KS18XL Power Pads

Cuba Gonzalez

Not power-pads, but we (www.roll.nz) make the EUC Bodyguard - intended for protection rather than power, but the EUC Bodyguard does also provide better leg grip (and therefore more power)...

Also available from ewheels.com (for purchase within the USA).

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist

18 hours ago, Cuba Gonzalez said:

Has anyone made Power Pads for Kingsong units? Looking for something like EUC Guy made for the Monster and MXS for my 18XL

Are you looking to buy or to DIY? A local rider had rough prototypes on his 18XL last i saw him. Naturally I loved how the pads felt, since he had copied my design very closely:

14A81215-F0D2-4B5A-8061-F207260E4B46.thumb.jpeg.37820a25193f758c39063e648a7f4921.jpeg

IMG-3710.jpg

In that case, @EUC GUY’s Power Pads are the only commercial ones I know of, but I don’t know if he makes them for the 18XL.

Someone showed a photo of his very nicely made DIY pads, for the Nikola I think. Several interested buyers responded, and he did plan to sell a few. But again, not for the 18XL I’m afraid.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Looking good :wub:. Can you give us a source please where to get them?

Zooming in on the picture you see a water mark. it led me after searching to this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001041496132.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.9.61227c4bzvppVe

If I found the right place I don't know fir sure, but they have it listed on this link.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am ordering them for £60 from aliexpress. May not be the official one but should do the job 😁

Would post the pics but I can't see any options to upload. Any reason why? I'm new here and onky posted twice so don't know if it's a new resteiction thing

I made a pretty elaborate padding/leverage modification for my 18XL. 

The first thing I tried was glueing (liquid nails fuze it) and stitching loop velcro to the roll.nz case.  I bought some foam rollers for a weight lifting set (leg rollers), and cut them into shapes to stick on the case.  I then glued hook velcro to the foam parts.  So with this setup, the foam parts can be disconnected and reconnected as desired/needed.  this is super helpful for the circle piece that goes over the toe, because different shoes have different heights, and that circle is key to keeping the front of foot on the pedal while on bumps, jumping curbs, stairs.  But what I found is the lock in was pretty loose with the case being able to move around so...

I used liquid nails fuze it all surface adhesive to glue loop velcro to the Kingsong outer shell.  I then glued hook onto the inside of the roll.nz case in matching places so the case is absolutely solid on the wheel (getting the case on with all that velcro was super tricky).

So now I have a system with the case really locked onto the wheel, but it can be removed if needed.  I can move the foam pieces around, build more, whatever.  And it's a pretty well protected wheel with the case, layers of flexible glue, velcro.  Be interesting how much weight I added - I'm guessing around a pound.

ks18xl with pads.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! I considered stitching velcro to my cover, but just havent had the nerve to make it look like Sanford owns it :P  Im trying to get by with pads under the cover, but my newest cover is too pretty to risk stretching. I should do some more testing and get over it tho, as having just a little pad in front and back of the top pad, really does up the comfort level while pushing tiltback into the wind. I am having a BAD habit of underestimating my stopping distance.. rear pads sure do help with that too.  You are a brave man @Ben Hatfield, or you just give way less a shit than me and have reached enlightenment sooner than I.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Wow! I considered stitching velcro to my cover, but just havent had the nerve to make it look like Sanford owns it :P  Im trying to get by with pads under the cover, but my newest cover is too pretty to risk stretching. I should do some more testing and get over it tho, as having just a little pad in front and back of the top pad, really does up the comfort level while pushing tiltback into the wind. I am having a BAD habit of underestimating my stopping distance.. rear pads sure do help with that too.  You are a brave man @Ben Hatfield, or you just give way less a shit than me and have reached enlightenment sooner than I.

I think a lot of people would agree that the 18XL is one of the most beautiful wheels money can buy.  If one is riding the 18XL with just the shell exposed, blasting music on a bright sunny day?  People are going to look, and often keep staring.

So mangling the aesthetics for more leverage on the wheel?  still worth it in my opinion.  I'm not a fan of my foot bouncing around on the pedal.  And going up or down steep inclines is comfortable

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Albeit crude, you're definitely innovating with your pad placements. (I especially like the large round one you used for maintaining grip...)

Sure it could look nicer, but once it's shown to work, we can always go back and shape the foam so that it looks a better. (I think you're on to something.)

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 10:00 PM, Enthusiast said:

I ordered these for my Kingson 18XL. They can be ordered now but will not be delivered until early or mid June.

safe_image.jpg

I have had them for some time now. It increased my control over the wheel significantly and I am very happy with them. On my KS18XL I feel they enhance breaking more than accelerating but that is fine with me. My main concern is being able to break properly in steep downhills (and there are plenty where I live). The height is approximately twice the height of the original side pad so the overall feel of control become much better.

• Like 1