What is the best rainproof wheel made from factory?

Unventor

Since my KS16X got water damaged in its power button on its first rain ride. And looking at pictures at how dust and I guess water can enter the wheel. I have now come to the conclusion I need a rainy day wheel. 

I am currently looking at the V10f as best option. I know first batch had issues, but this should be resolved now. And the new pedal update/upgrade seems good to on paper/Web at least. 

So any suggestions and ideas? 

I am not look for a high speed wheel. 30-35kmh will do. Range wise I am looking to get as much as possible but the main point is to get a weatherproof wheel, for rain/vinter days. That is why battery matter as it is less effective in the cold. 

I have not followed the V10f that closely. But I don't think my 80kg will be an issue since I am not a speedster and the overheat issues should not come into play in cold days either. 

This is though of as a backup wheel to avoid damage to my main wheel KS16X. My KS18L is still missing parts. And despite they are underway I still have a rebuild to do... 

I have thought of getting a KS18XL with motor upgrade too. But it looks like the V10f is better in weatherproofing. 

@Jason McNeil I know you made a motor upgrade offer for KS18L/XL . Since you don't operate in EU, do you know if other dealers will do the same? 

• Like 1

I ride today V10F (last rev. QC 5/19)  in 4 celsius medium rain in city 16Km trip i enjoy nice empty streets.I use original V10F cover only. Important after rain i wait 24h to charge again. Wheel is in livingroom temperature 24 hours before charging starts. I ride around 16kmh and accidently hit realy deep hole in street (pure my fault i watch trafic sign not route ) and V10F use 44A current and 3077W power  to save me i was surprised when i se graph/log. Normaly i use warning in euc world (whellog app) at 29A curent when triggers/vibrate i just not push that hard after this trick i can climb all hills here without overload or overheat.i have 115Kg thats why wheel suffer and i need tricks and tweaks :-)  

https://imgur.com/hGrSN9i

hGrSN9i.jpg?1

Edited by DjPanJan
igmur *2

Maybe it would make sense to simply buy a second 16x for rain/offroad/beating up (like learning tricks)? If that's the wheel you enjoy the most, why double the suffering in the rain with an inferior, underpowered, less safe wheel? Of course, you'll need to do some DIY to weatherproof the wheel, but there's nothing some good silicone sealant in right hands won't do to make it withstand even downpour.

The advantages of having same two wheels are obvious: if one breaks, you'll ride the other while the broken one is in service. Same feel, same safety, no need to adjust riding habits. Even if there's a serious problem in one and a different problem in the other, they can exchange "organs" to make one healthy wheel. This can't be done with two different wheels with problems.

• Like 1

A second 16X sounds like a great idea. But weatherproofing a wheel is quite a job if you really want to do it right. V10F might be good in this regard, although the new pedals don’t have any more material added to the common breaking points. The material itself might be better though.

If I had a broken 18L lying around, I think I’d wait for the parts and meanwhile just cover the 16X with a large, tactically taped up plastic bag for the rainy days. I know the shell lets crud in from the bottom as well, so it would need a thorough cleanup once the rainwheel is running.

• Like 2

or buy a bodyguard from the @fatunicyclist.Switches are covered and you drop ur wheel as much as u like and it wont look like a smashed crab! @fatunicylist can tell us more about the waterprotective  benefits of his neoprene covers

• Like 2

Well I just ordered a V10f from Inmotion Global store. With a Inmotion cover. 

So we see what happens. 12500 sek, 1170€ or 1290$. 

As the parts for my KS18L have been long under way, I decided to get V10f. That will be a cheaper wheel if it breaks at least. 

So in future weatherproofing will be high on my need list if I am looking for a new wheel. And for now I don't have to buy 1st batch anymore. 

Edited by Unventor

Hi,

I had some similar questions on waterproofing (read rain, not submerging it), and I use some references like:

And reading here of course ... :-)

• Like 1

Best rainproof wheel? I don't know but I am confident that you will never get water ingress with a Ninebot Z. The sealing is very well thought out and deliberately engineered to work unlike many other wheels I have seen, most of which don't seem to have any thought put into the subject at all. Bit of a niche wheel but then you will already know that :)

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Best rainproof wheel? I don't know but I am confident that you will never get water ingress with a Ninebot Z. The sealing is very well thought out and deliberately engineered to work unlike many other wheels I have seen, most of which don't seem to have any thought put into the subject at all. Bit of a niche wheel but then you will already know that :)

Well the Z10 have other issues that imho makes this a very hard choice to buy. Those that like it, all well for them. But I can't persvade myself to buy one.

I don't have issue with the ride chartaristic, it is more the emergency breaking and how it tends to burn boards. 

So I went with V10f. Maybe it works out maybe not. If it doesn't I probably sell it. 

BTW @Jason McNeil thank you for your response above.

So what does it take for you to persvade euc manufactory to make a weatherproof wheel?

Now you got the Jason pedals named after you 😉 aka XL KS pedals. 

I can't be the only one looking to get a KS16X or KS18X (big 18" of KS16X) weather edition.... 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

As for my KS18L... Still no news on my ordered parts. But I will start chasing this after payday on Monday.