Buying used/cheap unicycle to learn on in San Diego

Brand Don

Hey y’all. I just put an order in for a nikola plus unicycle thru ewheels but I have never rode one in my life. I’ve been told to learn on a used unit so I don’t destroy my new nikola. Anyone have a cheap used unit that they are selling? Or willing to teach me? 

• Like 1

I bought the best EUC available at the time (ACM) and learned to ride on that wheel. I bought a bunch of foam at Home Depot and taped it on all "hit points" on the wheel and it survived my learning process just fine.

So I would suggest that you save your money and learn to ride on the Nikola. Buy some 3M No Residue Duct Tape (inexpensive Gaffers Tape substitute) at Home Depot and use it to secure a bunch of foam on your wheel. After a couple of weeks you'll be good enough that you can remove it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I bought the best EUC available at the time (ACM) and learned to ride on that wheel. I bought a bunch of foam at Home Depot and taped it on all "hit points" on the wheel and it survived my learning process just fine.

So I would suggest that you save your money and learn to ride on the Nikola. Buy some 3M No Residue Duct Tape (inexpensive Gaffers Tape substitute) at Home Depot and use it to secure a bunch of foam on your wheel. After a couple of weeks you'll be good enough that you can remove it.

That’s a sound suggestion. Thanks Marty!

• Like 1

The Nikola is big and heavy. Quite a bit bigger and heavier than the ACM that Marty (and I) learned on.

I'm not saying padding up the Nikola and going for it is a bad idea. You can do it (just pad it up everywhere, including the underside of the pedals and pedal hangers).

But if your initial intuition was that you learn on a smaller, lighter, easier to manage wheel, trust it. Trusting your intuition is a big part in all things EUCs, from wheel choice to riding itself. Other people may strictly want to learn on the wheel they will be using later, but that wasn't your first thought.

Buying a cheaper used wheel and selling it a month later for little loss may be the better option for you.

Again, trust your intuition on this:) There's no right or wrong, just more or less suitable and convenient (for you). The definitely right step (getting any EUC) - you already got that right;)

21 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

I've got a 14s you can learn on. We'll talk on Facebook

There you go. Learner wheels like this can always be sold later quite easily, if you go this route (sounds like you may not even have to buy one).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The Nikola is big and heavy. Quite a bit bigger and heavier than the ACM that Marty (and I) learned on.

I'm not saying padding up the Nikola and going for it is a bad idea. You can do it (just pad it up everywhere, including the underside of the pedals and pedal hangers).

But if your initial intuition was that you learn on a smaller, lighter, easier to manage wheel, trust it. Trusting your intuition is a big part in all things EUCs, from wheel choice to riding itself. Other people may strictly want to learn on the wheel they will be using later, but that wasn't your first thought.

Buying a cheaper used wheel and selling it a month later for little loss may be the better option for you.

Again, trust your intuition on this:) There's no right or wrong, just more or less suitable and convenient (for you). The definitely right step (getting any EUC) - you already got that right;)

There you go. Learner wheels like this can always be sold later quite easily, if you go this route (sounds like you may not even have to buy one).

Sorry, I'm right and you're wrong.

;)

• Like 2

@Shad0z recommended me to get a sleeping pad and cover the whole wheel while learning. I did that and dropped the wheel quite a few times, but nothing happened. I also have the Nikola. Just make sure to get a sleeping pad that feelsl likeit can take some hits. Good luck learning :)

• Like 3

Hey Brand,

These all sound like great ideas. If you decide you still want a knock around second wheel or one for a companion to ride with you we have a really rugged used/refurbished wheel available. Great for learning to ride or inviting a friend or family member to come along. SoloWheel Glide 2 for $300 plus shipping. Let us know if you have any interest. https://imgur.com/a/euyS0zD

Enjoy the new ride!

M

• Like 1

If you have friends/want to get other people involved in riding EUC’s I would strongly suggest a starter wheel. That’s assuming you will be the only EUC rider around. 

I know i would never let my friends learn to ride on my 18s (my first real wheel) and even if I tried they would not feel comfortable dropping repeatedly a $2000 wheel that’s not theirs regardless of it has padding on it. 

If I never had a starter wheel or even a 14” wheel and only $2000+ wheels I would have never trained anyone and I would have no one riding with me of the 4 people I’ve trained and converted who now ride with me daily. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...