/tietoa_trafista/ajankohtaista/3777/sahkoiset_liikkumisvalineet_liikenteeseen_vuoden_alusta

(sorry, in finnish.)

the speed limits are not eu's max speed but the actual riding speed according to this. So your eu is not the outlaw ( but you might be :)

Thanks for that link, it was quite clear. And now we can have 250...1000W bicycle without registration but insurance must have. Mine  250W is just normal  bike like for now.

With eu I will ride very slow on sidewalks and bikeways too. Must not get bad reputation like some cyclist have done. 

I strongly believe my country is EUC friendly...everyone is invited to ride...he'll be the second eucist here ;)

Well, more seriously, no specific regulations for now, you can ride wherever you like on open public ground (except on the highways), but to ride along with the cars in Bulgaria is so dangerous that falls more in suicide category of action.

• 1 month later...
On 30.12.2015 at 11:43 PM, Pasi said:

Thanks for that link, it was quite clear. And now we can have 250...1000W bicycle without registration but insurance must have. Mine  250W is just normal  bike like for now.

With eu I will ride very slow on sidewalks and bikeways too. Must not get bad reputation like some cyclist have done. 

Yesterday was my first EUC ride...legally :)

Hello everybody, my first post here.

Spain at the moment seems to be grey area and it seems that it's going to up to each municipality to set a local ruling.

Here down south I have had many conversation with the cops and they seem to love the wheel. So far so good...

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/14/2016 at 8:23 AM, snakehealer said:

Spain at the moment seems to be grey area and it seems that it's going to up to each municipality to set a local ruling.

Yeah, definitely a grey area here in Spain. But a few changes have taken place since 2016 (for the worse...)

Personal Mobility Vehicles (PMVs, which is the legal category EUCs are in here) are mostly unregulated on a national level. The Directorate General of Traffic can't quite figure out what to do with us, as EUCs don't fit the description of motorised vehicles, but aren't considered pedestrians either, so the only things that are applicable nation-wide (theoretically; more on that later) are the prohibition of riding on the sidewalk (although Murcia appears to disagree, and Barcelona and Madrid have a few nuances of their own on that subject too) and of wearing headphones/earbuds or using your phone while riding. No insurance is required, and theoretically, no helmet either (although Madrid seems to disagree and using a helmet is mandatory). I stress the theoretical component because in theory, local regulations can't contradict nation-wide ones, but as you'll see below, they do anyway in many cases

Beyond that, the law says that we can ride on the road in any town that has passed legislation allowing us to do so (which is a royal pain in the ass because EVERY TOWN can have a different set of regulations...). But then of course, most towns don't have any PMV regulations in place, so it's a grey area, and for the most part, the police ignore you. In larger cities, regulations are being rolled out, and for the most part, EUC limitations are becoming pretty crippling (The laws seem to have been drafted considering them as recreational vehicles and not as a valid means of transportation).

In Barcelona & Madrid we can only ride in bike lanes (roadside or sidewalk) or roads where the max. speed is 30 km/h; not on sidewalks, not on any other roads (ironic considering that both cities have left-leaning, environmentalist mayors). Then, beyond that, more specifically, in these two cities:

• In Madrid you can't go over 20 km/h (ever), and if you ride on the road (only on the roads mentioned before), a bell and lights are mandatory. Minimum age to ride an EUC is 15.

• In Barcelona the max. speed is 30 km/h for bike lanes that are on the road, and 10 km/h for bike lanes on the sidewalk; you can also ride in parks and on pedestrian-only streets at a max. speed of 10 km/h. No lights or bells required. Fines for infringing the regulations go from 100-500€ (in the case of speeding, unless your speed is measured with a radar, which is highly unlikely, it'll depend on the cop who stops you and the mood they're in...). Minimum age is 16. Helmets aren't mandatory unless the EUCs are used for commercial purposes (a lot of Segway rentals in Barcelona).

It's even tougher in Valencia and Murcia:

• In Valencia we're only allowed on bike lanes and max. speed is 15 km/h (fines go from 90€ for riding on the sidewalk to 500€ for riding on the road). Also on sidewalks (as long as they're at least 3m wide) if accompanying a child who's also riding an EUC. Helmets are mandatory for minors.

• In Murcia you're only allowed to ride on the sidewalk and can't go over 5 km/h.

Other cities:

• Zaragoza: Same laws applicable to bicycles: Only bike lanes and sidewalks (funny because nation-wide, bikes aren't aloud on the sidewalk...)
  • Santander: Grey area, no regulations
  • Pamplona: They're working on regulations based on potential danger, but they haven't been approved yet so...still grey.
  • Vigo: Not on sidewalks. No further mention of where...
  • A Coruña: Not on roads. Only on sidewalks where signs specifically allow bicycles and only at walking speed.
  • Granada: Not near the Alhambra (I'm not kidding), and not on hills steeper than 15%. No further details have been provided.
  • Málaga: Only on the sidewalk, max. speed 10 km/h.

Basically, it's a mess (you have to know the specific rules for each city). Outside big cities though...as long as you don't ride on the sidewalk, ride recklessly or put anyone in danger, you should be OK (and I have my doubts on whether you'd get pulled over for riding on the sidewalk anywhere outside of big cities) and the police will either ignore you or find you amusing. Most cops don't know law on PMVs anyway, and in the absence of local regulations, it's easier for them to ignore the issue than do their homework, ask the town/city council or  burden the department (or their boss) with fines whose validity no one is too sure about...

So in a nutshell, it's good old Spanish chaos, with one perk: Good old Spanish lack of giving a *** :efee612b4b:

Archived